Football betting site Betway

End of an Era

edited May 2018 in Swansea City

It feels like the end of an era. Leon, the last remaining player from the Vetch Field years and the most important player in that beautiful style of football that came to be known as The Swansea Way, retires. Angel, the ultimate Swansea signing by Martinez, moves on. A player that cost next to nothing and gave everything. A full back that loved to run with the ball and never shirked a tackle. Whose love for the club and the city was palpable. 

Yesterday, there was anger at the terrible decisions that contributed to yesterday’s game being almost irrelevant. But for me, it was mostly sadness. And that sadness was a reminder of what my team had achieved in the past decade. My team from the second city of the third biggest country in Britain had, for a moment, become the talk of football. They had been applauded off the pitch by opposing fans at places like Anfield and The Emirates. They had broken the record for a league cup final win, yes against smaller opposition, but beating Liverpool and Chelsea on the way.

The style remained, even as managers moved on. For a moment, the Merseyside derby was contested between managers who made their names gaining promotions with the Swans – playing football that was easy on the eye, and all without big money signings.

Only now that it is over do I begin to fully  appreciate just what was achieved. Ten years ago I was so overcome with joy at seeing the Swans get to the Championship that I was nearly thrown out of the home section at Gillingham. Now the Championship feels like the worst place imaginable. But long-time Swans fans know that it is not. We know the real lows. And we know how fleeting the highs can be.

In October I saw the Swans beat Huddersfield 2-0 at home. The future looked relatively bright. But just before the match I had been at the Tosh exhibition put on by Peter Jones to promote his forthcoming documentary. 40 years on and we’re celebrating a run that culminated in two seasons in the top-flight. And rightly so. My greatest concern now is that we avoid the aftermath of that run of unprecedented success. But, I’m thankful that I got to live through the most successful period in Swansea City’s history. I hope there’s more to come. But even if there isn’t, I got to see something that even 10 years ago, seemed unimaginable.

deekayMarkG

Comments

• edited May 2018
    @Darren Nice post, we all feel that sadness, but for me it's the End of one Era and start of a new Era. 

We need not be in in the Championship and if we start making the right decisions for the first time in 3-4 years we can get back into the PL. If we don't we could end up doing another 80s. Having lived through that, I will do everything I can to stop it happening again.

Appoint the right manager, then a new DoF and things can start to turnaround. Leadership is what we need now, and sadly lacking from the Club at the moment.

I will give credit to Pearlman for actually being at the game, as opposed to the Others who couldn't be bothered.

To paraphrase one of Swansea's greats,

Do not go gentle into that good night, We should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    JackattackDarren
  • SJ the greatest jack .  I’ve laid flowers on his grave many a time.
  • Imagine it in a Richard Burton accent. Sad thing yesterday two long serving legends playing their last game for the club....where was Huw and the yanks.. Those two helped the old board get their millions by helping the Swans get to the PL
  • Leadership is needed, on and off the park.

It's been missing for a long, long time, especially when Curt, Leon, and Angel have been missing off and on the park.

• NH jealousy gets you nowhere. The millions made by some individuals is dwarfed by the benefit to the city of Swansea. For me they deserve their bounty. They sold what they built.  my disdain is for the people on the board that missed the boat by not taking care of their assets as if it was their own. Say no more.
  • NH jealousy gets you nowhere. The millions made by some individuals is dwarfed by the benefit to the city of Swansea. For me they deserve their bounty. They sold what they built.  my disdain is for the people on the board that missed the boat by not taking care of their assets as if it was their own. Say no more.
    "For me they deserve their bounty."

Not an entirely unreasonable comment. Some truth in that. They gambled in the early Noughties, ploughing in a lot of their own cash. Hard to begrudge them some sort of return.

I think the trouble with you is, you won't or can't accept that (a) the way they sold up left a foul aftertaste and (b) you constantly defend their ongoing involvement in the club, Jenkins especially. 

I have no idea why you continue to do that, but can only speculate you are emotionally involved with said board members. Anyone thinking rationally could not possibly endorse the manner in which they sold up, and your attempts to obfuscate by blaming the Trust for their crimes continue to make you look very silly.

Why do you keep doing it?
    deekay
  • What is NH jealousy? Is someone jealous of National Health? I presumed aimed at the Americans who leave people to die of cancer in trailer parks because they don't have any money!
  • The Trust is a group of amateurs and volunteers trying to swim in the sea in a cut throat business of agents spoilt footballers sharp suited venture capitalists and locals wanting to see a return after building a fine institution. Holding a share in a small football team is as risky an investment that anyone could make.   They had a man on the board paid for by the club. You would need to be pretty slow not to envisage that if the Trust did no go with the flow they would be easily outmanoeved and their objections brushed aside. A good offer was made to correct a percieved injustice in 2017 but  not promptly accepted with kind gratitude when he club was in the PL. A Trust with no money in the bank are just organisers of buckets just like in 2003. It might take another 15 years to get another opportunity to cash in. Any bog standard financial advisor would have kittens at the risk profile of the Trust. I am a lone voice at saying this but the Trust management have been asleep at the wheel. 
  • Are you saying Ponty the reason Huw never turned up yesterday was he was jealous because the fans love Leon and Angel more than him . And they got us to the premier by playing football something else he was crap at ?
  • The Trust is a group of amateurs and volunteers trying to swim in the sea in a cut throat business of agents spoilt footballers sharp suited venture capitalists and locals wanting to see a return after building a fine institution. Holding a share in a small football team is as risky an investment that anyone could make.   They had a man on the board paid for by the club. You would need to be pretty slow not to envisage that if the Trust did no go with the flow they would be easily outmanoeved and their objections brushed aside. A good offer was made to correct a percieved injustice in 2017 but  not promptly accepted with kind gratitude when he club was in the PL. A Trust with no money in the bank are just organisers of buckets just like in 2003. It might take another 15 years to get another opportunity to cash in. Any bog standard financial advisor would have kittens at the risk profile of the Trust. I am a lone voice at saying this but the Trust management have been asleep at the wheel. 
    You are Huw Jenkins, and I claim my five pounds.
    enaitch
  • Ponty_Jack said:i 
    NH jealousy gets you nowhere. The millions made by some individuals is dwarfed by the benefit to the city of Swansea. For me they deserve their bounty. They sold what they built.  my disdain is for the people on the board that missed the boat by not taking care of their assets as if it was their own. Say no more.
    Crikey Ponty I've been away from this site since the end of 2017 and you are *still* backing the old board and the takeover? Take the temperature of the room why don't you?! 

I guess you are sticking to your guns at least.
    enaitch
  • The Trusts after 7 seasons in the PL the richest league in the world  have  little money and seen the value of the shareholding drop from £21m to around £5-8m. The relationship with their  partners highly strained. Members wishes to sell were not carried out in good time  with a buyer ready to deal. Their stand alone performance is a car crash. Their judgement in business is poor and their recommendations to the major shareholder to sack the chairman probably already in the bin.  
  • Or maybe if they sack Huw they'll sell all their shares to the Americans ( my opinion) which seems more likely.
  • enaitch I’ve heard pinnochio isn’t going anywhere . Fkn nitemare.
  • Same here ...but he may be moved away from footballing matters. Hopefully
  • I only said sack him as Ponty keeps harping on about the trust day in day out sad really that he hasn't got a life outside of his bedroom. If he was abducted by aliens no one would notice him missing.....lolol
  • Not even his missus. No offence Ponty.