Home Swansea City

Match Discussion: Swansea City U23s v Wolves U23s - Premier League Cup 2021/22

edited November 26 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss the Swansea City Under 23s v Wolverhampton Wanderers Under 23s Premier League Cup Group F game at Landore on Thursday, 24 November 2021 at 2pm.

Comments

• Live streaming on the Wolves Web site.

Jackareme
  • Only saw the second half. System not working, especially when the only attacking threat can't stay onside.

• Looking at the Swans team not surprised they struggled.

• Wolves were playing their 3rd or 4th choice u23s keeper by the sound of the commentary. Everyone rotates for cup fixtures.

• Looks as if Searle had a good game apart from conceding a penalty .

• Official Match report here:

Report | Swansea City U23s 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers U23s 2 | Swansea

As related earlier in this thread, the match was also available on Wolves’s livestream, so only summary observations follow:

·       We performed better today than on Monday, but simply don’t create enough chances and at the moment can’t seem to buy a goal.

·       Tarrelle Whittaker and Dylan Morgan are both capable players. We didn’t get the best of out of them for most of the game.  Tarrelle is no Joel Piroe and was notably much more effective when both he and Morgan were moved into positions supporting substitute centre forward Jaden Forrester.  The damage had already been done by then, though.

·       As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, Lincoln McFayden was our most creative player, but his frequent inability to look across the line and stay onside is a bit perplexing.

·       Not so many mistakes today in critical areas of the pitch.  The defence looked more assured overall, but those who watched the livestream will have seen how both goals were conceded.  The 2nd goal in particular was a killer, coming at a time when we were dominating possession. 

·       Although they have to be managed sensibly, all 3 of our 16/17 year olds today performed creditably.

Colin_swanseaRGDSeaJackRhydian
  • Need to build a system around getting the best out of Congreve, Lloyd and Cotterill over the next couple of years. Could each go a long way in the game if managed correctly, and fortunately enough they look like they'd be a well-balanced midfield three when played together. We went out and recruited wingers and a back four to play around them last summer, so hopefully the plan hasn't changed too much with the introduction of Russell-ball.

• Just to add my 2p's worth as I went along and photographed the game again today.

We were much better than on Monday and played more like a team without the first team players included (which you'd expect I guess).

Was impressed by Congreve, who I hadn't seen play 'live' before, but as has been said in previous posts we don't create many chances - despite dominating possession.

We do look like a side that is struggling with confidence though, which given results is to be expected.

Overall considering we were playing a Cat 1 Academy I didn't think there was much between the sides, except for the fact that they looked that little bit sharper and more clinical.

Here's the gallery of images I took if anyone wishes to have a browse.

JackRavenColin_swanseaniallo11
  • Does Ben Lloyd play regularly? If so how has he been playing?

• He was one of the subs yesterday - understandable given we already featured a 16 year old & 17 year old in midfield. Came on for the last 12 minutes, got immediately involved & made a positive impression.

Rhydian