Home Swansea City

Match Discussion: Rotherham United v Swans - Championship 2022/23

edited July 30 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss all things related to the Rotherham United v Swans Championship game on Saturday, 30 July 2022 at 3pm.

Referee Matthew Donohue will be assisted by Robert Hyde and Andrew Aylott, with Will Finnie the 4th Official for the game.

Have a browse of the Rotherham United v Swansea City Head to Head Statistics since their first meeting in 1952.

If you are going to the game at the AESSEAL New York Stadium have a read of our Rotherham United Away Fans Guide.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Russell Martin's pre or post match comments and team selection.

Comments

• Already feel geared up for this one.

Let’s hope that the defensive frailties don’t rear their ugly head too often this season, starting with the game against Rotherham.

• they will definitely happen at times.

It's a very young team, and a very inexperienced backline at this level.

Keeper has half a season. Wood barely kicked a ball at any level. Darling never played at Champs level. Neither has Sorinola, but he did get 14 games in the Belgian first division. That's still only 14. All subs appearances, totally just over 90 mins of action!

Then, if he doesnt play right wing-back, we potentially have an inexperienced player in Lati, playing out of position on the right.

So i expect some hairy moments, even when Ben and Joey come back into the starting line-up.

SeaJackJackareme
  • 'You'll never win anything with kids'

Now where have I heard that before ? 😉

• yeah, but those kids were surrounded by experience.

Irwin, Pallister, Bruce, Cantona, Parker, McClair, May, Keane, Cole, Schmeichel.

• Could get a result on Saturday if we attack more instead of the sideways backwards up to the half way line...and if we keep Fisher out of the game...poor quality even Derek Bellotti was class compared to him

• key thing is to quieten Rotherham down early doors. Fans especially.

They are at home, and the promoted side. So that usually has a psychological affect, both on the players, but especially the crowd.

So dominate the ball. Dont make any stupid mistakes early on especially, as that will lift an already buoyant crowd; and build into the game.

azzuriswanSeaJack
  • Odds

win the league between 20 and 25/1

top goalscorer Piroe between 20 and 25/1

• Rotherham only conceded 33 goals in 46 games last season and they have made a bunch of signings. Tough start for us

SeaJack
  • a bunch of signings doesnt necessarily make a gelled team.

• I see the club have decided to ditch “” Take the knee “” before games. At last . Piroe second fav at 12/1 at some bookies with Obafemi third fav at 14/1. Top goal scorers

• Generally, the bookies don't get things wrong so if we have the 2&3 favs for the top scorer (and if that happens) then we should be at least in and around the playoffs !!

• We look undercooked and one paced

Not optimistic

• @northernswan2 cheer up you might be pleasantly surprised!! I think you will be 😎

• I'm just pleased to get back to my Saturday afternoon radio listen to the Swans,accompanied by a bottle of something hoppy

.Plenty of time to fret about the form of the team.Good luck to them all.👍️

SeaJack
  • As powerful a gesture as taking the knee is, I suppose the club has decided, in consultation with the players, that it’s run it’s course.

My hope, now, is that the message it sent continues in other equally powerful forms, to make it clear to those people who were opposed to it, that there is no place for racism in sport and the wider world.

double_decker
  • ultimately, it is the players' decision, and I'd back whatever they did. They are the ones at the sharp end. they are the ones who are taking the stand (or knee) on the pitch. They need to do what they feel comfortable doing, and how much of a difference it makes.

To me, it's time for a shake up, and try something new to bring a something new to the campaign. Because the issue has not gone away.

SeaJackMikeTasmaniamoorlandsdouble_decker
  • My team for today:

Fisher

Cabango Naughton Darling

Soriola Fulton Grimes Manning

Piroe Pato

Obafemi

As we can use 5 subs, we have the flexibility of lots of changes - especially if we are winning comfortably.

Injuries aside, would like to see Cam (Pato) and Ntcham (Fulton) come on. Be good to see ON in a deeper role. And Oli Cooper for Obafemi, with Joel going up top.

If Ben cant do the 90, then Wood can come on.

JackaremeSeaJackColin_swanseaPete
  • What @Mark_Jack_London said above 👍

• Darling is in for a rollicking at half time for shooting outside of the box and scoring.. tut how dare he

SeaJack
  • Superb strike, but still looking shaky defending set pieces

SeaJack
  • I’m liking Lati at the moment, good rotation player.

But he’s been called for foul throws before, and he’s not taking them correctly today. Opposition bench are starting to complain about it.

It’s not hard to get right - he just needs to work on this so it never happens again.

• On a lighter note - our front three is bloody amazing.

If we keep these guys a top 10 finish is inevitable - down to the rest of the squad to push us further.

SeaJack
  • Loving the passion from the gaffer to get a yellow. He’s right, that was never a foul from Wood.

• My stream was a bit ropey, but what I did see, this was missed opportunity for 3 points. We left some good chances out there.

Wood header first half, should have scored. How the hell Obafemi missed that 6 yard open-goaler...

SeaJackWebmaster
  • Fisher kept us in it too with a few cracking saves

WebmasterJackareme
  • Here is RM's post match press conference:

• edited July 30

Here is a link to opposition manager Paul Warne's post match press conference:

• My take from the Radio Wales commentary

They scored a soft goal from a corner after we had dominated.

We scored a surprising long range goal after they had come back into it.

Second half had most of the play and we missed an open goal, their keeper made a couple of saves ,but at the same time Fisher made two or three important saves too,

Overall we could/should have got the three points.

Sadly my bottle of Newcastle Brown failed to soften the blow of not sealing a win.

Next game beckons.

SeaJack