โ€บ

Match Discussion: Brentford v Swans - Championship Play-Off Final 2020/21

edited May 30 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss all things related to the Brentford v Swans Championship Play-Off Final on Saturday, 29 May 2021 at 3pm.

Referee Chris Kavanagh will be assisted by Daniel Cook and Sian Massey-Ellis, with David Coote the 4th Official for the game.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments and team selection.

ยซ134567

Comments

• So here we are then. One game away from a Premier League return.

I'd like to think that Cooper comes up with a game plan to allow us a chance on that big old Wembley pitch. A plan that will involve trying to keep hold of the ball a lot better than we did over two legs against Barnsley. I think that will give us a better chance of doing something. Because if we don't, and we keep kicking the ball back to them, they have very good attacking players who will eventually hurt us.

Far more likely though he will do what he usually does and sacrifice possession for shape, and hope for an individual player to provide a spark. In a one off game, you never know. And, to be fair, that approach has worked many times this season.

All the pressure is on Brentford. They are bookies favourites, they finished higher in the league, it's their second final in a row, they've failed several times in the playoffs. For us, the pressure isn't there, it's a free swing. It's a good place to be.

My heart says we grind out an ugly 1-0 win thanks to a piece of Ayew magic.

My head says Brentford enjoy the lion's share of possession and chances and win comfortably, 3-1.

I hope my head turns out to be wrong!

SeaJackJackareme
  • Deffo an ugly 1-0, its been a theme this season ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• As the Wembley pitch is no bigger than the Liberty (actually 1 yard wider) he won't be changing anything for that reason, I am sure ๐Ÿ˜‰

• I am in the ballot.

Good luck to everyone else who chances their arm.

And thanks to all those that dont! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜˜

Jackareme
  • The style always matters to me, however in a one off match the result is all that counts.

SC will do what he believes is needed, I hope that will be enough.

• I'm hanging my hat on the fact that Cooper knows how to play tournament football and ultimately this is the final of a 46 game tournament! I have said on a number occasions on here that I have not enjoyed watching our brand of football of late and some may understandably say "don't watch it then" but I'm Swansea born & bred and have been watching them initially at the Vetch since 1976 so I have to watch as they are my one & only team. I was critical, possibly unfairly, of the performance in both of the Barnsley games but on reflection understand that it was a means to an end i.e. winning the tie. I feel that the final may also be a case of digging in and hoping for a bit of inspiration from someone like Ayew or Grimes but in this one off match it's just about getting the win. I just hope that going forward, whatever division we are in, we can get back to playing a style of football that's easier on the eye.

FyldeJackDenmarkJack
  • The final irrespective of the result will be Coopers final game !

• It's funny because I was gutted when Wigan poached Roberto, devastated when Liverpool poached Brendan and even extremely disappointed when Brighton took Potter but don't feel anything about Cooper going to Palace (or elsewhere). I am alone in that ?

Jackaremegarythenotrashcougar
  • I feel the universe turning beneath our feet from the weight of the hubris on that site, and it is changing the course of history.

Steve Cooper's final match, their arrogance and Sky Sports desperately wanting them to win, are all going to result in a conjunction that will leave tears in their and Thomas Frank's eyes.

The tears are just beginning to form, can you see them?

azzuriswanRhydian
  • Nope, you're not alone at all.

Steve Cooper may get results, but he is also responsible for some of the most aesthetically unappealing football we've ever seen at either the Vetch or the Liberty. And I've sat through the Alan Cork, John Hollins and Garry Monk eras.

Hopefully he finishes the job on Saturday, Palace or WBA come in and fork out a wedge for him, we shake his hand and thank him and both parties move on happy. That would be the best possible outcome for me.

deekayGardo
  • How would you feel if he did go to WBA and with better backing took them straight up. We bring in a manager who has us playing beautiful football but sadly despite the passing and the culture we are just not hard enough to cope with many teams and finish mid table at best maybe worse. Then the board, knee - ****** said manager out and we have another man come in wanting us to play gorgeous football but alas despite this we fail even more are relegated and find ourselves in league one, with no money, owners who desperately want out but cant give us away and will not sanction money for the team. Will you be as happy and chipper then?

• Wow @Steve there were a million variables in your scenario beforee gary could get to the end point.

The biggest what if would be IF Cooper leaves and we start passing the ball and win a few games in the Premier League.

Nobody thought we could do it the last time either..

SeaJackgarythenotrashcougar
  • i think we will see a different Swansea against the Bees. The set up against Barnsley was to counteract their physical head tennis approach and slow them down by Freddie consistently kicking the ball out of play and the defence kicking the ball up field behind their back line slowing down the game. Any real class was shown by us twice for our two goals. I would rather see us attack the Bees as the best form of defence is attack...we have the players that can do it.

Mark_Jack_London
  • Steve the detractors are just hellbent on destroying good things...they don't see how difficult a season this has been...they just want 'entertainment'. Cooper has been in the crosshairs ever since he took the job....he can't be faulted on results so they go for the football instead because they don't recognise the huge effort from all concerned at the club in a uniquely hard season.

Can you imagine what it would be like if we weren't one win away from the PL?

We have ridiculous fans on here who give not one iota of credit. moaning is in the DNA of some people.

FyldeJackmoorlands
  • I'm not moaning Pablo, and I'm no detractor.

As I have said on a number of occasions, I only want what is best for Swansea City.

I believe there is another, better way of doing things because I've witnessed it happen with my own eyes, just 10 years ago.

I don't like the fact we've become a shithouse team that will resort to anything to win a game of football. I believe we are actually above that. We spent years taking the piss out of Cardiff for lumping the ball up to Bothroyd and co, now we are that team. We can be better than that. We should be better than that.

If you're the huge fan you always portray yourself to be, you'd understand that, and you certainly wouldn't criticise other fans for it.

azzuriswandeekayGardo
  • Looking forward to the Brentford game .

Well the plan is working , I wanted Barnsley in the Semi final , I always thought over 2 games we would have the quality to beat them , Ayew and Grimes proved that .

Brentford will a totally different game , they will be confident their style of play will win , they will unlikely press us high , which will give us room to bring back the passing game,

We need to play like the 2 games against Norwich and the away game at Brentford those 3 games proved we can play with style and panache .

Play like we did against Barnsley we will lose , they do create chances , Toney and Mbeumo Marcondes have done well all season .

• Wayne Routledge (ACL) and Ollie Cooper (ankle) both set to miss the final ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

• I see Hounslow has gone into a local lock down of sorts. Will Brentford be allowed to travel to the game? Got to be question marks over it being allowed to go ahead.

• PL referee Chris Kavanagh has been named the referee for the Play Off Final on Saturday around ten months after being the referee in the Play Off second leg, Brentford v Swans last season!!!

• There appears to be rumours going around that the game could be behind closed doors because of a spike of coronavirus in the Hounslow district...

• Lads, have a look at your bank and notice if you have any 'pending transactions'. That may be a clue whether you have been successful in the ballot or not..

• Bizarrely Colin all four of the officials are the same!

• I'm on my way to Wembley, Swans are going to do it again!

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฉ

JoHJackaremeSeaJackMalc
  • edited May 25

mis reported - by Govt not the paper.

At least the Tory Govt are consistently shite in their comms on Covid!

There are no restrictions in any of the areas where there are outbreaks.

• Missed out on the semi final, but lucky on the final. I'll take that ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

JackaremeMark_Jack_LondonSeaJackMalcGareth08