Home General Football

Bersant Celina ill

Bersant Celina has pericarditis and is out for 3 months at least. Could well be career ending. Get well soon. Bersant....

MikeTasmaniaJackareme

Comments

• Sad to hear that it could be career ending although the main thing is that he has as full a recovery as he can hope for.

MikeTasmaniaChris_SharmanGingergit
  • Very sad to hear, but with good treatment he should recover.

A player I personally always liked, created some magic moments in his brief spell with us.

All the Best and hope you are back to full fitness soon.

JackaremeSeaJackMikeTasmania
  • My wife is a nurse and just said their has been a few cases of this linked to men around thirty years old linked to the Astra Zeneca jab.

SeaJackJackDragonMalaga
  • edited August 4

@Gingergit

I believe it is linked to the Pfizer BioNTech jab, in men in the younger age groups.#

First identified by the Israeli vaccination programme

• Celina contracted covid in June but returned to the club in July, however as a result of the virus subsequently developed Pericarditis,

Will need 3 months off , receiving treatment at home , will return to the club in a month .

Wishing him all the best .

JackaremeGingergitMikeTasmania
  • There's no reports of him developing this because of any vaccine. All say as a result of catching Covid.

According to the European Medical Journal, "Pericardial inflammation is a recognised feature of coronavirus disease."

Reading one of the articles on it, it seems most people make a full recovery after rest and medication.

• I had Pericarditus about 6 years ago after picking up a viral infection when on a trip to Ireland. It felt at the time like a heart attack (like someone was sat on my chest). I was taken to hospital and given an angiogram which revealed that my heart was in perfect working order. The consultant discovered it was pericarditus (after all those checks) just from the sound of my heartbeat using a stethoscope ! After a couple of days in hospital & a couple of weeks recovery I was back to normal. Therefore I'd be very surprised if this would affect Selina's career.

• Here is the problem with people's attitudes to COVID. Yes in all probability Bersant will make a full recovery - but check this out from the medical journals.

There are a hard core of people that avoid the vaccine that has a low risk and high efficacy to "take their chances" with the virus - believing that they will shrug it off quickly and remain healthy.

For the majority - this is true - BUT I believe those that refuse the vaccine have no idea of the fire they are playing with by welcoming COVID 19 into their body (particularly the delta variant). For literally millions of people the shrug it off narrative just isn't true - and it can be fatal/life altering

For millions of people around the world, the health impact of catching coronavirus extends well beyond the initial infection period.

A recent study in England suggests that more than two million adults in England - around 3.5% of the population - may have had long COVID. The Imperial College London-led REACT-2 study canvassed over half a million people in the country, and found one in 20 adults reporting persistent COVID-19 symptoms for 12 weeks or more.

The European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, meanwhile, says a quarter of people who have had the virus experience symptoms that continue for at least a month - but one in 10 are still unwell after 12 weeks.

As more data emerges about long COVID, policy-makers and health systems around the world are being warned to brace themselves for the long-term implications of lasting symptoms.

“Our findings do paint a concerning picture of the longer-term health consequences of COVID-19, which need to be accounted for in policy and planning,” said Professor Paul Elliott, director of the REACT programme at Imperial’s School of Public Health

• After smoking-related illnesses, Long Covid is going to be the single biggest drain on primary healthcare and health research funding in our lifetime.

They're only just starting to get an understanding of how broad the effect is, and it's scary.

@Jackareme you are correct - the perception that if you get it, you'll just get it, recover and move on, is very dangerous indeed.

To use a tradesman's term it's not a "job and finish" - in many cases the after effects are more debilitating than the original illness.

I wish more people would take it seriously, and stop the stupid p1ss1ng contests we keep reading time and again in the papers - "I wish I'd had the vaccine" whilst on life support, etc.

Be blasé at your peril

moorlandsJackareme
  • edited August 10

Sadly it won't because there is no effective treatment for what is the equivalent of a post-viral fatigue syndrome, called a syndrome as it is likely they are a number of related but different conditions.

To give you an example virtually all forms of post viral fatigue are treated in this country atm as mental health conditions. The lead consultant is a mad mental health consultant based in Bristol who is responsible for the national guidance, despite being heavily criticised by patients, their carers and other doctors.

If we are lucky the Health System in this country and around the world will do more than pay it the lip service they currently do. The first step will be changing the current guidance, and will be a real indicator that this government is taking it seriously.

Andrew_North_Hill
  • Great news , Celina given a clean bill of health, will start training in a few weeks , all clear to continue with his football career ,

Best wishes for the future .

moorlandsJackaremeMikeTasmaniaSeaJackMark_Jack_London
  • if there is one good thing to come out of Covid is that there is a huge amount of money and time going into research into long term fatigue, which Covid has caused in a lot of long covid sufferers. This is a huge boost to those with ME, who have been crying out for the same help. hopefully they'll get this now, too.

Also, nobody knows the long term effects of catching covid yet. especially if you get it bad. Heart appears to be one organ that may be compromised.

So makes it more important people get vaccinated, and that includes the players. I know JR and I have had an argument about the vax recently - but my take was people shouldnt be castigated if they havent been jabbed, when we dont know why they haven't taken up the opportunity to. I agree with him, if there's no medical reason not to, they should. the risks of not being protected far outweigh any possible side effects of the vaccine.

JackRaven
  • We also don’t know the long term effects of the jab yet either. Both Covid and the vaccine have been introduced to us medically speaking at roughly the same time. Both are still in their infancy and I can’t be sure either way which way to turn when there is a question mark hanging over both the long term effects of Covid and likewise the long term effects of the vaccine.

PompeyJack
  • The scary part for me is the long covid where people have long covid are so effected where they struggle to have a shower and basic things we take for granted .

There will be some I'll effects of the jab but in my opinion thousands will suffer from long covid .

• We already know the effects of the jab and its mostly just individual immune reaction, with a small impact of those already susceptible to blood clots and a limited amount of heart inflamation in younger age groups.

With treatment most recover without effect.

The effects of Covid is death, serious hospitalisation which is likely to result in ongoing serious organ issues, long covid and if you are fortunate recovery. Long covid atm is a very mild form of ME/CFS, but expect those who have recovered from the virus to start showing more serious long term effects as its a post viral effect.

Remember what Herd Immunity actually means. When achieved it doesnt mean everyone is safe, it just means most of the Herd will survive. Covid will be around for sometime and eventually those not vacinated will get the virus and run the lottery of potential outcomes.

Get vaccinated now and prime your immune system to deal with the virus.

PompeyJackJackareme
  • I have to respectfully disagree that we don’t know the outcome of the vaccines effects on the body after a mere 8 months in from the first person whom it was administered to which was 8th December 2020.

And why is it that there are those that can be so dismissive and blasé about the vaccine deaths that have been reported and yet have a different attitude to the Covid 19 deaths?

Each and every death in this pandemic should be noted with the same solemnity and respect and that includes those that have sadly lost their lives as a result of having had the vaccine.

They should not be treated as simply lesser deaths, simply because the media focusses our attention away from these and homes in instead on the Covid 19 fatalities.

• @SeaJack

How many people have died from the vaccine compared to SARS-COV-19?

This is a time where we need to put aside our individual bias one way or another and get vaccinated before a new more deadly variant emerges.

The sad truth is anyone who doesnt get vaccinated, is at serious risk of not surviving this pandemic and more than enough people have already died.

the focus needs to move to vacinating the rest of the world, but I wouldnt want that to be at the expense of anyone in the UK being unvacinated.

And remember book your Flu vaccine now as well, because there is potential risk from that as well.

Stay safe and keep everyone else safe, including your family and community.

• I understand the numbers are alarming when it comes to the C-19 death rate.

All I’m saying is let’s not let that diminish the deaths of those poor unfortunates who lost their lives going to the authorities for protection from the dangers of Covid-19 in the first place and ended up dying as well.

The numbers are less, that much is clear, but the enormity of their deaths as an individual is no less significant.

• @SeaJack

there is no intention of diminidhing any death, there have been far too many, and sadly with more to come.

However we need to get serious about the proportions. From the data ther has been 4 deaths from taking the vaccine in the uk, and they have been with underlying conditions, I believe.

How many people in the uk have died from Covid. Its about time the Club got serious before one of our players gets seriousl;y ill or worse.

• Fair enough JR. I respect your opinion and appreciate your desire for everyone to be safe.

However, small number that it is, it does highlight for me that whichever path you take, whether it’s to take your chances with Covid-19 or trust in the vaccination process, there is a tangible real terms risk that makes me one of those who is still reluctant to have the vaccine despite being fearful of the potential for contracting the virus.

The desire not to fall ill on either front leaves the likes of myself, and a great many others I would presume, between a rock and a hard place.

It’s not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but it’s a choice that I’m prepared to live with.

PompeyJack
  • Ipswich hoping to sign Celina before the transfer window closes .

• I really liked Celina when he was with us. Him and Grimes were different players under Potter than Cooper probably due to different expectations and requirements by each of them. I was sad to see him go as he was a very talented lad in my opinion. I’m glad he appears to have recovered from Covid.

SeaJack
  • @SeaJack - totally understand your reservations - however, the below helps explain why any side effects from a vaccination are almost 100% short term - the long term effects of a vaccine are nil because of the nature of vaccines.

Below is an explanation from a credible medical web resource

Why COVID-19 Vaccines Do Not Have Long-Term Effects

The primary reason why the COVID-19 vaccines do not present long-term health problems lies on its nature. Unlike medicinal drugs that are taken in long-term doses, vaccines are designed to be one- or two-shot doses, without counting the booster shots that are given when needed. According to Paul Goepfert, MD, director of the Alabama Vaccine Research Clinic at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, vaccines are typically developed to be one-and-done since their main purpose is to deliver a payload that’s intended to start a series of immune reactions in the body. 

“Vaccines are just designed to deliver a payload and then are quickly eliminated by the body. This is particularly true of the mRNA vaccines. mRNA degrades incredibly rapidly. You wouldn’t expect any of these vaccines to have any long-term side effects. And in fact, this has never occurred with any vaccine,” Goepfert said in a press release

On the contrary, medicines tend to have long-term side effects because most of them are designed to be taken every day over a specific period of time. Because of this, some health problems may reveal themselves over time, especially when the drug components have started to build up and even reach beyond normal levels in the body through months or years of use of a certain medication

Hope this helps?

SeaJack
  • Celina signs for Ipswich ,

SeaJack