Team v Newport County today.

1st Game; Benda, Rushesha, Lati, B cooper, Manning, Smith, Fulton, O cooper, Akanda, Joseph, Whittaker 1st game

2nd Game: Hamer, Naughton, Bennett, Butler, Bidwell, Grimes, Walsh, Byers, Lowe, Cullen, Garrick

Webmaster

Comments

• Obvious missing players

Cabango and Dhanda

• Official site mentioned Dan Williams

• Hi Colin

Have you seen much of Butler .

• From a tweet I have seen 4 nil win in the second game goals Lowe 2 , Cullen , Byers ,

• Hi Malc,

very little in video to be honest but reading between the lines he appears to be well thought of, and I would think the forthcoming season will be a big test for him. Hopefully the OS will deliver some match footage when the season commences.

• Thanks for info Gazza

Butler is from Wrexham and a schools international plus U17 U19 he's only 20

He isn't big for a CB but is a good footballer and tackles well Great to see him and Akande been given a run out with first team

• Sorry he's 18

• So Piroe hasnt joined the squad yet.

• Probably in isolation .

• Swansea City kicked off their pre-season campaign with a pair of victories over Newport County in games played behind closed doors at Spytty Park.

Steve Cooper’s squad was split over two hour-long fixtures, with the Swans emerging as 1-0 and 4-0 winners.

Morgan Whittaker scored the winner in the opening contest, turning the ball home from close range, while Adrian Akande and Kyle Joseph went close to adding to the visitors’ tally.

The second game saw George Byers, Liam Cullen and Jamal Lowe (2) find the back of the net, while there was another clean sheet for the Swans.

Jordon Garrick teed up Byers for the opener with a pull-back from the right side of the area, before Cullen lofted the ball over the keeper from Lowe’s cross.

Lowe then rounded off the scoring as Jake Bidwell and Dan Williams set the forward up to coolly fire home the third, before completing his brace from a Cullen pass.

SeaJack
  • If Mr Cooper persists with his tactical approach he might spend the whole season in isolation 😎

deekay
  • edited July 14

I'm just pleased we scored 5 goals in two 1 hour matches. If Garrick set up Byers, I wonder what the formation was? The way the team names are set out makes it look like a 4-3-3 in both matches.

Good that Whittaker got a goal as well, as he will want to set out his stall this season.

Also it sounds like Jamal had a good match with 2 goals and an assist. It will do his confidence no end of good.

Jackareme
  • Funny how it it looks like a bench team first game and first team for second game looking at the selections, that's if you take out the players we know won't be starting first game of season. going to be fun seeing team picks for other games, can't wait.

Jackareme
  • good to see Garrick operating as one of a front three.

According to Swindon fans, they said it didnt work for him through the middle.

But I have always thought he had the physical attributes to play there, like Michail Antonio does for West Ham.

this preseason is a make or break for the lad IMO.

SeaJack
  • At just turned 24 it is hard to disagree Mark - I would like to see him with the first team - and he has been used as an impact sub in the past. The boy has pace and can be very direct - difficult for defenders who are getting tired. I always felt hat he had something - but we only see it in flashes.

SeaJack
  • he needs a run, like any player.

You will not see the best if they only get 10 mins here, 10 there. And then never used.

how is a player to get confidence if they dont play?

JackaremeSeaJack
  • I hope all the players will be given opportunities this season and not just cameo sub appearances.

Knowing SC it will happen very early in the season then the side will become fixed and the same week after week. So early impressions will be necessary to get those opportunities.

Looking at the 2 teams, there are a number of options available.

Good to see Latie being used as a CB, but surprised no Yan in either team!

• Yan could have a niggle. But as he hasnt signed a contract extension - maybe he's talking to other clubs right now.

Has anyone seen him in any of the training pics or videos?

• If someone is willing to pay a substantial/decent fee Yan is one that we could cash in on - the AM role is the one I would be targeting for the loan market - MGW or similar.

• I saw him on the latest video,---different hair cut.

Jackareme
  • yes he was quite prominent in all the training videos.

• Yes he is there , Whittaker looks impressive , we could have a young hungry front line with plenty of pace .

• Its why I've asked the question as he has been very visible in most of the preseason galleries and videos so it felt unusual he didnt get into either team.

• I wouldn’t read to much in to it, SC knows what he can do and how he fits in, he needs to put all the new boys in first to see how they fit in. There are still other friendlies to play and other players to test out.

• Good 5-0 win over Newport today by the sound of it. Yan scores a goal.

• Any news on line ups Gazza4421

• Swansea City continued their pre-season campaign with a 5-0 victory over Newport County in a game played behind closed doors at Spytty Park.

The two sides played two 60-minute games in midweek but another fixture was arranged following the cancellation of the Swans’ friendly against Swindon Town.

In hot conditions, Steve Cooper’s side went close early on when Joel Piroe’s shot was well saved, but in the 10th minute the visitors broke the deadlock as Korey Smith played in Liam Cullen whose left-foot shot found the bottom corner.

Just before the half-hour mark the Swans doubled their lead as Piroe won possession and found Cullen inside the box and the striker coolly slotted home to make it 2-0.

Ben Margetson added a third soon after as he nodded home Liam Walsh’s free-kick, while Cullen almost grabbed his hat-trick on the stroke of half-time as he rattled the crossbar after good work from Piroe and Kyle Joseph.

After several substitutions at the interval, Yan Dhanda added a fourth with a fine curling effort before Joel Latibeaudiere rounded off the scoring late on.

The Swans are next in action on Tuesday (July 20) when they take on League One side Plymouth Argyle at Home Park (7pm).

MalcJackaremeSeaJack