Home Swansea City

Match Discussion: Swansea City U23s v Charlton Athletic U23s - Professional Development League South

edited November 23 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss the Swansea City Under 23s v Charlton Athletic Under 23s Professional Development League South game at Landore on Monday, 22 November 2021 at 1pm.

Comments

• Offical match report here:

Report | Swansea City U23s 1 Charlton Athletic U23s 3 | Swansea

Not a very encouraging performance, particularly given the apparent strength of our starting eleven.  We opened promisingly enough - Dhanda and Morgan Whittaker each creating chances for themselves in the first 15 minutes. Then 2 avoidable goals in quick succession – the first on 19 minutes through playing in the wrong places.  Possession was lost on the edge of our penalty area, with the subsequent cross being turned into his own net by Harry Jones.  A minute later, Charlton’s Aaron Henry spotted our ‘keeper Hansen way off his line and chipped him with a free kick from well inside his own half.  Audacious enough, but not the sort of goal to be conceding at any level. The same player tried the same trick in the 2nd half. 

We continued to try to play out rather naively from the back, but Charlton pressed hard and forced our defensive three and goalie to make hurried and wayward passes.  Our players didn’t really seem to know how to deal with that, we frequently got penned in and created very little in the remainder of the half.

We looked slightly better with substitutions and Morgan Whittaker got a neat left footed finish on 55 minutes.  Within minutes, though, we’d conceded possession yet again and got punished with an emphatic finish by Charlton’s Dylan Gavin. 

Our shape is based on the first team model, but our wide players Rushesha and McFayden were frequently isolated and there were long periods where they didn’t see a lot of the ball.  We looked stretched and our middle wasn't very cohesive. Williams and Dhanda had a lot more possession as space opened up in the 2nd half.  Only Brandon Cooper looked comfortable in the defensive trio. 

Obafemi played up front, got little service and didn’t look match fit, coming off with Morgan Whittaker going into the central role.  Tarrelle Whittaker had too little time to find his shooting feet. We huffed and puffed, created some half chances through McFayden and Dhanda on the left, but in truth didn’t deserve to come back.  

RGDMalcColin_swanseaWebmastermoorlandsSeaJackRhydian
  • Swans 1 Charlton 3 ,

Strong side including Whittaker , Obafemi , Dhanda lost .

Obafemi played 60 mins

Whittaker played 78 mins scored the goal ,

Brandon Cooper capt , Dan Williams played.

SeaJack
  • Like Niall I saw today's game.His summary is good and I basically agree

Just a few observations

Team still not comfortable with 3421

Cooper and Whittaker showed up well

Obafemi didn't get into game - disappointing

Williams and Abdullai don't play well together in MF

Created very little and conceded two silly goals

niallo11Colin_swanseamoorlands
  • All is not right with Obafemi - it seems clear.

That is a big shame because we have invested in him and we need cover for Piroe and the potential to play with 2 up top.

I am not sure what the deal is - but there is something that RM does not like - Obafemi's body language is terrible, his lack of effort was alluded to post match Saturday - and now he is reported to be not looking sharp playing with the kids.

Come on Obafemi - try a bit for Swansea!

• Obafemi was not RM’s signing and he’s not impressed with him. So I suspect the player wants out.

• WpsWps
    edited November 22

Joel Piroe was not a RM signing and was left out of the first game but he buckled down and has gone on to be very good.

Watched Obefemi in the reserves today and although he had no service he didn’t seem to be prepared to get involved in other ways to make a contribution

However it was a very poor performance all round. We were second best all over the park in comparison to Charlton

Jackaremeniallo11
  • First time I'd watched the Under 23s this season (live) and @niallo11's report is spot on.

I felt we looked a little lightweight in midfield and a bit disjointed, but don't know if this wasn't helped by the inclusion of Obafemi, Whittaker and Dhanda, rather than the usual Under 23 players.

Although I spent the entire game looking through a lens... so that may account for my input above!

Here's a gallery of images if anyone wishes to take a look...

Jackaremeniallo11SeaJackColin_swansea
  • An excellent set of photos, well done!

Webmaster
  • Does anyone know if RM was at the game?

• RM wasn't there but Mark Allen was there

Jackareme
  • Reading between the lines, something has been said to Obafemi and then to be left completely out of the squad for a game recently. Makes it a different comparison to Piroe being left out in the first game. What happens inside the club, should stay inside the club and not for the manager to come out publicly and pass comments like RM did. I’m a believer in not airing your dirty washing in public

Rhydian
  • What was said in public Haydn,I may have missed that.