Home Swansea City

Swans sign Goalkeeper Andy Fisher

Swansea City has completed the signing of goalkeeper Andy Fisher for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance.

The 23-year-old goalkeeper joins the Swans from MK Dons, where he previously worked under head coach Russell Martin.

He has put pen to paper on a four-and-a-half year contract through to June 2026, and will wear the number 33 shirt.

The Blackburn academy product signed a first professional deal at Ewood Park in 2016, and went on to make four first-team appearances in the EFL Trophy and the League Cup.

Fisher had loan spells with FC United of Manchester and Northampton Town in 2019.

But it was a loan move to MK Dons that really kick-started his senior career. While Fisher did not feature over the course of that temporary stint, he caught the eye of Martin and was signed on a permanent deal in the summer of 2020.

He made 39 appearances in total the following season, and has backed that up with 23 more this term. He is fifth on the club’s all-time clean sheet list.

Comments

• He is going to be interesting

When he's chipped while standing 30 yards out for a backpass, what he is like at running backwards could be crucial

Or maybe not!

• Seven clean sheets out of 30 appearances so far this season. Let in 31 goals.

Last season 11 clean sheets from 40 appearances. Let in 52 goals.

Benda let in 10 from 7 and kept three clean sheets for us this season.

Hamer let in 27 from 19 and kept seven clean sheets.

Of course, Benda and Hamer's stats are skewed by the maulings we got from those teams who could see our weaknesses from the other side of the Severn Bridge.

• Can't judge a keeper without judging the defence in front of him

We have a poorer defence than last season, individually and because of poorer tactics

So I don't expect a change of keeper to have much effect

Hamer's only committed one howler after all

• @northernswan2

I disagree, I think there will be a considerable effect.

While the job of a keeper is to keep the ball out the net, I think this signing is actually gonna improve things further up the pitch. It should improve the quality of passing around the backline and the general flow of our passing game, helping things click from the first pass.

Yes Hamer hasn't had a bunch of howlers but he takes dangerously long to pass and doesn't always make the right decision - that won't be a problem with Fisher.

Hamer's a decent shot stopper but he's not made for this possession game, Fisher sounds like he lives for it.

JackaremeSeaJackChris_Sharman
  • Well I really hope you're right

Certainly quicker but accurate release of the ball will help

• Looks Hamer keeps the no one shirt until he makes another boob which based on times gone by will be just around the corner

Rhydian
  • Not being funny but there were at least 3 boobs last Saturday. His shot stopping is decent but he looks like he is trying to play the ball out with his feet wearing diving boots.

• Funny, I didn’t see any flashers on the pitch. It must be my eyesight.

Chris_SharmanJackareme