Home Swansea City

Match Discussion: Briton Ferry Llansawel v Swans U21 - Friendly 2022/23

edited July 27 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss all things related to the Briton Ferry Llansawel  v Swans U21 Pre-Season Friendly at Old Road on Wednesday, 27 July 2022 at 7:30pm.

It'll be a return 'home' for Corey Hurford who joined the Swans from Briton Ferry last season.


  • Swansea City Under-21s continued their pre-season preparations with victory in an entertaining tussle with Cymru South side Briton Ferry Llansawel at Old Road.

    Goals from Kai Ludvigsen, Josh Thomas and Kyrell Wilson were enough to earn a win for the young Swans, with Ferry responding with two second-half goals.

    Corey Hurford took the captain’s armband for the fixture, leading the Swans out against his former club having joined from Ferry in January.

    Thomas had the chance to put Swansea ahead after 15 minutes, a great ball from Ben Lloyd putting Lincoln Mcfayden through, Mcfayden was tackled by the outrushing goalkeeper and Thomas couldn’t find the back of the net from distance on the rebound.

    But it would be Ludvigsen who would break the deadlock, Joel Cotterill finding the defender who buried his shot into the bottom left corner.

    Thomas made it two just after the break, Cotterill finding the striker in the box who powered a low shot past the goalkeeper.

    Ferry began to create a couple of chances of their own, and Azeem Abdulai was forced into a good block in the six-yard box to preserve the Swans’ two-goal lead.

    Briton Ferry would pull one back after 65 minutes, with Joe Thomas alleged to have pushed a Ferry forward in the box, resulting in a penalty that was tucked into the bottom right corner.

    Sam Leverett came close to restoring the Swans two-goal advantage moments later, but a last-ditch goal line clearance kept him out.

    However, substitute Wilson would find the Swans third goal. Tarrelle Whittaker’s low effort was picked up by the forward in the box, and he calmly took a touch before firing past the goalkeeper.

    Ferry pulled one back just before full-time, a cross dinked cross to the back post catching the Swans out as the home forward headed home.

    Swansea City: Remy Mitchell, Corey Hurford (captain), Filip Lissah, Ben Blythe, Kai Ludvigsen, Lincoln Mcfayden, Azeem Abdulai, Joel Cotterill, Tarrelle Whittaker, Ben Lloyd, Josh Thomas.

    Substitutes: Ben Hughes, Joe Thomas, Sam Leverett, Harry Jones, Kyrell Wilson.

  • A demanding and often feisty workout for the U21s against a determined Briton Ferry Llansawel of Cymru South - and in front of a very decent and appreciative crowd at Old Road.

    We lined up in a familiar style: Remi Mitchell; Kai Ludvigsen, Fillip Lissah and Ben Blythe as a back 3; Azeem Abdulai pulling the strings in front; Corey Hurford and Lincoln McFayden as advanced wing backs; Tarrelle Whittaker, Josh Cotterill and Ben Lloyd pushing up in support of Josh Thomas as the single striker.

    Play followed a familiar pattern: we dominated the ball, Abdulai, Cotterill, Lloyd and McFayden in particular had lots of touches, but we struggled to get Josh Thomas direct service. Ludvigsen’s shot through a crowd of players beat the goalkeeper to put us 1 up on 17 minutes. Abdulai tried his luck a couple of times from distance and Ferry were limited to a couple of breakaways.

    Josh Thomas finished well on 50 minutes when a Cotterill shot fell kindly for him. At this stage, it looked as though we would go onto win comfortably with space starting to open up. The game got quite niggly, with the Ferry bench increasingly animated at any decision not going their way. Abdulai and Lloyd escaped with bookings when on another day we might have lost one or both of them. We duly managed to concede a soft penalty that gave Ferry heart. A raft of substitutions seemed to improve the home side and there were a couple of near misses, more often than not caused by our careless passing from the back. 

    Ferry keeper McFenton made a remarkable save to keep out Sam Leverett’s shot, then fellow substitute Kyrell Wilson restored the 2 goal lead on 78 minutes, collecting and converting a loose ball in the area from Tarrelle Whittaker’s blocked drive. Ferry managed a further consolation by getting through again a minute from time.  

    3-2 felt closer than it should have been, although all credit to Ferry for running things close. Abdulai and Lloyd stood out, while Whittaker also had a busy game, initially on the right side of attack then switching across to take over from McFayden after the hour mark.

    Joe Thomas came on for Hurford, Leverett for McFayden, Wilson for Josh Thomas and Harry Jones for Lissah. We essentially kept the same shape throughout. It worked, with the knowledge that we lived dangerously from time and time and didn’t fully capitalise on all that possession.

    Other than the tremendous range of imaginative expletives delivered by the Ferry bench, my lasting impression of the outing is that Ferry must breed their insects tough in this part of town – with swarms of flying creatures in abundance on a cool, sunny evening, I even managed to get bitten on the eyelid. 

Sign In or Register to comment.