Home Swansea City

NEW OWNERS

Seems to me that our American owners are well past their ‘best before date’ now and it would be in their and the Club’s interests for them to move on. Pretty sure neither Caplan or Levine will be in the stand for the forthcoming home friendly but if they are they’ll get a vocal ‘****** off out of our Club’ from the East Stand for sure.

jasper_Tbigoak

Comments

• How is it in their interests to move on @BlackSwan ? Certainly in ours BUT..

• We certainly need some but we aren't getting them any time soon

They hang on as they are making money

It's a business not a charity and they are not speculating to accumulate either

Just because we don't know exactly how they are making their money, doesn't mean they aren't

Businessmen not football fans

The model was past its sell by date when they arrived

Our model was OK before it was sold

SeaJackbigoak
  • Jackareme- they purchased a Premier League club but unless they make meaningful investments, which there has never been any indication of, they’ll have a League One club on their hands the way things are going and they one get much from a future sale.

• @BlackSwan I don't like to stoke the conspiracy theories - But I am sure @Phillip would wax lyrical about the money making opportunities while the clubs status slides.

I am not sure how much they care about what league we are in - and their revenues will not come from a future sale price - they are taking their wedge on a monthly basis.

jasper_T
  • For sure, the owners don't care about the football team. They won't care if we're in Champ, L1 or L2 by the time they finally bugger off. That's always been the case. They probably couldn't name you one single first team player.

They're no more interested in us than they are in any other minor investment in their vast portfolio. We are just a figure on a balance sheet to them. They will leave when they finally decide that we've become an irritant they're no longer willing to tolerate.

For me, success next season looks like merely surviving in this league whilst hopefully seeing a more enjoyable style of football. I'd snap your hand off right now if you could guarantee me both of those things.

JackaremeSeaJack
  • If the sale of Rodon and Celina plus a few season ticket sales is not enough to survive 21/22 season, then there are 3 scenarios.

1 They sell a few more and hope for the best and get promotion.

2 They get a new manager who can borrow class players, once again hope for the best and get promotion.

Both 1 & 2 are based on hope.

3 They invest a few million on players and a manager who wants to play attacking football, this is not hope based but logic and a risk based investment that has more reasonable chance of success than 1&2.

Survival alone is no good anymore for these owners, there are no parachutes and profit on young players being sold is now scraping the barrel ( Roberts, Cabango )are now our best assets, perhaps a few million for Grimes but not too many.

The odds are, they will sell for as much as they can, if anyone is interested.

Putting on clauses of extra money if promoted will not help sell it.

One thing is certain a minimum of 50% of what they paid Jenkins has been reimbursed through 31 others. Whether they have recouped 30 odd mullion or more during 5 years is immaterial. They will not use option 3 and spend their own money.

So if they cant sell, we better hope that we don't slide down the table and end up back in the early 2000's with buckets collecting to pay wages.

As I have said many times, Hedge Fund operators work on a 5 year plan, to make as much as possible with minimum outlay. Yes Swansea City FC is not a Hedge Fund but the owners operate all their investments ( or lack of) in this manner, with non disclosure part of their rules.

I am hopeful they will go very soon with as little damage as possible

SeaJackJackaremeMalagaAndrew_North_Hilljasper_T
  • Look what you've gone and done now @BlackSwan !😃😃

JackaremeSeaJack
  • They wont sell until they have sqeesed every penny they can out of their investment, then they wont just sell, they will "share dump" as soon has it starts to cost the fund they will be gone.

• Unless they are embezzling money then they can't take money out, wasn't it only last year that Jake Silverstien came in with £10m (or was it £5m) to be matched by the current owners?

Everyone calls for investment yet no one wants to get diluted, that's the stark reality.

I want to live within our means speculate a little but not pump a shit load at it (like Stoke), we do things right at Swansea, and long may it continue.

Cadleigh
  • One last thing, are they new owners? they've been here 5 years

• Jack , you say we do things right. Really?

Close on 3 quarters of a billion has gone through this clubs tills in the past few years, for a number of years we held our own in the Prem "The Swansea Way" then we sold the heart and soul to this lot.

Rest is History , Begs the question

WHAT DO WE GET RIGHT ? you intrigue me with such a comment.

• The current owners took over in 2016 when we were a solid, established mid-table PL club (albeit one that had started to lose its way a bit). But it was nothing that a good managerial appointment and one or two carefully chosen ins and outs couldn't have sorted. The ship could very quickly have been turned back in the right direction.

Instead, the owners left in charge for another 3 years a Chairman who was completely out of his depth; have never committed 1 penny of their own considerable wealth into the team's playing budgets; in the PL and immediately after relegation consistently sold players for less than market value whilst buying badly at rip off prices; increased, unnecessarily and with no explanation, the budget of non-playing staff; and have continually interfered in playing matters (appt of Bob Bradley, and signing players from MLS the manager didn't want just as a favour to their US mates).

Net result - 5 years later we're heading into a 4th consecutive Championship season without a manager, with huge gaps in the squad, with the first game kicking off in 15 days' time.

I don't know about you, but that report card doesn't suggest people who get a lot right. It does however suggest a bunch of incompetents who don't really know what they're doing, and don't often learn from mistakes.

Yes, there are worse owners out there. But my goodness, that doesn't make this lot good by default. Far from it.

JackaremePeteSeaJackJoHbigoak
  • No significant debts

Academy that produces talented young players

Commitment to passing football that has never waivered (whatever individual managers may have done rather than said)

Sponsored by a uni not by a betting firm

Disability-friendly club

Reputation for not playing cynically

I could go on...

Malc
  • Andrew_North_Hill wrote

"The current owners took over in 2016 when we were a solid, established mid-table PL club (albeit one that had started to lose its way a bit). But it was nothing that a good managerial appointment and one or two carefully chosen ins and outs couldn't have sorted. The ship could very quickly have been turned back in the right direction."

Actually we had had two near-relegation experiences and financially we were one bad transaction away from going bust. Selling was the only option.

"...the owners ...have never committed 1 penny of their own considerable wealth into the team's playing budgets"

You mean they haven't issued a rights issue which would have shafted the Trust or loaned money to the club which would have pushed us into the kind of debt that has destroyed other clubs. Correct.

"in the PL and immediately after relegation consistently sold players for less than market value..."

Or they made the besst of a bad hand and rebalanced the wages budget. Same thing in the end.

"have continually interfered in playing matters (appt of Bob Bradley...)"

Jenkins says there was no interference. I find that hard to believe but for the most part I think they learned their lesson and have actually been pretty good at letting the chairmen get on with it

"Net result - 5 years later we're heading into a 4th consecutive Championship season without a manager, with huge gaps in the squad, with the first game kicking off in 15 days' time."

If I didn't know better I'd say you are Gary's twin brother, continuously predicting the doom that never quite appears :)

I have no truck with the present owners (apart from Mindy Karling, I like her work a lot), but exaggerating their sins doesn't help your case.

Andrew_North_Hill
  • Hi Cadleigh

You won't hear me arguing that the club needed to be sold. Clearly it did. But then you also know that wasn't my point 🙂

Do you not agree that, on the pitch at least, there wasn't that much wrong that a few key personnel changes wouldn't have sorted out? For instance, a return for Rodgers and Allen at that time?

The rest of your reply - I guess you could look at things the way you have painted it, sure.

But this:

"Net result - 5 years later we're heading into a 4th consecutive Championship season without a manager, with huge gaps in the squad, with the first game kicking off in 15 days' time."

If I didn't know better I'd say you are Gary's twin brother, continuously predicting the doom that never quite appears :)

I found this a bit strange, I'm not predicting any doom there, just stating exactly where we are right now, are we not? Unless something significant has happened in the last few hours I've been offline - happy to be corrected if that's the case.

JackaremeSeaJackMark_Jack_London
  • I think we are furiously agreeing with each other really. As long as you say something nice about Mindy!

• The club needed to be sold because of the model, the was a SHA that was signed by most and if not bought into by all that said no one could own more than 25% (the reason for this is that they didn't want one person getting over 50.1% and calling the shots, or two people with 25.1% also calling the shots), Martin Morgan and Brian Katzen wanted to put more money into the club but the SHA wouldn't allow, so it was the model that was one of the main reasons the club was sold with a touch of greed.

• Fair enough ,but the list of negatives is has long and more damaging than the positives

• @Cadleigh ,

in a world overloaded with the brown stuff and egos so easily massaged with communication, however true or false it may be, wouldn't you think that our owners, especially being from the US of A, would be aware of it's importance, while their invisibilty over the last five years has no doubt fuelled the ongoing concept that money continues to be taken out of the club season after season.

Whether that being the case, of which I question, I would have thought that a financial football guru such as Kevin Maguire would have found out where the skeletons(cash) were hidden and brought it to the football world's attention.

But the bottom line for so many fans who won't hold a candle to our owners even when results on the field saw a season ending in a Play Off final at Wembley is that such a season only brought to reality that the invisibleness from our owners can only be compared to the lack of financial investment in January that could well have seen the club in a far stronger place that would have secured automatic promotion. At that time let's remind ourselves we were well in the frame.

It's 25 years since the Bob Hoskins tv advert 'It's good to talk' became synonymous with British Telecom but what can be seen in the modern world is an ongoing increase of lack of confidence from our fans in our owners to try to understand the direction where the club is heading purely through an unwillingness on our owners part to enter into the avenue of communication.

JackRavenPetebigoak
  • Interesting @Colin_swansea that while they shun regular or even infrequent communication - they are not averse to getting involved when it flickers on their radar..Notably Bradley and the 2 MLS misfits.

I wish they would either get involved and work alongside (learn from ) real football people or stay completely out and let the football people do their thing while they do the bean counting.

With those American centric decisions alone they made our efforts at establishment in the Premier league more difficult and then strangled our best chance of a return when the squad needed something quite different to what they were willing to bankroll.

SeaJackColin_swansea
  • Don’t forget we brought in a premier league player on big wages who delivered for the first 5 games and I for one thought he was a great signing who turned out to be a complete dud!

• The owners do not give a monkeys about the club, never did, although when the premier league came within touching distance via the playoffs last season they crawled out from under their rock for a fleeting moment.

it’s like Groundhog Day, we are once again left with;

A Threadbare squad yet again

no financial backing or ambition yet again

The Manager has realised this & left yet again

Top scorer has left yet again

just waiting for Cabango, Roberts or Grimes to be sold for peanuts now

bigoak
  • He did play in Wolves last game of the season and scored the winner, unfortunately we didn't see enough of him, funny thing is, he was coached as a youth by former Swans Des Little. I doubt if they would lend him again though

• I think Brownie is referring to Hourihane lol

• So do you favour investment vis a share rights offer which will shaft the Trust, or debt which has to be paid back?

• as I’ve said before, I am no cheerleader for the current owners but it makes me laugh that people are quiet about Hourihane and other dud loans when it seems like Cooper was responsible, but jump on Morris (who didn’t even get four full games to prove what he could do) or Arriola as they probably came via the owners’ connections.

deekay
  • Does it necessarily have to be paid back then?

A few years ago Vincent Tan wrote off tens of millions owed to him by Cardiff. Overnight.

Before the usual Philadelphia accountants pile in, no, I'm not saying I want our owners to run our club like Vincent Tan and Cardiff City. I'm just pointing out it's not the binary decision you are making it out to be.

• My preference would be new owners who give a damn & have a plan!

• Who is lining up to buy us ?

Give me an example?

• Statler and Waldorf would be a welcome break from these numpties who promised ‘the next level’ 5 years ago....crap

SeaJack