No fans in the Grounds

Do you think having no fans in the ground is helping the Swans ?the results since the first lockdown is very impressive .

Maybe the players are under less pressure with no home crowd , results through the top 2 leagues show there doesn't appear to a great advantage playing at home .

Certain clubs thrive on the atmosphere generated by their crowd 50,000 fans in Anfield , Old Trafford , Elland Road and the Spurs stadium must make a difference ,

In the Championship grounds are so quiet communication must be easier .

Hopefully in August with the start of the next season we can all meet up again .

enaitch

Comments

• There is a consensus of opinion that the lack of crowds at games is an advantage for the visiting team but shouldn't we look more towards the fact that with a league consisting of home and away it's more like swings and roundabouts.

For so many players it can be a downside where contact between a manager / coach as far as barking out orders are concerned and no real excuse for a player to ignore whatever's been shouted at them, but there again with crowds there is an excuse.

enaitch
  • One thing is that if a home team have a stinker of a game / performance there’s no 20000 odd managers booing them off at half /full time which doesn’t effect them as bad . The Swans have a good home/ away record this season without fans and both are very similar so perhaps they are benefiting with no fans better than others

• We would boo them off on here instead @enaitch 😎

enaitch
  • It's a very interesting question Malc.

It is more than possible that it has helped our team more than it hasn't.

The reason I say that is that we can at times be a pretty demanding bunch (guilty as charged!) about how we play football.

Let's face it, there have been a good half a dozen to a dozen performances since lockdown where we have been pretty dismal, but managed to grind out points. Had there been fans in the stadium for these games, I'm not so sure we'd have collected as many points because the crowd would have been on their backs for much of it.

You'll never hear Cooper or the players admit that though!

deekay
  • Talking of crowds, How come Ive just watched 3 days of cricket fans packed together (In one stand at least) in India ?

I know India is the fastest country to reach 1 million COVID-19 vaccinations - in six days,and it’s ongoing massively, but surely it’s too early to have a stand packed full of fans, all going bananas, shouting for India, mostly without masks?

While over here you can’t even play on the golf course, on your own, in the fresh air

We’ve had over 15 million people already vaccinated, can’t be long for limited numbers returning to sporting events, surely?

And before anyone says it...”Don't call me Shirley!“

• @J4cka

Surely you wouldn't expect anyone to call you Shirley ?

• I’ve been called a lot worse!! 😁

deekay
  • They value a cows life over a persons, so that about sums up the logic there

• England could have 10,000 fans in by mid May , some light at the end of the tunnel .

• Way too early. We're still seeing hundreds of dead every day and the government wants schools back open in a few weeks, which is going to see the rise begin all over again.

Vaccination program is going well but it's not an instant fix.

• In 11 weeks time things will have improved , all the vulnerable people should be vaccinated , we will be going into Spring/Summer more people outside , last year things improved through May , June and July , the Vaccines will help hospitalization and Deaths .

People will be more wary .

• Our numbers are the same as they were when the "Christmas Truce" led to a horrific spike in cases and deaths. And now we're set to open out again. It's a lovely thought that vaccines and "being more wary" mean can have our cake and eat it, but relaxing restrictions now and expecting rates to keep dropping doesn't seem realistic to me. More likely we face another rising wave of cases and find ourselves no closer to the end of that tunnel. Maybe next year.

garythenotrashcougar
  • We are not talking about now , 11 weeks time , more people vaccinated , late spring, weather warmer , fans outside .

You can have mask wearing , sanitizers , maybe temperature tests to mitigate the risk

Obviously you need to see the situation improve , less cases , less deaths , less people in hospitals , more people will have been vaccinated .

The situation in 11 weeks time could be completely different to today

• Unfortunately although most people are and have been sensible throughout this last 12 months there is still a minority who could not care less about anyone but themselves and they could cause a problem in the medium term....picture this...so many thousand allowed at the Liberty and queues at the turnstiles awaiting tests etc before entry all peaceful and along come fans from the local pubs who dont like queueing and want to get in to get to seats that they want to sit or stand in......lets wait until at least the start of next season when a lot more has been learnt of this horrible disease

• The date mentioned wouldn't affect us our last game in the regular season finishes on May 8 th ,

The premier league last games are on may 23rd ,

• Malc,

whilst I agree with your post - in view of a possible period of relatively good weather and having witnessed the mad rush by people to get 'some fresh air' and a feeling that a minority will possess the attitude "I have had the jab and it won't affect me," I do have concerns, especially when the pubs re-open. As for the football I will look forward hopefully to a home match next Boxing Day!!

azzuriswan
  • I won't consider any match attendance for a good while.As last summer and autumn showed alcohol means more to some than common sense,vaccination or not.

• I'm looking forward to August and the new season regardless of which league we are in , meeting friends I have not seen since last March, sharing stories and maybe sweets ,

This disease is not going away , we are all going to learn to live with it.

• Vaccine-only access is likely to be the way forwards, probably for next season as well. It certainly likely to be for holidays and frankly it makes sense.

• Not sure how this makes sense as there are far too many legal and moral pitfalls involved with this idea. It will almost certainly be challenged legally especially where employers are forcing employees to be vaccinated. There are issues of discrimination and public knowledge of medical history, a simple solution it is not.

• edited February 24

@Malaga

I understand your concerns and personally I share some of them. However It's hard to argue its discrimination, as covid-19 is a serious medical issue.

I wouldnt want either of my parents to live in a care home unless all the care workers were vaccinated, therefore those who employ care workers who arent vaccinated will struggle to stay in business.

The same applies to holidays, you have to have certain vaccine injections already to travel to certain countries so this is no different, except the country say Italy or Australian may not let you into the country without a vaccine.

Everyone has the right to not have a vaccine but one of the consequences is they allow the virus to potentially infect them and mutate into a variant that could infect everyone else and cause more deaths.

In all societies we have responsibilities as well as rights.

• Well it certainly would be discrimination, and as you can still be infectious and transmit covid 19 after being vaccinated it rather makes the idea pointless anyway. It certainly would divide people and there will be many who will be discriminated against who cannot have a vaccine for medical reasons. There is also the issue of data protection and people's private medical history. There are a lot of complicated issues with this, far more than just" I want my jab so I can go to the footy/pub/holiday.

• edited February 24

@Malaga

I understand your concerns but its only discrimination in my understanding if its a result of age, sex, race or disability and choosing not to have a vaccination isnt one of those categories.

Its more in the category of a requirement such as you need a driving licence to drive a car on the road, you need a medical certificate to be a pilot and to skydive and you need a yellow fever vaccine in order to go to somewhere like Angola.

Its a responsibility to the rest of society not to increase the risk of transmission and the development of variants, its not really different to the requirements of lockdown to stay at home.

StephenRmoorlands
  • I'm 100% against the idea of vaccination 'passports' or forcing people to download an app to prove their vaccine status, which is another thing that was mentioned in recent days. It's far too Big Brother for me. And I don't trust this current shitshow of a govt with Big Data. So no thanks.

I am 100% on board with getting the vaccine though, and encouraging as many as people as possible to get it.

Most people will. Thankfully.

If a small minority of numpties won't, then that's their pidgin. They risk death, or serious illness, or long term health problems even if they do recover. Their choice. Clowns.

Unfortunately we have to live with numpties in society every day, impacting our lives to a greater or lesser extent, in different ways. This will be no different.

In the meantime, there's enough evidence to show that those who get the jab are not only well protected personally, but transmission is also reduced. If most people get the jab, as expected, then it should dwindle to become something in society that is manageable. It's unlikely we'll ever completely eradicate it anyway.

moorlands
  • @garythenotrashcougar

unfortunately they endanger everyone else, and i dont want my parents dying from a new variant because some numpty thinks their right to mix with people who are taking their responsibility to society seriously gives them the right to put them in danger.

If only 10% of the population dont get the vaccine it will continue to spread and mutate, if it does then the third wave could be worst than the second.

• If you vaccinate 100% it will still spread, it only reduces the risk of catching it not preventing it.

• It's more that the risk of transmission after vaccination is currently unknown and not sufficiently tested rather than the vaccine being proven to have no effect.

• @Gingergit

No it won't but it can still mutate but the likelihood is much lower and we will have more time to develop new vaccines.

If everyone has done their best to mitigate the impact that is all we can do, but if some havent fully delivered on their responsibility to society and expect to be able to increase the risk then they are to blame for the deaths that occur.

Those that support that approach are like Thatcher who didnt believe in society. I dont want my parents to be at more risk of dying because of selfish individuals believe their right to not have the vaccines supercedes my parents right to live.

• edited February 24

@Gingergit

All the current vaccines reduce the chances of spreading the virus by about 70%-80% as well as the risk of catching it by 85%-95%.

• @JackRaven

Ultimately, as much as you might not like it, no one has the right to mandate what someone else does with, or puts into, their own body.

It's like Jehovah's witnesses. I think they're batshit crazy mental. They would rather see their own children die, than allow them to have a blood transfusion. But, it's their right to have their beliefs.

Same as someone who doesn't want a vaccine - whether it's because they think they're being microchipped, or they have genuine medical reasons - has the same agency over their own body.

We don't have to agree with it, but we must accept it. Otherwise we are heading into very dangerous territory.

Gingergit