Match Discussion: Swans v Nottingham Forest - Championship 2020/21

edited February 18 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Nottingham Forest Championship game on Wednesday, 17 February 2021 at 7pm.

Referee Geoff Eltringham will be assisted by Richard Wild and Mark Pottage, with Kevin Johnson the 4th Official for the game.

Take a look at the Swansea City v Nottingham Forest Head to Head Statistics since the first meeting between the clubs at the Vetch Field in 1925.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments and team selection.

Comments

• Will be a more difficult game than the F A cup game , Chris Hughton is an experienced coach , will have learned a lot about us from the previous game .

All our boys should be fit and raring to go , play at a quick tempo , pass and move and smash them

• It will interesting if they allow us the space to play that they did in the FA Cup. I doubt it, I believe we will have to grind out a result midweek

JackaremeSeaJack
  • Our nemesis Glenn Murray has joined them

• They have not lost a game, since we beat them in the Cup. 2 draws & 2 wins

• edited February 15

Everyone is really cheery on here, including me!

• Watched the whole game Forest v Bournemouth last Saturday (for obvious reasons). Yes they have stiffened up with some senior pros - BUT they were incapable of protecting the ball and passing it accurately.

Also suspect at the back (despite a clean sheet) Figueredo a particular favorite of mine - hope he plays.

If we play up tempo and on the front foot I see a win - But not by 4-5.

Positive enough @JackRaven ?

JackRaven
  • Korey Smith and Yan Dhanda are fit and available for Swansea City’s Championship fixture against Nottingham Forest.

Smith, 30, has been sidelined for a handful of weeks after picking up a quad strain, but he has returned to training and is in the mix for Wednesday night’s Liberty Stadium clash.

Dhanda, meanwhile, is also fit after picking up a knee complaint during the FA Cup defeat to Manchester City.

“We trained, so it wasn’t a weekend off (because the Sheffield Wednesday game was postponed),” said head coach Steve Cooper.

“Yan is okay, he had felt his knee in the Manchester City game, he needed a couple of days with a twinge but he has recovered quite well. He is fine.

"Korey is training too, so fingers crossed he is back with us now and available for games. He has trained well too.

“He is a really positive influence, on and off the pitch. You can see his personality in how he plays, he wants to be involved in everything.

“He was always visible on a matchday and at the training ground, but he has done well for us this year and we are glad to have him around again.

“We still have long-term injuries like Liam Cullen, Wayne Routledge, Steven Benda, Brandon Cooper and Tivonge Rushesha. They are not close to being back with us."

• During the game against Bournemouth the commentator said that Forest had the third best record in the last 10 games after Brentford and ourselves. Although they didn't offer much in attack they denied Bournemouth a single shot on target. We won't win this if we go into this game with any sort of complacency.

• Tough one this. Usual shape with Lowe and Ayew up top. 1-0

• Forest have lost just 1 game in their last 10 League matches.

They have won 5 and drawn 4.

But 3 of those wins, while away from home, 2 were against bottom of the table teams: Wycombe, Coventry. And the draw was at a malfunctioning Stoke.

While they will probably be a much tougher nut than the Cup game, their form on the Road is still open to question.

• Yes @Mark_Jack_London - and I do like the eye ball test as well as stats. If anyone watched Forest v Bournemouth the thing that would have stood out (at least it did for me) was the panic hoof from the back to an immobile Murray and the inability to string more than 3 passes together when pressed in midfield.

They were semi dangerous from set pieces - but my overall assessment of their quality was very low (Knockaert the exception when he wasn't throwing himself to the floor or whining like a little girl).

37% possession at home was a fair summing up of the game and their sole ambition was scrapping for a point. They also set up to defend deep and this will be perfect for Roberts and Bidwell to hold advanced positions unless they suddenly change plan.

I expect us to have 60% possession and with Hourihane Grimes and Fulton in midfield I believe we will create enough chances to win.

Mark_Jack_London
  • There might be 19 games to go and even though Swans are at the brink of an automatic promotion place, tonight’s game v Forest will not only be a test of our players’ quality but I have no doubt, more importantly of character. Make no mistake, the position of having games in hand have absolutely no relevance until teams like Forest and then Huddersfield are put to the sword. It doesn’t have to be convincingly, one goal will be sufficient.

Forest arrive at the Liberty on the back of being unbeaten in the league in 5 away matches since early December, the last three being won, and while some amongst us will take comfort from the cup win, the Forest formation of 4-2-3-1 and players utilised has become quite a well oiled, confident outfit.

Losing our first game in hand or even drawing will become a burden on some players for the next game and this where the human character kicks in with the players, or in some cases it doesn’t.

Attaining an automatic promotion, especially when 2/3 or even 4 teams are in competition for one of the two places on offer demands consistency to grind out those results that will set teams apart when the games get fewer.

The Championship promotion race, unlike those in previous seasons where at least one, and sometimes two teams have practically booked their place in the PL weeks before the season is completed is going to be different this season where Norwich and Brentford can be caught by ourselves or Watford while what also needs to be remembered is that there is always going to be a team that will make a late run for the Play Offs and there is no absolutely no guarantee that the team finishing in third place will be the best placed to win that game in the final.

Show that quality and character tonight, move on to Huddersfield on Saturday.

deekayRGD
  • Agree with most of your post , I think we are in a stronger position this season than last , we have more points a better place in the league a better side .

The most important part for me is we are much more experienced in key areas , Bennett at the back , Hourihane in midfield plus the team is one year older and wiser ,

The manager is more experienced , the blend of the team is ideal , every challenge they have been set they have passed .

Looking forward to another big game , 19 cup finals to come ,

The surprise team could be those up the road , that test is on the horizon

• Malc,

yes, we have a more experienced squad this season but last season we came with a late run and a different type of pressure on the players than the pressure imposed by being a front runner when teams below you, especially the ones battling relegation will raise their game and will only look a poor team when they are behind by a couple of goals.

Cooper hasn't got the experience of a dogfight in his locker while you can bet that McCarthy up the road will draw on his experience at this level of getting one over his opponent no matter what it takes.

• Don't you think we have a better team and a much stronger squad , the experience of Bennett and Hourihane who have been there and succeeded will be crucial .

We also have a team of scrappers , Ayew and Roberts were hurt being relegated , this side know how to win .

Hopefully we will only have one game against McCarthy .

Let's be honest it was a complete fluke how we pinched 6th last season ,

• The remaining 19 matches almost feel like the start of a new season. Having matches in hand means having extra banana skins to navigate. It has felt like it will go down to thw wire for sometime.

At times its as if SC has prepared the squad for this part of the season with his mantra, of one match at a time, which appears to me to be more than the normal cliche.

I do wonder sometimes if he has been preparing the squad for perhaps what is not the start of a new season, but the start of an international competition and we are about to start the group stages but will soon be in the sudden death element when the six point matches start.

The results to date against teams, will give us little indication of the likely outcome when next we play them, and we need to continue to work as hard as we have so far, but may need to up our game even further.

Injuries and suspensions will be very important and our mental strength will be tested as never before.

Everyone will need to perform including all the new additions, so hopefully we can start tonight.

COYS

• Malc,

There's no doubting we are a better team and a stronger squad and I pinpointed Bennett when we signed him how influential he would become. Not quite sure I agree with you that we have a team of scrappers but what we don't know is how much bottle we have as the games count down, and if we lose a couple of matches, how we cope to get back on track.

Whether you think it was a fluke last season, I am more inclined to think the Forest team didn't have that character I am hoping we possess, when the pressure really ramped up on them.

• The fluke being we won 4= 1 and they lost 4 = 1 didn't see that happening at half time ,

You have to say how good Stoke were , they need to win by that margin and surprised Forest fell apart .

The scrappers I see are Connor , Jay , Korey , Andre plus Bennett and Hourihane .

• Colin, while they may be unbeaten in 5 away games, look at who the opposition were.

They beat Wycombe and Coventry, who are staring down the relegation hole.

And drew with Stoke - who have imploded since injury to their main striker. And Millwall - another team who's form has been abject at times.

The only scalp of note was Preston on 2 Jan, which they won 1 nil, and Preston had more shots, and more shots on target during the match.

And they lost at home to Boro, let's not forget, a team that also went off the boil recently.

We should be beating Florist if we have any designs on automatic promotion.

Same goes for Huddersfield, who in their last 5 games have lost 3 drawn 2. And who they have lost to is significant too. Wycombe and an injury ravaged Bristol City, on a woeful run of form that cost their manager his job this week. They also lost to Plymouth in the Cup!

• Mark,

yes I appreciate what you say and my main concern is all about our mentality going into the game, over confidence, hopefully not, while a run of unbeaten matches does give teams under a new manager a lot of confidence.

• Here's a link for the digital match programme if anyone wants a read:

• I think the only over confidence will come from us.

I think the players and management know difficult this season is game by game. Physically and mentally.

• Good news , Sammy Ameobi , Scott McKenna and Samba Sow miss out injured , that's a lot of Ssssssss

Good to see Ameobi missing scored a couple against last year .

• So what team are we looking at:

.....................................................Freddie.........................................................

...................Kyle............................Ryan..............................Guehi....................

Connor...........................Jay............................Matt.............................Bidwell

.................................................Hourihane.......................................................

..........................Ayew.....................................................Lowe.........................

Perhaps Cabango for Kyle is the only change I can see SC making.

Jackareme
  • Agree with this. Personally go with Cabango for tonight. Tough game where I expect us to have more of the ball. 1-0, Lowe

• I thought Lowe looked a little over worked and heavy legged against City in the cup - and only Cooper and staff would truly know. But out of left field it wouldn't totally shock me to see Morris and Ayew with Lowe from the bench.

The extra pace would be devastating against the Forest defenders who look very one paced.

JackRaven
  • I would say that is a good team to put out, where we had to keep Naughton in reserve sometimes to cover a few positions, that is no longer the case, Looking at subs we have Latibeaudiere and Cabango to cover CB Manning to cover Bidwell, Roberts covered by Arriola, Smith and Dhanda to cover midfield and Morris and Whittaker covering up front, it just about has room for Hamer as the 9th sub, this is the strongest squad we have ever had in all positions, if we cant get straight up with this lot, we never will. a win tonight is a must, otherwise the games in hand might be useless as I cant see Norwich and Brentford slipping up tonight, it would be nice though

• It's good to have options, and I'm looking forward to seeing players like Morris and Arriola have their chance, perhaps Morris might get some time tonight.

A 1-0 will do for me tonight to get us back on track.

• Need some more goals as the others have been reducing the goal difference lately

• @Gingergit

I can't argue with that after all I have said. Just concerned for tonight: 1-0 will do, I hope for more but the win tonight is most important!

Phew feeling nervous.

😬