Academy Preparations for 2021/22

edited July 7 in Swansea City

Good to hear, slghtly formally, the plans for the Academy.

It makes sense to focus on this story now, but more interesting to see if its actually happens.

Hopefully not just a cynical story to reduce expectations on getting th eplayers in that the team needs.

A good start would be to start showing the matches even just recorded versions. I, for one, would want to see both the u23s and u18s play.

Comments

• Anyone know why the matches are not being shown?

Is it cost or not being in a higher academy status or something else?

• possibly down to a lack of available staff in the media dept. so cash being partly to blame.

Covid rules also could play a part. Whereby the same personnel, who would film matched, would film the first team, and bubbles prevent them being anywhere near those players.

Webmaster
  • To be fair to them, the media department have upped their game since Mark Allen's appointment and one hopes that the new season ahead will see a different approach from the club in televised matches, albeit at the cost involved.

• If not are there any 'youtubers' who might be interested and capable? I'd be a patreon to support someone to do this.

Jackareme

• The start of last season saw very few editorials and videos placed on the Official site, let alone match reports and information from the academy but to be fair since Mark Allen took over at the academy, followed by a new Head of Media at the club - Ben Johnson I think there has been a sizeable improvement. Match reports from the academy U18's & U23's at the start of the season were virtually non-existent unless the opposing club posted a report and while it's not as good as it was in the PL seasons one hopes the improvement continues as the new season draws closer.

• I think you mean Ben Donovan @Colin_swansea 😀

To the best of my knowledge, the lack of video/photographic coverage for the Academy teams is due to limited resources in the media department and of course the restrictions around Covid (in terms of team protocols) - as @Mark_Jack_London said.

Of course ultimately it all goes back to finances and the lack of it being available to provide the additional staff/service costs associated with delivering such a service.

• perhaps not applicable to this academy thread but a good video from Pennyhill Park that unearthed new names of behind the scenes personnel.

Video | Behind the scenes at Pennyhill Park | Swansea (swanseacity.com)

Jackareme
  • Yes good video, always good to see the people doing the work behind the scenes, but vital nevertheless.

• Still no interview with the boss though...

Jackareme
  • Academy fixtures up on the OS,

U23's,

The under-23s will play their first friendly away at Trefelin on Tuesday, July 20 (6.30pm) before hosting Barry Town the following Saturday at 5.30pm.

They will then entertain Larkhall on July 27 (7.30pm), before heading on their travels once more to take on Weston Super Mare at 3pm on Saturday, July 31 (3pm).

The development side will round off their pre-season schedule with home games against Bath and AG Academy on Tuesday, August 3 (7.30pm) and Saturday, August 7 (3pm) respectively.

The under-18s visit Merthyr Saints on July 20 (7pm) before hosting Newport County on July 24 (12pm).

They face Ynysygerwn the following Monday (7pm) at Llandarcy Academy of Sport before Bristol Rovers visit Landore on July 31 (12pm).

And Anthony’s side will finish their schedule with away games against West Brom on August 3 (7.30pm) and Merthyr Town on August 7 (1pm).

Swansea City Under-23s pre-season fixtures

Tuesday, July 20 – Trefelin (a) – 6.30pm

Saturday, July 24 – Barry Town (h) – 5.30pm

Tuesday, July 27 – Larkhall (h) – 7.30pm

Saturday, July 31 – Weston Super Mare (a) – 3pm

Tuesday, August 3 – Bath (h) – 7.30pm

Saturday, August 7 – AG Academy (h) – 3pm

Swansea City Under-18s pre-season fixtures

Tuesday, July 20 – Merthyr Saints (a) – 7pm

Saturday, July 24 – Newport County (h) – 12pm

Monday, July 26 – Ynysygerwn (a) – 7pm

Saturday, July 31 – Bristol Rovers (h) – 12pm

Tuesday, August 3 – West Brom (a) – 7.30pm

Saturday, August 7 – Merthyr Town (a) – 1pm

• I am interested in seeing under 23s on 27th. Does anyone know where the game will be played and whether spectators are allowed?

• best to phone the academy or the Liberty up to find out if fans are allowed

• Swans under-18 playing Merthyr Saints tomorrow night in Merthyr .

• Kerry Morgan ex Swans involved with the club .

£3 to get in .

• Excellent 4 -1 win for the young Swans

2 goals from Rohan Davies , Josh Cotterill and Cameron Llewellyn .

Josh Cotterill goal a brilliant solo goal beating 6 players before slotting past the keeper.

SeaJack
  • Club Academy tells me no spectators to U18s or U23s on Saturday Each player is allowed two family members only

Disappointing

• I received a similar message to my further 'phone enquiry today.  Apparently Trefelin and Llandarcy can manage it, but not us.  I pointed out that it might be helpful if the club publicised these restrictions so folk can avoid pointless journeys. 

So, unless you can marry into a player’s family in the next 24 hours and lobby for one of the available slots, I suggest anyone who would’ve been interested in attending makes alternative plans!

SeaJackJackRaven
  • Ynysygerwn allowing spectators on Monday night at Llandarcy Adults £2

• Hmm someone is telling porkies.

Spectator Information|

For tomorrow's friendly away @SwansOfficial

5:30pm at Landore Academy we have been given a limited amount of supporter tickets...

SeaJack
  • RGDRGD
    edited July 24

In light of Gazzas update I contacted Landore again and they confirmed it is just 2 tkts per player for Swansea and Barry

• Swans u'23 are 2 nil up after 60 minutes

MalagaSeaJack
  • Swansea u23 2 Barry 0 full time.

• Fingers and screen not coordinated , no lol meant 🙄

• Spectator Information|

For tomorrow's friendly away @SwansOfficial

5:30pm at Landore Academy we have been given a limited amount of supporter tickets.

Please email Hannah.Chesterfield@barrytown.co.uk if you'd like to attend by 7pm tonight.....

Taken off Barry twitter. Strange that when Swans are stating tickets only 2 per family.

• Keep up at the back Colin. Was questioned yesterday before the game!

• senior moment Gazza, you will be my age one day.

Anyway, what do you know about Dylan Morgan who, according to our site supplied the pass for Whittaker's second goal.

Was he the trialist? A former Forest Green Rovers U18 player who was a previous scholar at Southampton. Any other team information from the game. Thanks

• Colin

If Dylan Morgan is the same fella featuring in FGR's academy listing:

The Official website of Forest Green Rovers Football Club (fgrfc.co.uk)

I don't believe he played last Tuesday at Trefelin. The centre forward trialist who played for the U23s that evening was mixed race, about 5' 9''.