Home Swansea City

Match Discussion: Swans v Southampton - FA Cup 3rd Round 2021/22

edited January 9 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Southampton Emirates FA Cup 3rd Round game on Saturday, 8 January 2022 at 5:30pm.

Referee Simon Hooper will be assisted by Andrew Fox and Richard Wild, with Tom Reeves the 4th Official for the game.

Due to Welsh Government COVID restrictions, the game will be played behind closed doors. The game is being broadcast live by BBC Wales with coverage starting at 5:20pm. You can also watch the game on the BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport website.

Have a read of the Swansea City v Southampton Head to Head Statistics since the first meeting in South Wales in 1919.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Russell Martin's pre or post match comments and team selection.

Comments

• Will be so good to watch the Swans again and comment on the football again .

Would have been interesting if we had been drawn away , how many of the Jack Army would have travelled.

For this game 9 Subs can be named with 5 used .

Southampton are a solid Premiership team with lots of good players .

RhydianSeaJack
  • Martin has said we will field the best side possible, so hopefully it'll be a good watch. Glad to hear we will try to compete.

However I would like to see a couple fringe players get a go, specifically Dan Williams and Brandon Cooper. Obafemi may be looking to prove something too 👀

SeaJack
  • He didn't say this, but I just got the impression from RM's words that it wouldn't be what we would consider as a full strength selection for this match. My interpretation of his words on the official website was that, because of the covid issues, supporters were being prepared for a weakened team and that Huddersfield was more of a priority. For me, that's fair enough and I'd go along with whatever he sees fit, but I don't think it will be the "best possible side".

• Some good news for the Swans ,

Southampton have 6 senior players missing from training .

SeaJack
  • Interesting news coming out of Southampton.

A Serbian-born cable tycoon is looking to buy the Saints in £100 million deal ,

This will give him a controlling stake in the club.

Rasmus Ankerson the former Brentford co-director of football and a London-based investor are also involved in the takeover.

SeaJack
  • For those outside Wales, you can watch the game live on:

Virginmedia - channel 864

Sky:

Channel 971 (HD/SD)

Channel 980 (SD)

Freesat:

Channel 971 (HD)

Channel 979 (SD)

Presented by FiveLive's Sports reporter Delyth Lloyd.

JackaremeWebmasterChris_Sharmantoo_far_east
  • Jamie Paterson has good memories of the F A Cup 8 years ago scored a hatrick in Nottingham Forest's 5 nil demolition of West Ham.

SeaJack
  • Joseph unavailable for the Southampton game after playing for Cheltenham in the last round .

SeaJack
  • No VAR used in the Swans game .

Only 9 games out of 32 ties using VAR used in this round , the system only used in premier league grounds .

• As long as they don’t start or bring on Sterling then we should be ok when it comes to a lack of VAR.

Webmaster
  • Personally just looking for a good performance in front of the cameras.

Cadleigh
  • edited January 7

Here’s hoping for a great start to 2022. Southampton are still missing six of their first team and likely to play a mix of youth and experience, so there’s everything to play for.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the loss of Laird encourages some fresh thinking on our formation.

• Malc

Bit slow aren’t you

Why haven’t you mention that that Swansea has triggered an extension to Patterson’s contract and he will now stay till to 2023

• I’m hoping for a good clean fight. Nothing below the belt and may the best team win. I’ll check in at the end after the result and test the temperature of the forum.

• Check under the Paterson thread , already done , your on the wrong topic,

This is the F A Cup

Webmaster
  • Hope we don't mess about with overplaying at the back , watching Swindon and now Crystal Palace both guilty of conceding goals by poor decisions by their keepers

Cadleigh
  • Hamer

Naughton Bennett Cabango Williams Bidwell

Walsh Smith Patterson

Piroe Obafemi

Or Brandon in place of Williams, Dan in place of Walsh

• Here is Russell's pre-match press conference (from yesterday):

• Downes is captaining us tonight, congratulations to him.

Piroe, Obafemi AND Cullen all playing - this should be exciting to watch!

• According to Google Sport, Korey Smith is playing on the right side of three centre-backs & Ryan Bennett is playing wing back!! WTF

• That'll be complete guesswork on their part. They don't get any more info than we do.

• I was thinking the same Bennett at wing back !!

Maybe RM has seen something in training 😁

• Settled down to watch. Mark Draketw@ has ruined it.

• Seems BBCWales are fed up and switched it off

• The commentary was crap but they didn't have to switch the picture off

• On bbc i player

• Sky channel 801

• YES!! Obafemi gets his marker sent off! We are in with a chance now!