Home Swansea City

Match Discussion: Swans v Blackburn Rovers - Championship 2022/23

edited August 6 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Blackburn Rovers Championship game on Saturday, 6 August 2022 at 3pm.

Referee Stephen Martin will be assisted by Craig Taylor and Lee Venamore, with Ollie Yates the 4th Official for the game.

Have a browse of the Swansea City v Blackburn Rovers Head to Head Statistics since the first meeting at the Vetch Field in 1915.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Russell Martin's pre or post match comments and team selection.

Comments

• Its going to be a nice sunny day and on that positive note I am going for a home win by 2 clear goals.

• As long as we don't give Brereton Diaz any good chances that is

Cos he's as good a finisher as Piroe

• Russell Martin and Joel Latibeaudiere look ahead to the Blackburn game:

• Going for 1-1

Not quite at the races yet

• Here's a link to the Swans new style digital match programme for the Blackburn game:

• 2-1 swans obafemi to get off the mark with a worldy😃

• If you are travelling to the match today from the east beware of Fabian Way---much congestion due to the Para and Ironman Triathlons which are staring from the Swim in the Prince of Wales Dock in SA1.Lots of road restrictions

• Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Nathan Wood, Kyle Naughton, Harry Darling; Joel Latibeaudiere, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Ryan Manning; Joel Piroe, Olivier Ntcham, Michael Obafemi.

Substitutes: Steven Benda, Ben Cabango, Jamie Paterson, Matty Sorinola, Ollie Cooper, Cameron Congreve, Liam Cullen.

SeaJack
  • Two changes from last week

• I’m looking forward to getting the first win of the season under our belts. 2 goals and a clean sheet will do it for me.

• What is the point of Jay Fulton, how long has been here, only good for a cheap booking

enaitch
  • One of our best players under Cooper mate, he is a very decent defensive midfielder at this level.

The pointless yellows frustrate me too though, same with Manning.

Fulton missed most of last season due to being ignored - he has a good opportunity to put in a shift when Allen or Grimes can’t start this season.

enaitch
  • Well done defensive Fulton for giving the ball away cheaply …

Rhydian
  • Commentators were praising him for the tackle attempt.

Any other issues with our play this half Enaitch or is Fulton the only reason we’re losing?

enaitch
  • Oh dear - that is ponderous and turgid first half - we are playing at the tempo that Blackburn want - and we have no outlet on the right hand side.

IMO we need to get Latibeaudiere either off or moved into the centre and Sorinola on the right. Not sure why we didn't start that way?

Ultimately though this is not about personnel it is all about tempo. We need 1 and 2 touches and movement off the ball - Naughton sitting on the ball for 10-12 touches is just allowing blackburn to reorganize and take a breath.

SeaJack
  • Poor showing all round first half to be honest. Don’t think we’ve had one attempt at goal .

• Agree too slow and ponderous, Fulton having a mare, Congreve anyone?

• There goes the clean sheet. A very frustrating/annoying first half. Is it too much to ask for 2 Swans goals in the second half?

• He went for Pato as the replacement, sensible for me. Perhaps Congreve will get a chance later on.

• Not great getting notifications on my phone without watching it but showing no attempts on or off target… and now 2-0 down

• Just waiting to hear how that second goal is Fulton’s fault

• At home playing five defenders and two defensive midfielders . At this early stage of the season nothings changed from the last . Oh for some pace up front . If this carries on Martin may be gone sooner than expected. As Silv is watching he won’t be happy

• The commentators are spot on. It’s flat. No creativity. No solution to this defensive set up.

My god we are lucky they haven’t turned on the press or this would be a cricket score.

• No win out of the last 8 matches now, this manager has not got a clue.

• 3-0… dear god

• Martin not got a clue? He knows how to be stubborn - he knows how to pick players in the wrong positions - he knows how to play without any flair - he knows our defence was crap last season so he has ????????? this season.

Very early days but, I had little faith in him last year. Will he learn - not much hope if he can't.

• Can’t wait for his press conference as Ian Walsh said hope he doesn’t say we had all the possession.. yes but no end product first shot on target came in second half injury time

• Fair play that was dross , still , forest got promoted after a dreadful start to the season 😃

• For me it’s not just the fact that we got thrashed at home. At no point looked like winning. Poor offensively and defensively.

It’s that it was just plain boring to watch. Fans leaving at 80 minutes and booing at full time. Football is meant to be enjoyable, but this game was just hard to watch.

Wasn’t this meant to be our promotion season?