Football betting site Betway

Interest in Ayew

As expected a few clubs apparently showing an interest. Schalke, Werder Bremen, Sampdoria named as potential suitors. What will the owners do after such a superb start? Time to give Huw Jenkins the phones i think.

Comments

• Mike - Birch has made it crystal clear that he takes the final decision on who stays and who goes, not the shareholders. (See BBC interview earlier this month on where the buck stopped on the Oli transfer.)

I find it interesting that all the speculation has been about Ayew, who has played well, with two goals and two assists so far this season, rather than BB, with 5 and 1. Is that because Ayew's agent is actively promoting him, or because the club are genuinely open to offers? Why nothing on Borja Baston - have we put out a 'not for sale' sign? And is it just my impression, or are the club giving Borja lots of opportunities to tell the media how happy he is, whereas there has been relative silence from AA? (Which could indicate the club are confident that BB is staying and want to build supporter affection, but not so much with Ayew?)

We won't get a transfer fee for BB now unless he signs another deal with us soon, which would be a hell of a risk for us to take at this stage in the season, so is the best thing to keep him and get as many good performances as we can? With Ayew, there's still money to be made from a sale - but is that best achieved by keeping him playing and in the shop window at the Swans, where Cooper is getting great performances out of him, or by loaning him out to a team where he may struggle for game time and have another meh season under a manager who cares less about coaching under-achievers?
    rob_hbarry
  • edited August 27
    I hope you’re right Cadleigh because i saw Birch next to Leon in the Birmingham game and he would have undoubtedly been very impressed with the performance and more importantly the commitment of the whole team. We could be on the verge of something very special again. Cooper has got everyone singing from the same hymn sheet and I would hate to see us throw it all away by unsettling the team again. A win against Leeds would go along way to making my mind up permanently on whether we have to keep Ayew for this season based on the superb start we’ve already made.
    Cadleigh
  • Borja in a recent interview with Spanish press said he was very happy to stay. Is hoping for promotion. And didnt rule out signing  a new deal at the end of the season.

rob_hCadleigh
  •  If there is a good deal on the table then most likely it will be accepted, but it’s worth looking at the options, with I believe about 18 months left on Ayew’s contract, as He signed in January

Option1: We minimise our losses by full loan - We loan out Ayew for the next 18months with zero transfer fee at the end of it. We get no team benefit, it costs us about £6.75m in contract write off and about £6m in salary for a total of £12.75m less any loan fee and salary we can get clubs to pay. Let’s say we get £1m loan fees in total and 60% contribution to salary that’s about £4.6m that gives us a net cost of about £8.15m with no benefit to the playing team.

Option 2: We minimise our losses by a loan and hope we get a transfer at the end of that loan - The big question will be get a sale at the end of the first loan, in the Summer, to do that Ayew would need to impress and we could have another Jordan salary problem plus a precontract negotiation as well. The sale would have to be built in in s9me way. If we did then we would save the salary from next summer to January about £2m plus any transfer fee say about £2m, but we still get the first year loan fee and salary contribution worth about £3m, so that gives us a net cost of £5.75m. Still no benefit to the playing team

Option 3: We play Ayew and hope we can sell him in January. This is the high risk strategy. Ayew would have to play well and impress so clubs see him as an attractive proposition, say 12+ goals and 8 assists. Our costs are £12.75m but if a big club is attracted, we might get £4m in fees and avoid salary costs of about £4m for a net cost of £4.75m. The issue is it is high risk and dependent of staying injury free, delivering for the team and that a club is willing to pay a reasonable but not excessive transfer fee.

The reason I have chosen January is that once we get to the Summer Ayew May be able to have precontract discussions with clubs and we might not get a fee. I may have than wrong but the principle is the same.

How big a risk are we able to take, and there is also the factor of new players producing performances, so selling isn’t a problem.
  • His contract runs until the end of next season.
  • I think the pre-contract signings are normally done in the January before a contract ends, and that could be the position we might well find ourselves in January regarding Hoorn.

Ayew is already drawing more interest than in the 2018 summer and even though some of the reports are mentioning clubs requesting the Swans pay some of his wages, the interest appears to be such that there could well be an offer on the table before the window closes.

It will be a good sign finance wise should the club turn down any offers and both Baston and Ayew remain here until possibly January but should they both stay, as far as the January window is concerned, cross that bridge when we get to it. 
  • If we are mid table by January and not likely to be in the playoffs, we probably should sell him. If we are still near the top of the league, the added crowd revenue pays for him - so we can keep him here to help with our promotion push.
  • If we're midtable in January with both on the books we're in the shit and will need to sell a Dan James to Leeds and clear out bodies on loan.
  • So he signed for 4 1/2 years not 4, then that just makes a Summer 2020 sale viable and the salary costs 2 full years. The principles are the same, Will Ayew impress more 1. playing for us and performing well or
    2. on loan again
  • jasper_T said:
    If we're midtable in January with both on the books we're in the shit and will need to sell a Dan James to Leeds and clear out bodies on loan.

I think there is too much worrying going on. At the moment we have a team that could realistically compete in the Premier (with just a few tweaks here and there). I think there are more improvements from us to come, and we have a good chance of promotion with this team - we are probably better than if we had kept Mcburnie.

If we let Ayew go now, it would cause a massive amount of deflation amongst the fans and the players - I think it would be madness to get rid of him when he is probably the best player in the Championship.

Yes, It could all backfire, and we could lose out, but too much worrying about things means that sometimes you can take your eye off the ball.

I honestly believe that if we fail to get promotion this year, we will lose Cooper - another Prem club will come in for him and we could also lose our best chance of promotion that we have had in years. If we get promoted, Cooper would want to stay with us, that's what I think, and it's another reason why it's important to keep hold of Ayew.
    MikeTasmaniajasper_T
  • Whereas others were stating that a return to the Premier League would be too soon, I was of the opinion that a return to the top flight had to be achieved last season or we would lose our best players whereas there was a chance of keeping them as a Prem club. So it has proved with the loss of DJ and OMcB. What I didn’t foresee was the loss of our manager to Brighton. I thought that that was it, we had a busted flush with no room to manoeuvre for a return anytime soon. Cue the appointment of Steve Cooper and the return of Baston and Ayew to lead the charge into what could become our most successful stint in the Championship since the Brendan Rogers promotion season. So to repeat myself, this needs to be the season that we push for promotion which means keeping Ayew (and Baston) as Swans players. Otherwise we could potentially be back to square one next season and with us not being able to fend off the offers for our players and this time the manager as well.
    rob_h
  • edited August 27
    Transfermkt give Ayew's contract up on June 2021
  • edited August 27
    jasper_T said:
    His contract runs until the end of next season.
    his contract runs until summer 2021. he signed a 3 1/2 year contract when he returned.
    https://talksport.com/football/337924/andre-ayew-seals-swansea-return-club-record-transfer-180131270698/
  •  If there is a good deal on the table then most likely it will be accepted, but it’s worth looking at the options, with I believe about 18 months left on Ayew’s contract, as He signed in January

Option1: We minimise our losses by full loan - We loan out Ayew for the next 18months with zero transfer fee at the end of it. We get no team benefit, it costs us about £6.75m in contract write off and about £6m in salary for a total of £12.75m less any loan fee and salary we can get clubs to pay. Let’s say we get £1m loan fees in total and 60% contribution to salary that’s about £4.6m that gives us a net cost of about £8.15m with no benefit to the playing team.

Option 2: We minimise our losses by a loan and hope we get a transfer at the end of that loan - The big question will be get a sale at the end of the first loan, in the Summer, to do that Ayew would need to impress and we could have another Jordan salary problem plus a precontract negotiation as well. The sale would have to be built in in s9me way. If we did then we would save the salary from next summer to January about £2m plus any transfer fee say about £2m, but we still get the first year loan fee and salary contribution worth about £3m, so that gives us a net cost of £5.75m. Still no benefit to the playing team

Option 3: We play Ayew and hope we can sell him in January. This is the high risk strategy. Ayew would have to play well and impress so clubs see him as an attractive proposition, say 12+ goals and 8 assists. Our costs are £12.75m but if a big club is attracted, we might get £4m in fees and avoid salary costs of about £4m for a net cost of £4.75m. The issue is it is high risk and dependent of staying injury free, delivering for the team and that a club is willing to pay a reasonable but not excessive transfer fee.

The reason I have chosen January is that once we get to the Summer Ayew May be able to have precontract discussions with clubs and we might not get a fee. I may have than wrong but the principle is the same.

How big a risk are we able to take, and there is also the factor of new players producing performances, so selling isn’t a problem.
    Unless he can be sold now, and that costs us nothing in dealing with his wages, then I expect him to stay until at least November when the Chinese window opens.

And if no one comes in then, January.

if he is playing like the first few games he has featured in, then I have no doubts there will be interest. Again, will there be someone who can pay his 80 grand? Maybe only in the PL.
  • edited August 27
    Reading the article regarding the academy tonight has made me feel we do need AA wages off the books. He has reintegrated himself into the side with great credit, however, if a small transfer fee or his wages off the books pays for the Academy for another season then that's good enough for me. Like the article said the tree didn't bear fruit for a couple of years but now hopefully there should be a steady flow of exciting youngsters coming through the system! 
  • That AA signed a contract which expires in 2021 tells me the owners were gambling that he would be a key factor in keeping us up.  Are they willing to gamble that paying him PL wages with Championship revenue will get us promoted?  We'll find out.  Based on what I've seen so far, roll the dice.
  • Gambling on promotion is a terrible business to get involved in. Really should only be a last resort.
    TauntonJack
  • Are you saying that getting promoted is a last resort blimey I know you’re always negative to other posters as you were on PS but every team wants to be in the mix come the end of the season ..... o sorry did I misread your post ... 
    not  :D :D
  • enaitch said:
    Are you saying that getting promoted is a last resort blimey I know you’re always negative to other posters as you were on PS but every team wants to be in the mix come the end of the season ..... o sorry did I misread your post ... 
    not  :D :D
    I think Jasper meant that we shouldn't gamble but live within our means. If we keep him and don't go up its a potentially crippling gamble. However it doesn't mean we can't sell him and still have a go at promotion! 
  • jasper_T said:
    Gambling on promotion is a terrible business to get involved in. Really should only be a last resort.

Isn't that the whole point of the league system, what else are we there for. There has to be some risk or everybody would be buying into the sport.
    jasper_T
  • If a club is only willing to take part of his wages, 50% for example (like Alexis Sanchez from Utd to Inter) to take Andre on loan and we have to stump 40k a week to not play for us, doesn't really make any sense does it.
    rob_hColinNorthampton
  • I say it again..what EXACTLY do we have in Peterson and Kalulu. if they are world beaters then saving half his wages (40k per week) makes some sense. If they are egg beaters then we cannot consider destabilising our attacking potency.
    Cooper and Birch need to make the call.
    rob_hSpringheeledJack
  • if the risk is so great it will cause us unmanageable financial damage, then it is a no-brainer. He goes.

but i think the sale of Oli, Birch indicated, has given him wriggle room regarding Ayew and Borja. 

So the deal will have to be on our terms, and not something that doesnt benefit us, hugely. 
    Jackaremerob_hMikeTasmania
  • Gingergit said:
    jasper_T said:
    Gambling on promotion is a terrible business to get involved in. Really should only be a last resort.

Isn't that the whole point of the league system, what else are we there for. There has to be some risk or everybody would be buying into the sport.
    Spot on, the risk is paying off, we are joint top we have the top scorer and another playing well and with assists. the crowd is up by 2200. If we remain like that the 6M for their wages would be a drop in the ocean, if they go and results falter, crowds will drop to 13,000 costing us 100K a game, to replace them would cost more than 6M without wages.
    Its called investment, theses owners stated they have the financial resources many times, now is the time to prove it.
    Keep till at least January to see if we can get promoted or in the mix, otherwise football comes second and only business succeeds leaving the fans who are the real investors up the creek again  
    rob_hMark_Jack_LondonMikeTasmania
  • Gingergit said:
    jasper_T said:

You can attempt promotion without gambling on it and putting the club in a position where failure means having to sell more players to cover losses. Look at the promoted clubs in the last few seasons. Norwich didn't spend big, they're only just recovered from near-bankruptcy due to previous "ambition". Came an untimely injury to Maddison away from doing a Bolton. 

We can get promoted without Andre Ayew. The idea that he's the sole factor in potentially getting sellout crowds and into the playoffs is some very recent revisionism from fans looking for their next excuse to bash the club.
  • Jackareme said:
    I say it again..what EXACTLY do we have in Peterson and Kalulu. if they are world beaters then saving half his wages (40k per week) makes some sense. If they are egg beaters then we cannot consider destabilising our attacking potency.
    Cooper and Birch need to make the call.
    You would hope they're not complete duds, and Cooper knew what he was doing bringing them in. But Potter's signings weren't any better, were they. 

This time next year Garrick will be at Barcelona and it'll be new contracts for Routs and Dyer again.
  • The line in the sand for me is the academy. We need to be competitive on the pitch and maintain the academy. If Ayew had to go to achieve this - then unfortunately.....
    SpringheeledJackBobColinNorthampton
  • jasper_T said:
    We can get promoted without Andre Ayew. The idea that he's the sole factor in potentially getting sellout crowds and into the playoffs is some very recent revisionism from fans looking for their next excuse to bash the club.
    He looks a level above and probably the best player in our team (and in the championship) at the moment.

How many players have we got in and hoped the would play well and they haven't, Kalulu and Peterson have yet to show any real form.

This is is the biggest point, Ayew is on great form and is playing really well, so it isn't a complete gamble. I'd say it is much more of a gamble to let him go and hope that another player will do as well as he can.

I don't even think we've seen the best of him yet, his confidence will grow and goals are very likely to come soon.

MikeTasmania
  • For once I will agree with Phillip.

this is a calculated risk. It does mean we carry on winning, and the gates carry on climbing.

20 games x extra 2,200 bums on seats (if all adults) adds up to £1.32m.

But if the rumours on Ayew's wages are correct, then is annual wage is £4.16m, so still a massive cost. we'd need 7k increase on wages to cover that salary. We can only increase av gates by around 5k. So max revenue (all adults) is £3m. 

But winning is also more likely to increase TV revenues. That's between £100-140k per match for the home team. £10k to away teams. So we'd need to be at home at least 9 times to cover his wages on top of selling out home games.