Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Northampton Town - Carabao Cup 2019/20

edited August 2019 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Northampton Town Carabao Cup 1st Round game on Tuesday 13 August 2019 at 7:45pm.

The referee is Kevin Johnson - who will be referee for his very first Swans game - and his assistants are Kevin Morris and Stephen Plane, with Richard Morris the 4th Official for the game.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments and team selection on this thread.

Comments

• Nordfeldt

Naughton
    Wilmot
    Harries
    John

Asoro
    Byers
    Peterson
    Dhanda

Ayew

Surridge

• I believe that team would be missing the opportunity to embed how we play. Just playing fringe players, doesnt help the team who need to get us promotion.
  • Two 10s, two wingers and two strikers. Brave.
  • How does that help us? Just imbalanced and putting players in the team for the sake of it.

Not brave just silly.
  • Mulder
    Naughton Cooper Wilmot John
    Dyer Byers Evans Peterson
    Dhanda Surridge

Woodman, Rodon, Roberts, Carroll, Garrick, Routledge, Borja

Rest the key players. Minutes for the new ones. Don't risk Kalulu if he's got a knock.
  • Well we dont play 4-4-2, Dhanda isnt a striker, its mis-using Dyer and Peterson, John is  a wing back not a full back. 

These are the basic problems with your team.
  • Woodman needs minutes in a pro game - he starts. My back 4 is Naughton and John at full back Wilmot and one other youngster (cabango/Cooper/Harries) Vdh on the bench in case of fire break glass!
    Midfield (assuming fitness) is Routs Dyer Carroll Byers
    Peterson playing in behind Surridge.
    Gives all our players playing time - I disagree with @SpringheeledJack. It would be nice to embed the style - but this is a VERY long season and our fringe players need meaningful action to put pressure on the first XI
  • I believe SC will want to have a good run in the cup so cant see more than 5 changes in the team for Tuesday.
  • It will be interesting to see @SpringheeledJack - I would be surprised if there aren't at least 7 different starters. But it will be a revealing insight into Cooper's mindset! 
  •      Nordfelt 
    Naughton , Wilmot , Cooper , John ,
           Evan's,  Byers ,
                        Mckay 
    Asoro ,   Surridge , Peterson , 

Maybe Carroll and Routledge  have some game time off the bench ,
  • edited August 2019
    Yes @Jackareme it will be, I believe we saw an insight at the press conference after the match. SC is competitive and expects us to win home or away. He also seems to want us to learn to play his style quickly

Its essential to get time in competitive matches to embed the playing style, competition is the true test.
  • Jackareme said:
    Woodman needs minutes in a pro game - he starts. My back 4 is Naughton and John at full back Wilmot and one other youngster (cabango/Cooper/Harries) Vdh on the bench in case of fire break glass!
    Midfield (assuming fitness) is Routs Dyer Carroll Byers
    Peterson playing in behind Surridge.
    Gives all our players playing time - I disagree with @SpringheeledJack. It would be nice to embed the style - but this is a VERY long season and our fringe players need meaningful action to put pressure on the first XI
    Strategy / style of play is embedded on the training field while squad players need to play matches especially new signings and kids who are good enough to train with the first team every day.
    No need to play Woodman and we have 3 other keepers eligible for the subs role, chose either from Nordfeldt, Mulder and Benda.
    Naughton, B Cooper, Wilmot and John in a straight back four that could easily change to 3 c/backs if necessary and enable John to play wing back.
    Jack Evans and Dhanda central with McKay and Peterson out wide with Byers playing at 10 with Surridge up front.
    Select from Rodon, Hoorn, Harries, Asoro, Fulton, Routledge, Dyer, Roberts while it's a few weeks too early for Garrick after playing just 45 minutes last week at Norwich for the 23's.

• Well we dont play 4-4-2, Dhanda isnt a striker, its mis-using Dyer and Peterson, John is  a wing back not a full back. 

These are the basic problems with your team.
    Christ you're pedantic. That or just thick.

https://i.imgur.com/CTe5iua.jpg

(Yes, I forgot to change Peterson's shirt number)

enaitch
  • Of course  John is a full back , he can play wing back , was bought to play full back .
  • Then tell us what the formation is why use 4-4-2. Dont blame me if you get it wrong, Mr Thickee.

• Mulder (if fit). Naughts, Wilmot, Cabango, John. Byers, Evans, Peterson, McKay, Asoro, Surridge. 4-2-3-1. Mckay as the 10
  • Yep , same for me , apart from Cooper for Cabango  , and Nordfelt  ,

Team that played Crystal Palace last  season in the Cup ,

Nordfeldt, 
    Naughton , Harries , Cooper , John ,

James , Grimes ,  Carrol ,  Byers ,
                     Dhanda 
                       C B R ,

Can see we are in a much stronger  position  this year with the squad we have  ,
    Jackareme
  • Malc said:
         Nordfelt 
    Naughton , Wilmot , Cooper , John ,
           Evan's,  Byers ,
                        Mckay 
    Asoro ,   Surridge , Peterson , 

Maybe Carroll and Routledge  have some game time off the bench ,
    I'd completely forgotten about McKay. 
    Jackareme
  • Does David Cornell still play for Northampton?
  • Does David Cornell still play for Northampton?
    He does.
  • Came on as a sub after 65 mins yesterday  , so should play .
  • I like watching these early cup rounds and, strangely, I am actually looking forward to tomorrow night's match more than Saturday's.

I've no idea how Cooper will treat such games but I'm hoping for a combination of mostly first teamers and a few bench/squad players - thereby allowing us to keep our normal shape, give us a decent chance of progressing but also to give some of the new boys a run out from the start - Wilmot, Surridge & Peterson I would hope.
  • @Jeff_Cowbridge completely agree almost a 50%/50% split required,  but Wilmot, Peterson, Surridge and Routs need to start
  • Not being broadcast I take it? 
  • Gazza4421 said:
    Not being broadcast I take it? 
    Someone has the rights but won't be showing it as we're not playing a big club. No SwansTV.
  • jasper_T said:
    Gazza4421 said:
    Not being broadcast I take it? 
    Someone has the rights but won't be showing it as we're not playing a big club. No SwansTV.
    Usually show goals on sky as they happen
    PompeyJack
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but in choosing a possible team for this evening I am finding it difficult to make many changes to our previously starting mid-field. I assume Carrol won't play so who have we got other than Grimes, Fulton and Byers.? 
  • Depends on the formation Cooper picks.
    Jack Evans, McKay, Routledge, Dhanda, Asoro
  • As long as Nordfelt doesn t start Im happy.
    Pablo
  • I am concerned by the need to go back to back from Preston to travelling to London for QPR in four days. For that reason alone I expect to see a minimum of 7 changes to the starting XI.

I also think it is the right thing to do as we will need all of our squad this year and they need game time to keep them motivated and sharp. I also think we owe them one after getting bullied there last year (with Angel leading the charge). Don't want to go there with heavy legs, and we have a much stronger squad than this time last year.
    rob_hKeith