Football betting site Betway

Guardian reports he's gone

Comments

• edited May 2019
    There is no way back for GP now, he has taken the Kings Shilling, and that it over. Would you ever trust him again, I wouldnt.
  • edited May 2019
    'Guutted ' sums up my reaction.Takes me back to the way I felt when Martinez left, but not quite the same feeling of the club being betrayed.Also I was similarly disappointed for the club when Rodgers left but I soon rationalised this by accepting that it was Liverpool who took him.
    With Potter I admired the attitude and the football and yesterday's plea from the Trust that he should be kept here summed up my feelings entirely.
    Now we find that despite some sort of improved offer to stay, he is looking to go any way.I trust the Club has tried hard to keep him ,but then again who knows.
    After years in the frozen North and only 10 months in the little old backwater of Swansea he is packing his tent and taking his support team off to more prosperous pastures,whilst leaving his young team behind.Human nature wins again I suppose,but that doesn't make me  personally feel any better.
    Hopefully we can find a great coaching team soon, via the contacts of Mr Birch and keep going forward.In the meantime I confess that the fortunes of BHA will be very low on my list of priorities.
    barryKeith
  • moorlands said:
    'Guutted ' sums up my reaction.Takes me back to the way I felt when Martinez left, but not quite the same feeling of the club being betrayed.Also I was similarly disappointed for the club when Rodgers left but I soon rationalised this by accepting that it was Liverpool who took him.
    With Potter I admired the attitude and the football and yesterday's plea from the Trust that he should be kept here summed up my feelings entirely.
    Now we find that despite some sort of improved offer to stay, he is looking to go any way.I trust the Club has tried hard to keep him ,but then again who knows.
    After years in the frozen North and only 10 months in the little old backwater of Swansea he is packing his tent and taking his support team off to more prosperous pastures,whilst leaving his young team behind.Human nature wins again I suppose,but that doesn't make me  personally feel any better.
    Hopefully we can find a great coaching team soon, via the contacts of Mr Birch and keep going forward.In the meantime I confess that the fortunes of BHA will be very low on my list of priorities.
    Martinez pretty much said he would stay with the Swans come what may, and then walked out on us at a bad time, taking key backroom staff with him. That hurt.

Rodgers was a different matter. Worshipped at Watford, he abandoned them for Reading, who fired them. Given a second chance by the Swans, he abandoned us for Liverpool, who fired him. Given a third chance by Celtic, he has now abandoned them for Leicester, where he will be fired in due course. It doesn’t make it any less shocking when a serial adulterer is unfaithful yet again, but you do have to wonder what their spouse is thinking...

Potter was very careful not to pledge undying loyalty to the Swans, but somehow gave that impression. He’s now off at the first hint of an opportunity for more money. Somehow it feels worse than Rodgers but maybe not as bad as Martinez.
  • @Jack_14_Army

I totally agree - he's a man of integrity and dignity, not once did he complain publicly about his lot, despite having plenty of reason to do so. He's gone because the club have made zero effort to retain his services. 

People can talk all they want and find reasons to justify or provide mitigation for the actions of our owners but the fact is they are bad news and have been since the day they walked through the door. 

Our club is a husk, a soulless husk. Rotten to the core, and it breaks my heart. 
    ‘Breaks your heart!’ No doubt you will get used to it when you follow the club for the length of time many posters on this forum have done. You just move on. 

No doubt Birch has been aware that GP could well leave so let’s hope he won’t let the grass grow under his feet in search of a replacement. 
    Let’s just hope that whoever it is will arrive in plenty of time unlike when Potter was appointed
    Thanks for the patronising response Colin, nonetheless I'll clarify what I mean as you've not understood correctly.

It's not Potter going that breaks my heart (even though I am extremely disappointed), it is the way the club is being run from top to toe. 

I'll give you an example if you like.

McBurnie and Rodon are at a local youth team awards presentation day today, representing the club.

They found out the news the same time as all of us, on Twitter. They are embarrassed.  

That is our club right now, summed up. Wrong, wrong, wrong - wherever you look. No class, no decorum, no dignity.
    Perhaps you can blame that on social media but there again it doesn’t take much for you to hammer nails into the club. 
    If I am hammering the nails in Col, it's only because the club are holding them firmly in place for me, whilst supplying me with the hammer. 

You may think I derive pleasure in it, believe me I don't. But they get what they deserve, I'm sorry. 
    Keith
  • @Jack_14_Army

I totally agree - he's a man of integrity and dignity, not once did he complain publicly about his lot, despite having plenty of reason to do so. He's gone because the club have made zero effort to retain his services. 

People can talk all they want and find reasons to justify or provide mitigation for the actions of our owners but the fact is they are bad news and have been since the day they walked through the door. 

Our club is a husk, a soulless husk. Rotten to the core, and it breaks my heart. 
    ‘Breaks your heart!’ No doubt you will get used to it when you follow the club for the length of time many posters on this forum have done. You just move on. 

No doubt Birch has been aware that GP could well leave so let’s hope he won’t let the grass grow under his feet in search of a replacement. 
    Let’s just hope that whoever it is will arrive in plenty of time unlike when Potter was appointed
    Thanks for the patronising response Colin, nonetheless I'll clarify what I mean as you've not understood correctly.

It's not Potter going that breaks my heart (even though I am extremely disappointed), it is the way the club is being run from top to toe. 

McBurnie and Rodon are at a local youth team awards presentation day today, representing the club.

They found out the news the same time as all of us, on Twitter. They are embarrassed.  

That is our club right now, summed up. Wrong, wrong, wrong - wherever you look. No class, no decorum, no dignity.
    Perhaps you can blame that on social media but there again it doesn’t take much for you to hammer nails into the club. 
    If I am hammering the nails in Col, it's only because the club are holding them firmly in place for me, whilst supplying me with the hammer. 

You may think I derive pleasure in it, believe me I don't. But they get what they deserve, I'm sorry. 
    Gary,
    you don’t get it, it’s blame, blame on the club whatever happens.
    no official announcement from Brighton yet you blame the Swans for not making it official.
    Why don’t you realise that it’s agents pontificating with the media who are fuelling your and everybody’s ego. FFS.

If you only took your blinkers off and stayed away from the baying hounds you would ask yourself who is actually to blame for a situation where all of a sudden the club has no player recruitment officer. 
    Oh yes, it’s the Yanks who are at fault!!!
    Mark_Jack_London
  • moorlands said:
    Pretty well sums up my opinion as well.

Disappointed in him but I won't be too critical as I don't know the behind the scene details.
  • @Colin_swansea

Why are you so angry?

I'm not the one destroying our football club. 

I'm not the one who took over in spring 2016, pretended I had financial clout, oversaw the sale of any player of value, overspent on crap replacements and got the club relegated from the Premier League within 22 months. 

You need to concentrate your negative energy on holding to account the people responsible for that, not people posting on this site. You want to get your priorities right mate.  
    Keith
  • Tony pullis anyone? Iff that happens il chopp my cock off and convert to Islam!!?
    barryDubDragon
  • @Colin_swansea

Why are you so angry?

I'm not the one destroying our football club. 

I'm not the one who took over in spring 2016, pretended I had financial clout, oversaw the sale of any player of value, overspent on crap replacements and got the club relegated from the Premier League within 22 months. 

You need to concentrate your negative energy on holding to account the people responsible for that, not people posting on this site. You want to get your priorities right mate.  
    Gary
    Not angry, disappointed in what’s transpired,  but what pisses me off is guys like yourself who time and time again like a stuck record you blame the club for everything, very much like shop stewards of old who have hate tattooed on their fingers.

In this instance you blame the club for not making an official announcement yet there hasn’t been one from Brighton. So who is to blame?

If I possessed negative energy I would have walked away from watching the Swans in the late 60’s or mid-70’s when almost everybody in the city was ridiculing the football club. Yet within 3 years the same fans were proclaiming Curt and Robbie.

Its guys like you who prefer to be stuck in anonymity behind your keyboard instead of getting off your arse to talk to people and find out what exactly is going on. Life / football, most things nowadays is fuelled by social media, unlike an old fart like myself who has learned there are always two sides to an argument. Just believe me, at this moment with GP there is.
  • @Jack_14_Army

Gary,
    you don’t get it, it’s blame, blame on the club whatever happens.
    no official announcement from Brighton yet you blame the Swans for not making it official.
    Why don’t you realise that it’s agents pontificating with the media who are fuelling your and everybody’s ego. FFS.

If you only took your blinkers off and stayed away from the baying hounds you would ask yourself who is actually to blame for a situation where all of a sudden the club has no player recruitment officer. 
    Oh yes, it’s the Yanks who are at fault!!!

The Yanks are at fault at present, it was HJ and others at fault for selling out to incompetent footballing no hopers.
    Gary and myself might go over the top in our criticism but the truth is its happening, last year we slipped, this year we stabilised and now we will slip again, we managed to at last find a tidy manager, he's gone, we see fruition from our academy and they will go. Both our estimates of looming disaster might be slightly off the timescales we have been on about since 2016 but the inevitable will occur, Potter was a gift and our owners didn't appreciate it   
    garythenotrashcougarKeith
  • @Colin_swansea

As I say, you have anger issues and that last post is yet more evidence of it.

I know you like your evidence so you of all people will be appreciative of that. 
  • Not sure the connection with chopping and converting, but do what you got to do!
  • @Colin_swansea

I know you like your evidence so you of all people will be appreciative of that. 
    Gary,
    in your case you don’t like the truth being told but in my world I trust people who tell me what is happening and they hav’nt let me down yet. 
    Pablo
  • @Colin_swansea

Gary,
    in your case you don’t like the truth being told but in my world I trust people who tell me what is happening and they hav’nt let me down yet. 
    What is truth, Colin?

You may have your little moles on the inside of the club telling you their version of events, but I refer you back to my post before last. That's the truth. There's nothing in there that isn't true. I'd be very surprised if you can argue the case that we're in a better position now than we were in May 2016, but perhaps you'll surprise me. 

As for your accusation I want to heap blame on the club for the current mess the club's in, well where else should I go then? Please advise. Do I blame Nigel Farage? Donald Trump? Jeremy Corbyn? The plummeting value of the pound? 
    Keith
  • Not a good day to be a Swans fan. Let’s hope Birch can weave some magic and find us a decent manager. Owners who needs them?
  • SeaJack said:
    Not a good day to be a Swans fan. Let’s hope Birch can weave some magic and find us a decent manager. Owners who needs them?

Which owners are you blaming here? Brighton's? Because they're the ones who've met Potter's release clause.

Time and again we've seen that managers will take a step up the pyramid when offered. Waste of time getting upset about it, really. That's football.
    Pablo
  • @Colin_swansea

Gary,
    What is truth, Colin?

You may have your little moles on the inside of the club telling you their version of events, but I refer you back to my post before last. That's the truth. There's nothing in there that isn't true. I'd be very surprised if you can argue the case that we're in a better position now than we were in May 2016, but perhaps you'll surprise me. 

As for your accusation I want to heap blame on the club for the current mess the club's in, well where else should I go then? Please advise. Do I blame Nigel Farage? Donald Trump? Jeremy Corbyn? The plummeting value of the pound? 
    Farage would sell us to England and Trump would put a wall around the stadium to stop fans getting in. We don't need them, we have our Yanks they sell what they can and don't need a wall as the fans will stop going on their own, or did they buy that land to build a wall. because I cant think what the F else they bought it for. Gary I sympathise with you, there are some on this site, who cant see any wrong in what has gone on since 2016 and cant even contemplate it will get far worse.
    With all the defence, there is no reasoning, except we have to cut back on everything, its good business.  No they are totally wrong, there is no good business in  football, there are no successful clubs who make money, people who back successful clubs do it for passion, clubs who try to make money in football, normally do but ruin the club and fan base in the process.
    From Man City to Lincoln both successful, don't make a penny for the owners.
    For those who think making money and success can be achieved together, think on.
    We need owners who love football and have enough money not to care about losing, they are about, HJ just didn't find them 
    garythenotrashcougar
  • What the h*ll are you guys talking about. We have just lost our Manager, and we get its just football and Farage and Trump.

That is what you have to contribute. You are not connected to reality.
  • I hope he comes out and tells swans fans what was said in his meeting with the club. We need to know the true state we are at. If it transpires he got reassurances but still felt he needed to move, let us know. If they couldn't give any reassurance, again let us know. 
  • What the h*ll are you guys talking about. We have just lost our Manager, and we get its just football and Farage and Trump.

It's called sarcasm, mate. 

Colin was asking me why I'm blaming the club for all the problems they've inflicted on themselves.

I'm then taking the piss by asking whether I should blame the usual suspects who seem to have most of the blame laid at their door for everything that goes wrong in the world these days. 

Geddit?

It's called sarcasm, mate. 

Colin was asking me why I'm blaming the club for all the problems they've inflicted on themselves.

I'm then taking the piss by asking whether I should blame the usual suspects who seem to have most of the blame laid at their door for everything that goes wrong in the world these days. 

Geddit?
    Oh yes he does, Oh no he doesnt
  • As far as I am concerned GP made a financial decision which probably supports his family’s long term financial security. I dont have a problem with that.

However with all the talk of a long term project and the what now feels like a rather fake YJB session at the end of the last match, I feel let down. If GP was disappointed during the season we needed to hear it. You cant just toe the party line and then change at the end of the season. 

Its us, the fans, who have been let down, and its Swansea City FC that has been scr*wed over, with no manager, no coaches and no recruitment team, and probably another f*cking crap preseason.

We need to hear honesty, ‘Iwent for the money’, at least I could respect that, rather than all the f*cking pretence.
  • As far as I am concerned GP made a financial decision which probably supports his family’s long term financial security. I dont have a problem with that.

However with all the talk of a long term project and the what now feels like a rather fake YJB session at the end of the last match, I feel let down. If GP was disappointed during the season we needed to hear it. You cant just toe the party line and then change at the end of the season. 

Its us, the fans, who have been let down, and its Swansea City FC that has been scr*wed over, with no manager, no coaches and no recruitment team, and probably another f*cking crap preseason.

We need to hear honesty, ‘Iwent for the money’, at least I could respect that, rather than all the f*cking pretence.
    That is one way of looking at it, sure.

But just indulge me for a second.

You've got a job for life in Sweden. You get an offer from a second tier English club who have courted you for years, an offer that on the face of it is very attractive. So you uproot your family and go for it.  

You soon realise, very early on, that the offer wasn't quite what it said on the tin. You shit yourself, because you're not really in a very strong bargaining position, yet you know that if this doesn't start well you'll be out of a job through very little fault of your own.

So you choose to keep your head down and get on with it. You choose not to rock the boat. You work hard and you achieve, against all the odds.

At the end of the season, you get offered a way out. For a better job, better pay, better bosses, better working conditions and better long term prospects.

Never mind all the YJB bollocks. He was never going to stay. It was a no brainer.

You mean like all those other managers do??? He probably meant the long term project chat at the time then a better offer came along and off he went. I think you are doing BHA a disservice too. They are certainly more ambitious than what are so its not entirely about money. Its about testing himself at the top table with a club with ambition (as well as the money)

garythenotrashcougar
  • @garythenotrashcougar I really don’t have a problem with him making the financial decision for his family., but why the pretence. What Im expressing is the personal feeling, he will be successful, but he doesn’t have my best wishes.

You may call the YJB pretence as bollocks which in retrospect it clearly was, then why did GP feel the need to do it, it implied fairly explicitly a connection to the fans, which clearly wasn’t there.

I was there and The message I received wasn’t,

‘I’ve been scr*wed this year and I will be off if I get a good offer’,

it came across as

‘ I understand you, thanks for the support, we can do great things next season’

Lets not dress it up, the Un-Dynamic Duo clearly didn’t haven’t anything useful to offer, but in the end it’s the loyal fans who get f*cked.

No let’s call it what it is, we were duped by the manager into believing there was a long term project. I don’t believe the owners have a long term project, but when  the manager tells us, I will believe, but clearly he was lying to us.

He is gone now, and I don’t wish him any success, I just want us to recover from the position we now find ourselves.

The message is we can’t believe what the owners tell us, which we have known for some time, but now we know we can believe what any manager tells us either. That makes me feel really good about our next appointment, who is the next liar going to be.

Is that where we are? At the moment it feels like that! People move on all the time, but not people who have said there is a long term project and then leave after less than 12 months.

Honestly I hope Brighton get relegated, but GP is probably too good a manager to let that happen. Does that make me feel any better, No, because Swansea is my Club and I don’t care about Brighton, other than I would make sure we don’t sell a single player to them, not that he will need it, as he is now ‘Loads of Money’ Potter.

Good Riddance.
    JoHKeith
  • @JoH Really helpful comment, all managers are liars, and why do you care about Brighton. If you want to support Brighton get on their website and wax lyrical about GP.

The ‘he meant it at the time’ comment means what exactly. I meant there was a long term project but sadly someone offered me more money, so that means I can renege on any comments previously made. I believe is a fair definition of lying.
  • There is no loyalty in football any more. The board lied to Potter from early in his tenure. Potter has used the club as a stepping stone. Football itself, not just scfc but football itself, is not worthy of my support. ****** them all. I'm off to watch the Lakers. A plagiue on all their houses.
    Arch_Stanton
  • Good luck at the Lakers but at least an honest reply.
  • edited May 2019
    @garythenotrashcougar I really don’t have a problem with him making the financial decision for his family., but why the pretence. What Im expressing is the personal feeling, he will be successful, but he doesn’t have my best wishes.

You may call the YJB pretence as bollocks which in retrospect it clearly was, then why did GP feel the need to do it, it implied fairly explicitly a connection to the fans, which clearly wasn’t there.

I was there and The message I received wasn’t,

‘I’ve been scr*wed this year and I will be off if I get a good offer’,

it came across as

‘ I understand you, thanks for the support, we can do great things next season’

Lets not dress it up, the Un-Dynamic Duo clearly didn’t haven’t anything useful to offer, but in the end it’s the loyal fans who get f*cked.

No let’s call it what it is, we were duped by the manager into believing there was a long term project. I don’t believe the owners have a long term project, but when  the manager tells us, I will believe, but clearly he was lying to us.

He is gone now, and I don’t wish him any success, I just want us to recover from the position we now find ourselves.

The message is we can’t believe what the owners tell us, which we have known for some time, but now we know we can believe what any manager tells us either. That makes me feel really good about our next appointment, who is the next liar going to be.

Is that where we are? At the moment it feels like that! People move on all the time, but not people who have said there is a long term project and then leave after less than 12 months.

Honestly I hope Brighton get relegated, but GP is probably too good a manager to let that happen. Does that make me feel any better, No, because Swansea is my Club and I don’t care about Brighton, other than I would make sure we don’t sell a single player to them, not that he will need it, as he is now ‘Loads of Money’ Potter.

Good Riddance.
    I hate to do this @SpringheeledJack, but you won't find any quotes where Potter committed his undying love for Swansea. He may have acknowledged a long term project that needed doing, but that is a long stretch away from what you are suggesting.

Perhaps it makes it easier for you to conflate a moment where he happened to get carried away a bit after an end of season home game, with what Martinez did. I don't know, perhaps you need to do this in order to put him in the box marked 'evil', so you can move on.

But it doesn't make any of what you're suggesting true, I'm afraid.
  • Maybe GP couldn’t instigate a long term plan that would amount to an ambitious project because these f’in owners decided to about turn on their  side of the bargain that wooed him here in the first place. I don’t know what they expected him to do after being sold a pup, only him leaving has happened far sooner than I expected as I thought he’d be our manager for at least another season. All I can say is I’ll be watching BHA’s set piece defence tactics with interest.