Homeโ€บ The Lounge

Season's Greetings

edited January 3 in The Lounge

I'd just like to take the opportunity to say thank you to everyone for your support and usage of the website over the last 12 months - and the many years before that!

Your contribution to the forum in particular is always appreciated, and whilst everyone may not always (rarely ๐Ÿ˜‚) agree, without everyone's input there wouldn't be a forum worth facilitating.

So on that note, I'd like to wish you and your families, a very Happy Christmas and a safe, healthy New Year.

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda ๐ŸŽ„

Duncan ๐ŸŽ…

CadleighJackaremedeekayColin_swanseaMalcgaretharogersChris_SharmanRhydianSeaJackPAJ

Comments

• A big thank you to you for providing a platform for discussion , have a safe happy Christmas.

To all other posters have the best Christmas you can , keep safe .

Have a happy Healthy New Year .

RhydianSeaJackWebmasterStephenRPAJ
  • Same from me huge thank you

SeaJackWebmasterPAJ
  • Gracias webmaster Feliz Navidad ๐Ÿ™‚

SeaJackWebmasterPAJ
  • Thanks very much Duncan, best wishes for Xmas and the New Year.

SeaJackWebmasterPAJ
  • Amen to the thanks from me too.

SeaJackWebmasterPAJ
  • Merry Christmas to one an all

SeaJackWebmasterPAJ
  • Merry Christmas to all the Guestbookers. Here’s to a Happier, Healthier and Wealthier New Year minus you know who.

WebmasterPAJ
  • Happy Christmas all.

SeaJackWebmasterPAJ
  • To all guest bookers and especially our webmasters/moderators - a VERY happy christmas and new year. Thanks so much for all the entertainment and Swans related content and chat - a real lifeline for us expats!

SeaJackWebmasterPAJ
  • edited December 2021

Compliments of the Season to everyone of us.Here's hoping for a sense of proportion at times on the Forum

Despite this pesky virus,and the lack of a game for us to enjoy this weekend and perhaps even longer,lets hope for a great 2022 ,on and off the pitch,and in society as well as in sport.

WebmasterStephenRSeaJack
  • Many thanks to the Webmaster for keeping this forum going, and to all the contributors whatever their opinions. As Jackareme has already stated, expats are VERY grateful for, and appreciative of, this Swans' lifeline.

Season's best in every sense of the word from a rather humid, cloudy, oppressive Brisbane Christmas Day morning to all readers of this forum.๐Ÿ˜€

SeaJackdeekayStephenRWebmaster
  • Happy Christmas all. Thanks to the moderators for keeping this forum going.

SeaJackWebmaster
  • Merry christmas to all - very Welsh weather here in Windsor Ontario - plus 6 degrees grey and drizzle. Hwyl levels are high though!!

Webmaster
  • Lots of hiraeth @StephenR - just spent the last 5 hours on facetime with friends and family - most of whom I have not seen for 2-3 years - it is tough man!

How are the Aussie hiraeth levels mate?

• Back in Swansea for 6 months now. Was talking with the family in Adelaide this morning, hence the Weather report. Been P**sing down all day, but hey, there is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing, especially when you have to walk along Llangennith beach. It's a tough gig but someone has to do it.

JackaremeSeaJackmoorlandsRhydianWebmaster
  • Happy new year to all Jacks wherever you may be!!

I was cruising the BBC site today and came across the following article - it resonated to me, as we see a lot of this type of behaviour as we debate various aspects of the club we all love. For 2022 - lets all aspire to be better!

Whenever we engage in an intellectual discussion, our goal ought to be to converge on the truth. But humans are primates - and often the goal is to become the alpha debater. 

It can be done non-verbally - the supercilious posture, the hard stare, the deep voice, the peremptory tone, the constant interruptions and other dominance displays.

Dominance can also be pursued in the content of an argument, using a host of dirty tricks designed to make an opponent look weak or foolish. These can include:

• Arguing "ad hominem" - attacking the person rather than the argument itself
    • Knocking down a "straw man" - distorting the other person's argument and then attacking the distortion 
    • Guilt by association - rather than exposing flaws in an argument, calling attention to disreputable people that are sympathetic to it

Intellectual combat, to be sure, can be a titillating spectator sport. Readers of literary magazines savour the withering ripostes between intellectual gladiators. A popular genre of YouTube video features the hero who "destroys" or "owns" or "takes down" a hapless questioner (note the metaphors).

But if the point of debate is to clarify our understanding - rather than bow to an alpha - we ought to find ways to control these bad habits.

We can all promote reason by changing the mores of intellectual discussion, so people treat their beliefs as hypotheses to be tested rather than slogans to be defended

Colin_swanseadeekaySeaJackWebmasterPete
  • Wholeheartedly agree Jackareme. We could all do well to follow these guidelines.

Now, about this Russell Martin chap…