East Bank, Vetch Field

How many of us have watched a game from this bank.

WebmasterbigoakJackareme

Comments

• I can't claim to have been around when it looked like that Colin, but when it became the East Terrace, I spent many a happy hour with my Dad there between 1991 and 1994 until I was old enough to start going on my own, and gravitated back towards the North Bank.

Some very happy memories in front of that terrace:

- Jimmy Gilligan's winner v Spurs in League Cup 1991

- consolation goal against the might of Monaco in ECWC in the same year

- Chopper Harris winner v Cardiff

- Andy Mac and Martin Hayes goals in the play off semi v West Brom in 93

And, years later, I was in the East Stand for the Hull game!

SeaJack
  • Those slippery old railway sleepers!!

Never watched from there, but used to cross over with my Dad to the way out for the walk home at the end of the match.

Not my preferred choice of watching a game from behind the goal,but watched the WBA classic in the Laudrup era from behind the goa,l and saw the three goals in front of me, and that was unforgettable.

SeaJack
  • Always had to admire the hardy souls who watched the game from that bank in poor weather rather than shelter on the North Bank while the highlight on many a gloomy match was to check out the half-time scores as they were put up.

• Watched a game against Cardiff City in the Welsh Cup , no memories of the game itself .

• I was there Col. I even climbed up the ladder one game and stood where the chap who put the half time scores up was situated.

• Only time I remember standing in the east was for the Wales Scotland game in 81

• Spent most of the 1977-78 promotion season on the East Bank. My mum insisted that the North Bank was "too dangerous" for a youngster like me!! 🙄

• Only on the bank twice, but both games were memorable and similar in many respects.

There only because the expected attendance was large and I thought it would be safer than the North bank.

Both games ended up with 6 goals, most of them scored at the West stand end.

Both played in fine weather before crowds on or near to 24,000.

V Cardiff City in March 1960 ended 3-3, Swans fighting back after going 3 down early in the second half.

V Leeds United in Aug 1981 ended 5-1, first ever game in the top tier of league football.

For the majority of games I stood on the North bank with friends, but for some reason went alone to both these games.

• Not many on the East Bank for this match v Grimsby Town in October 1972

• I remember the East Bank well, and those railway sleepers were always slippy as they seemed permanently wet.

The view was good and if you were lucky at halftime you could sneak into the North Bank at the corner, but you had to get your timing right.

I remember one match against Bradford Park Avenue, first of all as we won 5-0, but disappointed that their shirts were red with yellow around the neck, whereas I was sure they wore a great red and yellow striped kit.

It was only the next season in October when we played Bradford City in Division 3 that I realised I had got my Bradford's mixed up and we won that one as well. Good times.

• My greatest memory of that East bank was the first season under Tosh 1977-78 and an April game at home to Hartlepool. I was standing on the sleeper right behind the goal as a 15 year old with a couple of mates - and it was the first time i was allowed to go on my own - my Dad had said I could only go if I didn't stand on the North Bank (where he and I went normally). The North Bank was apparently full of unsavory characters!!

The game ended up as an 8-0 win with the bulk of the goals at that end. A remarkable game by any standards - and I have a very sketchy memory of George Smith getting on the scoresheet - who was a real character at the time.

Those pictures brought back some wonderful memories - I could almost taste the air more than 40 years later!

• Jackareme,

George was skipper of the Hartlepool team that day and his discontent at his team's performance saw him make his own way home. A terrific midfielder who came to the Swans towards the end of his career and quite an astute signing by Harry Griffiths to lead youngsters like Curt, Robbie and Speedy while Charlo followed later.

• Shows how sketchy my memory was - I remember George leading the swans - thought it was in that season! - and incidentally heard some very amusing but unrepeatable anecdotes about him as a Swan - but that is another story.

I am not an ardent believer in Wikipedia - and certainly respect your historical knowledge @Colin_swansea - but Wikipedia suggests I was correct and that he joined Hartlepool AFTER the Swans??

George Smith (footballer, born 1945) - Wikipedia

• @Jackareme George Smith was playing for Hartlepool , played for the Swans before joining Hartlepool ,

The match was played on April Fools Day , 2 Hatricks Robbie and Curt , I was there enjoy the Goal fest

Jackareme
  • My first games in 1961/2 were all down at the front of the East Terrace. One of the best was beating Liverpool (the Second Division Champions) , with Roger Hunt and Ron Years in their side. Followed by going to the back of the main stand to try for autographs (a huge scrum of boys).

• Jackareme,

George did lead the Swans but not at the start of the 77/78 season and he made just 8 appearances before he was transferred to Hartlepool in 27th October 1977 taking up a player coach role along with former Middlesbrough team mate Billy Horner.

Jackareme
  • From Stuart Bookers article in the excellent "100 years of Swansea City FC"

I was there, on the East Bank sleepers!

On Saturday 17 February 1968, Arsenal visited the Vetch Field  to play Swansea Town in the Fourth round of the FA Cup. With Arsenal a First Division side, a cup upset was what the Fourth Division Swans aimed to achieve. The Vetch Field broke its record attendance, as 32,796 spectators squeezed in.  Fans remember being squeezed into the ground ‘like sardines’.

A header from Arsenal superstar Bobby Gould was to be the only goal of the game. Gould’s goal ended Swansea’s dream of a cup upset on a historic afternoon. Bert Mee, Arsenal’s manager, felt Swansea were ‘too good a footballing team to be lost in the obscurity of the Fourth Division’.[1]