Football betting site Betway

Wide players/wingers

edited December 2019 in Swansea City
Ive already commented on our great win yesterday and I liked our shape. Particularly the full backs pushing so high up and giving us the width.

It made me think of Liverpool. Playing with inside forwards and more a 4 3 3 formation.

But my new point is regards the amount of wide players we have. To me it’s an imbalance we can’t afford.

I count 8!
Dyer
Routs
Peterson
Kalulu
McKay
Celina
Ayew
Garrick

8 players for two positions!

plus, he occasionally plays Roberts higher up.

Comments

• He's not averse to Surridge playing wide either. 
  • what i noticed today was fullbacks hugging the touchline - esp Connor 2nd half, as he was on my side of the pitch. 
    SeaJack
  • edited December 2019
    Definitely Mark. 

And getting into the penalty box on numerous occasions.

Roberts is ideal as he’s so fit, he’s back in position quickly.

From the limited times I’ve seen John, I think he’s looked good. 

I’d like to see him given a few starts as I think he could be more of an attacking threat than Bidwell and Naughton.
  • Agreed @DenmarkJack ; - However..
    Luton were perfect for this approach as they had zero high press and also zero attacking threats.
    If a team press us high we will not be able to have the fullbacks have such a high starting position (Connor spent more time in the Luton half than his own), and if the opposition have a wide threat going the other way we will get crucified if the two full backs are not at home.
    Brentford game is a perfect example - Connor will be much less able to give us width when attacking  because the gaping chasm behind him will be exploited by quick passing on the counter attack. Brentford are very good going forward.
    Unfortunately I expect Boxing day to see Cooper resort to a Monk style defensive block and attempt to make the game a snooze fest. Think Leeds away - that is what I see as the likely pattern.
  • not first half he didnt, jackarme.

first half we played way too deep. inviting them on.

2nd half was a different story. 

but Brentford will be a whole different story. we will see where we are after that game, as it is a big indicator of a top 6 challenge. A point will be a great result.

They beat Luton 7 nil, and have lost only once (Sheff Wed) in 8 games.
  • funny @Mark_Jack_London how we view things differently. I agree it was a more front foot swans in the second half - but take a look at the first 4 minutes (first half) of the extended highlights here     https://www.swanseacity.com/video/player/0_6yoi3rv0
    Connor was integral to our attacks and even ended up centre forward at one stage trying to head in a cross.
    Agree Brentford will be a watershed match for us to test whether our revival is because we have improved or whether we have been fed some easy fixtures. Any sort of result at Brentford would be awesome. 
  • you are basing your view on the highlights? 

I was there. we were definitely too deep for too much of that first half.

I didn't say we were camped in our own half the whole of that 45!   :frowning:
  • Yes I watched the Live Swans TV coverage and we were certainly more front foot second half - but Connor in particular was marauding forward at every opportunity. His opportunities were greatly assisted by the lack of threat carried by Luton.
    It will be interesting to see how advanced he gets at Brentford - i assume not so much!
  • Jackareme said:
    Yes I watched the Live Swans TV coverage and we were certainly more front foot second half - but Connor in particular was marauding forward at every opportunity. His opportunities were greatly assisted by the lack of threat carried by Luton.
    It will be interesting to see how advanced he gets at Brentford - i assume not so much!
    & in the first half on the other wing,  around me we were moaning at how many times Bidwell & Celina kept knocking crosses to the far corner flag!
    Jackareme