Football betting site Betway

Early days - but what is the Cooper report card?

recognising that there is such a wide difference of opinion (thank the lord) on this site, and that there are different levels of optimism/pessimism excitement/caution etc. 
I wonder what SC's report card would say if you were doing a probationary appraisal.
I will kick it off by saying that I am VERY encouraged by what I have seen summarised as follows:
* Obviously wants to play a possession based game with the emphasis on attack, and is putting that into action
* The one piece of actual recruitment was a solid professional (with upside) in a position of massive need - and when pressed on other areas for improvement he has variously mentioned centre back and attackers with pace - I believe his assessment of the squad is close to mine!
* he continues to give the youngsters a chance - and is supporting them in the media, and resisting throwing them under the bus when inevitable mistakes are made
* Recognises the need to address goalkeeping and set pieces and has added MM to the coaching team to help with this
* Wants us to get more bodies in the box and take more shots  - so VERY positive in approach
* Keeps his trap shut in the media about prospective transfer targets - hopefully until they are pictured in a Swans shirt
* Was the choice of TB AC and LB and therefore has a close working relationship with the leaders both on/off the pitch
* Talks about the discipline of professionals on/off the field and the togetherness of the squad - VERY important, and seems to be choosing his skipper as a role model for the young players.

the negatives for me are largely too early to judge BUT
* We seem to continue to ship goals from set pieces - NO progress
* To date we have not seen any of the contacts he has with young talent and large clubs translate into help in recruitment
* our friendlies have been largely a procession when our best team are on the field - so we are untested against better opposition who want to get in  our face and disrupt us

On the whole VERY pleased with what I have seen so far - am I alone?
rob_h

Comments

• Good appraisal. Positives outweigh the negatives which is always important. I’m looking forward to the upcoming season already. Not dreading it is a good indicator of where we’ll be come the end of the season for me.
  • A perfect 0 out of 0 from me so far.

Far to early to draw conclusions.
    novilik
  • Asking for opinions not conclusions @jasper_T ; - if you don't have one that is fine I know you are a "slow burner"
  • I don't have an opinion on him at the moment, either way. It was the same with Potter last year, I waited until the real stuff started before judging. Pre season is notoriously unreliable.

What I will say is that as things stand he goes into the season with a considerably weaker squad than Potter had to work with, and that was hardly brimming with quality. I will temper any assessment of the competitive stuff with this firmly in mind (unless we go on a wholly unlikely spending spree).
  • Very pleased what I am seeing and hearing at this time ,

Going to disagree with Gary,  with the squad we have now   I think we are stronger than last year ,

The present team have played nearly a full season in the championship  ,  Connor , Joe , Matty  , Bersant ,George , Ollie , and should improve  .
    Also have Nathan and Wayne to start the season , Dhanda looks as if he could be useful , McKay and Asoro will be better ,
    The big negative  is losing Dan  
    I'm  optimistic  for this season  .
    Jackareme
  • Way to early and frankly if he cant raise our optimism at this stage of his tenure we are in trouble! For me will wait until we are 10 games in. for the initial appraisal
  • Malc said:
     with the squad we have now   I think we are stronger than last year ,

The present team have played nearly a full season in the championship  ,  Connor , Joe , Matty  , Bersant ,George , Ollie , and should improve  .
    Also have Nathan and Wayne to start the season , Dhanda looks as if he could be useful , McKay and Asoro will be better 

I agree with you, I think the squad has become stronger for this season, they have played championship football last season and are all developing well. Also Bidwell has come in who should help us.

If (as I suspect) Cooper and his team may be better than Potter, there could be more improvements to come. 
  • Malc said:
    Very pleased what I am seeing and hearing at this time ,

Going to disagree with Gary,  with the squad we have now   I think we are stronger than last year ,

Also have Nathan and Wayne to start the season , Dhanda looks as if he could be useful , McKay and Asoro will be better ,
    The big negative  is losing Dan  
    I'm  optimistic  for this season  .
    I would agree with that assessment, young players from last year have full behind them and Dhanda look like he could give us another option. 
  • Good article by Guto Llewellyn in Swansea Evening Post. 
    It emphasises pre season friendly matches are just that...friendlies.
    No season start can be based on how the July friendly results panned out.
    The style of footie looks fast and demands high fitness. Players appear to like the training and the Cooper-Marsh way.
    Baker Richardson not adequate support for Oli Mcburnie. Hopefully a few things will transpire in loan market.
    rob_hJackareme
  • The manager has a by far stronger team than what Potter inherited in last year’s pre-season while the pattern of play resembles matches from last season, even to the extent of conceding at set pieces. 

On the showing at Yeovil the home side are going to struggle in what is a very competitive National League. 

Fitness levels are being built up but best not to get carried away as quality replacements are desperately required in key areas, c/back, striker and pace out wide to replace Dan. My hopes were on Garrick having overcome his hamstring problems but this particular problem does not appear to be clearing up.
  • Some interesting opinions, and I agree it's too early to judge yet, but it seems he wants to play attacking football with wingers which I would be happy to see.

One thing troubles me though; if Mcburnie goes then it leaves CBR as our main striker. I don't think he's ready for that yet. I was talking to my sons and said I felt his best option would be a season loan to a league 1 club.

Asoro looked lively when he came on v Yeovil, but he's not a target man. Would we persevere with CBR and risk ruining his confidence if he struggles to score initially.

From what I've seen of him (which is not a lot) speed isn't his strength so he needs to use his physicality and learn to be in the right place at the right time. As he was for his goal, but he did miss a free header just before. A loan deal would help him progress I feel.

We've been told we will be looking at the loan market and free transfers. Will we find what we need there?

At the moment I'm optimistic for the season, but will be less so if we allow Mcburnie to go and don't get a suitable replacement.
    Jackareme
  • Too early to judge, but I'd say promising signs.

- possession-based football looking good
    - attacking play definitely improving - we are created, if not taking, many, many chances.
    - the one signing he has made has looked decent - although the opposition will be more testing when we actually kick off the season
    - Dhanda's form and physique is a big plus. Very excited to see him in attack this season.

less promising / more work to do
    - finishing. hopefully match sharpness will improve putting the ball in the net
    - defending set pieces. still very poor. Margetson has a lot of work to do
    - keeper. still big questionmarks
    Jackareme
  • Not too early to judge for me, preseason friendlies are important and need to build momentum over the period. 

The important things are progression in play and style over the friendlies, scoring goals, not conceding goals and finding ways to win to build confidence.

So 3 ticks in the box and one null so far. I dont think SC and the team could be doing much more at this point. Setpieces need to be addressed quickly,

Real interesting positives are the possession yet verticality ( is that a word? ) , some of the really powerful and quick forward runs being made and the initial signs of high pressing.

However we really need to keep the team together.

Jackareme
  • Thank you Malaga, I was starting to be worried I was turning into an American!
  • As many as 4 people claiming the squad is stronger than this time last year. 

As Greavsie used to say "it's a funny old game"
    bigoak

Time will tell @garythenotrashcougar - I think those guest bookers are expecting/hoping that the young guns will be that much stronger than last year (physically and mentally) and therefore be stronger as a team - The Yeovil game suggested there might be some supporting evidence (and YES I know it is only Yeovil). Bigger challenges await - lets see!

In the friendly match at Yeovil last season we 'struggled' to beat the home team 2-1, yet on paper the squad that played was almost the same as this week's squad plus Blair, A Lewis, Fernandez, James, Amat, Carroll, Maric, Narsingh, A Ayew. While in the following friendly v Newport you can add the following players, Montero, Asoro, J Ayew.

The experience gained by Roberts, Rodon, Grimes, Byers and Oli over the last twelve months, plus the quality of the likes of Celina and Bidwell, not counting the improvements shown by Dyer, Naughton and Routledge indicate that the squad is far stronger teamwise than a year ago.

Its all about opinion though, isn't it?
  • WE STILL HAVE NORDFELT ON THE BOOKS.
    wake the ****** up.

The very first thing that should have been done was to rip up his contract.Yeovil goal is exactly what he is about.Not impressed
  • Was Nordfeldt at fault really for the goal at Yeovil or the one at Crawley when an opposing player ran unopposed to head home a few yards from the back post. Poor marking, poor organisation and no different to last season. 
    DDWTMark_Jack_London
  • The defence as a whole was at fault, but even though he shouldnt have had a free header, I was surprised there was no reaction from Kristo even get close to the ball.

Their keeper had a lot more to do but he always reacted and got down low and high to a number of shots. He kept the score to single figures, together with Bersant’s little too relaxed finishes. However Celina made a lot of excellent runs at pace. The finishing will come I hope.
  • Nordfeldt, like many modern keepers prefers to stay on his line, throughout his time with us, but if a keeper leaves diagonal crosses to his back post he expects the players in front of him to compete in the aerial dual or block their opponents. Hoorn, Rodon, Fulton, Oli and Roberts are all aware of Nordfeldt staying on his line.
  • Nordfeldt would be my prefered option. If the defending can improve that would help him out a lot.
  • edited July 2019
    Nordfeldt, like many modern keepers prefers to stay on his line, throughout his time with us, but if a keeper leaves diagonal crosses to his back post he expects the players in front of him to compete in the aerial dual or block their opponents. Hoorn, Rodon, Fulton, Oli and Roberts are all aware of Nordfeldt staying on his line.
    I agree but there's times when he's rooted to his line and the ball is in his six yard box, that's his ball, in my book, he's 6'4', can use his hands, not only to catch it but to punch it away, with his height, a jump and extended arms that's a near 10 feet reach, no strikers should get near him except Peter Crouch 
  • De Vries and Vorm were the same, both stayed on their line leaving it to his defenders to win the battle.
  • edited July 2019
    The difference for me is both De Vries and Vorm wouldnt have been that far over on the right side of goal and both would have at least dived to get near it. Its as wrong to just blame the defenders as it is to just blame the keeper.

Both areas need improving and quickly. I believe all teams including Exeter this weekend, will target corners, free kicks and throw ins against us. Both the defenders and keepers ned to improve positioning, timing of jumps and reactions.

• When Mulder came into the team last season he was a breath of fresh air in taking the pressure of his defenders by coming off his line to gather crosses, but for some reason a few matches later he reverted to staying on his line, leaving the ball to be cleared by his defenders/midfielder or Oli. Whether he was under orders to stay on his line and leave his team mates to clear we don't know, but the deficiency continues and we are a soft touch to our opponents. I bet Neil Warnock cant wait to set his team out to batter us on set piece plays. 
    cecilKeith
  • A goalkeeper is or should be in charge of his box.He is the man who should organise. They talk/shout. Nordfelt not only does not that but actually avoids physical contact in any shape or form.A complete shihouse and a stain on our jersey.He should have no support at all.Mulder is the one I feel sorry for.Potter completely wrecked his head .Unforgivable. 
    Arch_Stanton
  • Think you will find that the furthest defender(I think it is Fulton) appears to be caught flat footed and allows the Yeovil goalscorer to get ahead of him to head the goal. We have conceded far too many goals to such a cross that evades our tall defenders, goes over them to a runner at the far post.  No way at all you can attach blame on the keeper as he has to come across and cover his near post allowing the Yeovil goalscorer to head the ball across him.