Home Swansea City

Paterson Confirms Contract Extension

Russell Martin has confirmed Jamie Paterson will remain a Swansea City player until at least the summer of 2023 after the club triggered a one-year contract extension.

The midfielder joined the Swans as a free agent in the summer and has made a tremendous impact at the Swansea.com Stadium.

The 30-year-old has got eight goals and four assists in 22 appearances this season, striking up a potent attacking understanding with top scorer Joel Piroe.

Paterson joined the Swans on a one-year deal, and that included the option of a 12-month extension.

And head coach Martin – speaking ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup tie against Southampton – announced that the former Bristol City man will spend at least another season in SA1.

“With Jamie Paterson we have triggered the extension a little bit earlier, so that is done,” he said.

“That’s good news and it is an automatic 12-month extension.”

Comments

• Good news. I really hope Martin can get him performing consistently. He reminds me of Celina too much at the moment - definite talent there but frustratingly inconsistent.

• Wow Cads - you set the bar VERY high - 8 goals and 4 assists in 22 games does not leave much room for inconsistency.

Bersant bless him scored 7 goals in his entire Swans career of 73 games.

SeaJack
  • That is very good news , he's already shown more consistency than Celina with his goals and assists.

I did like Celina lots of skills and tricks ,

• Paterson is one of my favourite players this season, this is great news.

He has obviously lost a bit of form recently but that was enivitable given the stunning numbers he was hitting before. And to be fair to him everyone has dropped off recently. The form will return.

Long may the partnership of Paterson and Piroe continue, if we do switch to a formation with just one attacking midfielder, I want it to be Paterson.

SeaJack
  • He's had some truly anonymous performances mixed in with some outstanding ones. I would rather have a consistently good player than one who flits between excellent and poor.

Remember him against Forest? Me neither.

• Seems very strange , the boss says he signed a contract extension 7 days ago ,

See above .