Football betting site Betway

The Liberty Stadium Pitch Invader

Just put up an article discussing the sentence issued to the 19 year old who invaded the pitch during the Swans v Bristol City game a few weeks back.

Just curious as to what other people think?

Comments

• Would have thought a fine and suspended ban would have been sufficient. Players do a lot worse on and off the pitch and get less punishment.
  • Everyone knows the rules. You go on the pitch, you get arrested. You get a ban. 

The length may seem a bit harsh considering all he did was run on the pitch.

But, in the heightened times of security - that's for fans as well as supporters - I cant say I have much sympathy for some p1ssed up lad running on the pitch so he can get on the telly! 

He's lucky. In the US he'd have probably been shot!

Maybe it will curb his alcohol intake and doing something even more stupid, to get on the box / attention!
    DubDragon
  • Another young fellow ran onto the field v Palace.  Unfortunately unless an example is made it will be seen as a bit of lark and dozens will be adversely affecting a good elite sporting contest. 
  • Mark, completely agree that rules is rules. Just think a suspended ban would have been enough to deter this youngster from doing anything stupid again. 

I only started supporting the swans in the 97/98 season so don't know anything of the real dark days of football violence but nowadays I guess it is a different security threat. But then anyone truly malicious wouldn't give two shits about a banning order.

Just out of interest does anyone know what happens if the lad has a wedding/funeral/birth to get to in a ''city that Wales or Swansea are playing" what happens if he attends the occasion?
  • anyone who thinks being on tv is a worthwhile at any risk - and I am speaking as someone who works in tv- needs to be deterred. this fame for 5 mins onmbsession is beyond unhealthy.

so if him being banned wakes a few up...GOOD!

• He knew the risks etc, however, NickF's comment regarding what players do on the pitch, IMO, needs addressing. Watching Hazard taunt the Cardiff fans after his goal (It had to be Cardiff!), it seemed that this could have caused, to a certain extent, the objects that were thrown at him etc.

I'm not condoning their behaviour at all, but don't players have a responsibility to avoid the away fans and celebreate with their own, however much they have been taunted?
  • Had enough of the criminal being made out to be the victim in society to be honest. Zero tolerance is fine by me
  • Does this only apply to away matches or is it an offence for him to step into the City and County of Swansea when the Swans are playing at home (ie roughly every other Saturday)? Seems a tad excessive for someone living in BF
  • He can count himself slightly hard done by imo. He'd had a couple of pints, he made a tit of himself, we've all done it. He wasn't violent. 

But then like a lot of football related legislation from 30 years ago, it is archaic and overly punitive. It all needs a long overdue look, but hey, we're only football fans, the government don't give a shit about us. There are still ignoramuses in prominent positions in the cabinet who believe Hillsborough was the fans fault. With those kinds of attitudes you've got no chance of bringing legislation into the 21st century.
  • rubbish. everyone knows you cannot go on the pitch. everyone knows the punishment.its the same for all sport now, even cricket.

And you can't use the defence that he didn't hit anyone, because he didn't get the opportunity to. that gives a defence to any moron who gets on the pitch, and there needs to be a deterrent.

it's a big lesson of don't get smashed off your chops and loose control. better a ban and learn the dangers of alcohol than do something more stupid resulting in physical harm to himself or others.

• I can remember many years ago when we played a   league game up at Scarborough on a Saturday. There couldn't have been more than say 100 to 150 Swans fans behind the goals. Tony Bird I think it was scored for us in the first couple of minutes. One fan ran on to the pitch from our stand and was immediately man handled away by stewards...he wasn't looking for their fans or players. it was the excitement of the moment...He was ejected....he had come up all the way from Portsmouth and had to return to Scarborough for his court case too. The moral of the story is not too go on the pitch at any time.

• Cadleigh said:
    Does this only apply to away matches or is it an offence for him to step into the City and County of Swansea when the Swans are playing at home (ie roughly every other Saturday)? Seems a tad excessive for someone living in BF
    He lives in Burkina Faso? :smiley:
  • If it was a woman that ran out onto the pitch with her boobies out would the comments above be the same?

( . ) ( .)

It was the same thing, a moment of craziness that effected nobody much in reality.

The punishment is ridiculous. A night in the cells or a caution would be suffice.

• rubbish. everyone knows you cannot go on the pitch. everyone knows the punishment.its the same for all sport now, even cricket.

And you can't use the defence that he didn't hit anyone, because he didn't get the opportunity to. that gives a defence to any moron who gets on the pitch, and there needs to be a deterrent.

it's a big lesson of don't get smashed off your chops and loose control. better a ban and learn the dangers of alcohol than do something more stupid resulting in physical harm to himself or others.

Mark, I don't disagree he deserved consequences but in my view what he got seems excessive. 

Regardless, the real idiots are the nobs in the 70s and 80s who ruined it for everyone afterwards. Society has changed in the last 30 years, but thanks to them punitive football fan legislation has not. 
  •  :smirk:.....oO( certainly wouldn't have happened if he was stoned and not drunk... another case for legalization ) 
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Football has changed but unfortunately those in charge of the game are still living in the "old" days where terraces were full of drunk noisy lads looking for it....supporters are more intelligent now. Yes we can still not take alcohol in to the stands which is a good thing but I really believe that standing areas should be allowed so that like minded fans can sing jump stand whatever in a specific area. Strangely enough I always sit in my seat in the West Stand but rarely sit at away games apart from half time.
  • Different threats now Gary. Different violence. and these sorts of bans have helped stem the "idiots" of yesteryear.
  • Hey Bif the only pair of tits I’ve seen at the Liberty are Jenkins and Pearlman  :# :#
    deekay
  • Personally I thought the guy got what he deserved and the punishment was obviously severe to deter other idiots from doing the same.

BUT the bit about him being prohibited from "Going to any town or city where Swansea City or Wales are playing;" - effectively meaning he'd have to hand his passport in (assuming he has one) - is a bit excessive IMO.
  • DDWT said:
    Personally I thought the guy got what he deserved and the punishment was obviously severe to deter other idiots from doing the same.

BUT the bit about him being prohibited from "Going to any town or city where Swansea City or Wales are playing;" - effectively meaning he'd have to hand his passport in (assuming he has one) - is a bit excessive IMO.
    But how else do you stop him from going to games? Having a photo of him at every ground in the country to ensure he doesnt turn up? That doesnt work.

Him having to go to his local Nick, with photo ID at kick off time to ensure he cant travel after his "check-in", is the only logical way of ensuring he adheres that I can think of.

• It's surely a bit like a suspended sentence. If he behaved and broke the limits no one would know.However if he was caught up in something he would have a felony already over him. Guilty by the very state of being there.