Home Swansea City

Under 23s win at Haverfordwest

The Swans Under 23s beat Haverfordwest County 5-2 in a pre-season friendly at Bridge Meadow earlier this afternoon.

Comments

• No official report so far as I know, other than snippets on Haverfordwest’s Twitter account, so here’s a quick summary.

The Swans team was: Archie Matthews; Filip Lissah, Harry Jones, Ben Blythe (sub Kai Ludvigsen 46m); Abdul Abdulai (sub Tarrelle Whittaker 62m); Joe Thomas (sub trialist 83m), Dan Williams, Joel Cotterill (sub Sam Leverett 62m), Ben Lloyd (sub Corey Hurford 62m), Nathanael Ogbeta; Kyle Joseph.

It’s been so long since I’ve seen Dan Williams play, I wasn’t absolutely sure it was him, but reasonably confident. We had at least one player in the squad I didn’t recognise and I assume was a trialist, pictured. He came on for the last 7 minutes replacing Joe Thomas, but barely had a chance to get into the game.

Bridge Meadow is a tidy ground, there were about 200 spectators present, the pitch was looking in great condition. The Bluebirds (yes, really) have scored lots of goals in preseason and are looking a much stronger proposition in the Cymru Premier this season under Tony Pennock and Gary Richards.

We looked very impressive from the start, carving out chances for Joel Cotterill, who hit the post in the 6th minute. The pleasing aspect was the amount of close range opportunities we created.

I have no idea why Ogbeta has been ostracised, but he created 2 of the 1st 3 goals and scored the 4th goal himself from a move he started. He’s a perfectly capable left wing back. 

Kyle Joseph worked hard up front, had a couple of chances, and was unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet. We went into half-time 4-1 up, the single concession coming from a free header at a corner on 32 minutes.

Haverfordwest kept going and made a real go of it in the 2nd half, getting one back when putting our last man under pressure from a big punt up field. Jazz Richards made his first preseason appearance for the home side from the bench – he’s lost his pace, but didn’t waste a single pass, he’s cruising at this level.

Corey Hurford did well to slam home a 5th high into the net from an acute angle 10 minutes from time and from a clever Joseph flick.

A really entertaining match. 

The goalscoring was: Joe Thomas (9m), Cotterill (22m), Joe Thomas (25m), Dylan Rees – Haverfordwest (32m), Ogbeta (33m), Jack Wilson – Haverfordwest (64m), Hurford (80m).

RGDColin_swanseaSeaJackWebmastermoorlands
  • Thanks Niall a very interesting report, especially concerning Ogbeta

• Thanks again Niallo.

Can Ogbeta be rehabilitated back into the first team I wonder? He’s certainly done his chances the world of good by the looks of things.

• What's happened with Wasiri Williams, he was outstanding in the early U21 games but hasn't featured at all lately. Could be an injury but nothing reported by club

SeaJack
  • He definitely wasn’t at Bridge Meadow yesterday. As you say, could be an injury.