Football betting site Betway

Swans Fan Forum in Taibach

edited January 23 in Swansea City
Just curious if anyone on here is going to the fans forum in Taibach RFC tonight (7pm)? 

Be interested to hear what Trevor Birch, Steve Cooper and Leon have to say about various things  :)

Comments

• keep checking on this tweeter. says they have recorded some of it. 
  • Steve Carroll is also going to post something on his blog tomorrow too: 
  • Fuller report from SOS. Very interesting reading.

http://sosfanzine.com/fans-forum-3/
    DenmarkJack
  • Thanks for posting Mark.

Very interesting.
  • Big thumbs up,ther was loads covered Personally I don’t believe birch when he says the owners aren’t taking money out but that’s just my opinion.like big Lenny McLean said in lock stock. You know cos you need to know it’s a need to know basis.and you don’t need to know!
  • Mixed bag. 

The good:
    "Said will step away from loans in the end. Birch says ideally we’d have no loans"

Good. We need a squad fully committed to Swansea City and wanting to develop a career at the club, not using us as a stepping stone to get more games at their parent club. I'm glad to hear this. 

The bad:
    "Cooper sees his philosophy as high pressing, wants us to 'run more' than opposition. Realised not everyone plays out from back so we don’t always need to. Style of play is 'associated' with the ball but need to pay as much attention to without the ball"

Confirmation of what many of us had already long suspected - there's no way he's a "Swansea Way" manager with that kind of philosophy. Which either means he blagged his way in at interview and there's now an uneasy truce between club and manager, or the club has privately gone in another direction but simply hasn't deigned to inform any of us. Either way it would at least finally explain why we've spent most of the season smacking the ball into the channels, unable to string more than a couple of passes together.
    Jeff_CowbridgeWynJackareme
  • Reading this I echo some of the comments, we are not going to be the team of old. We are going forward under the
     Swansea City FC 2.0
     youth, sell our stars to the highest bidder and run a club on a shoe string budget. SC is used to working with kids and that’s why he is here, I said it before and will say again. Birch will build a model of a youth team and SC is the yes man they want. Gone are the days of big names, egos, characters on and off the pitch. 
    I listen to the Peter Crouch Podcast how he talks about leaders, Captains, and players lifestyles etc. I compare what he says to how the club is now and we miss it in the team / club. Gone are the fun days of the pink Suzuki Vitara, furry coats at the races etc. The team and club is distancing itself from what it was quicker than Lawro can predict a result. Yes the promised land is just talk of the past and an aim for us all, the city is not proud like it was in the petty era, the rise of the club, very rare you see kids knocking around in kits around Swansea. I’m sorry but for me Swansea City of old has left a memory in my mind and I am struggling a bit more each day for the love of the club. SCFV V2.0 is here and I can’t seem to find myself to love it anymore. 
  • Mixed bag. 

The good:
    "Said will step away from loans in the end. Birch says ideally we’d have no loans"

Good. We need a squad fully committed to Swansea City and wanting to develop a career at the club, not using us as a stepping stone to get more games at their parent club. I'm glad to hear this. 

The bad:
    "Cooper sees his philosophy as high pressing, wants us to 'run more' than opposition. Realised not everyone plays out from back so we don’t always need to. Style of play is 'associated' with the ball but need to pay as much attention to without the ball"

Confirmation of what many of us had already long suspected - there's no way he's a "Swansea Way" manager with that kind of philosophy. Which either means he blagged his way in at interview and there's now an uneasy truce between club and manager, or the club has privately gone in another direction but simply hasn't deigned to inform any of us. Either way it would at least finally explain why we've spent most of the season smacking the ball into the channels, unable to string more than a couple of passes together.
    I agree with you up to a point Gary. The fundamental problem perhaps is that there aren't that many Swansea Way managers out there, let alone available when we have a vacancy. If you look at the Championship and even the Premier League, how many managers have a strong commitment to play a brand of possession-based, close-passing, triangular football? In the Championship you have Parker at Fulham, Bielsa up to a point (although he's much more attack-minded than most possession-based managers), Franck at Brentford, and that's about it. Even managers from the continent, who you might expect to be more interested in playing a possession game, don't seem to be that possession focussed - think Lamouchi and Cocu. In the Premier League you have plenty of managers who aren't remotely Swansea Way,  Dyche, Hodgson, Bruce, Pearson and Moyes for starters. 

I find our style of play under Cooper frustrating a lot of the time - because for me aesthetics matter as much, if not more than success on the pitch. But that doesn't blind me to the fact that Cooper's track record to date is a good one, and he's done a number of things that have improved us. Not least our set piece defending - which has gone from worst in the league to second best. I think Cooper's critics would get a better hearing if they made a distinction between offering an aesthetic (which is personal) critique and a more objective appreciation of the effectiveness of the football on offer. 
  • Wyn said:
    I find our style of play under Cooper frustrating a lot of the time - because for me aesthetics matter as much, if not more than success on the pitch. But that doesn't blind me to the fact that Cooper's track record to date is a good one, and he's done a number of things that have improved us. Not least our set piece defending - which has gone from worst in the league to second best. I think Cooper's critics would get a better hearing if they made a distinction between offering an aesthetic (which is personal) critique and a more objective appreciation of the effectiveness of the football on offer. 
    When we beat a team in the top half of the division again (which we haven't done since August) we can start patting him on the back for the effectiveness of his football. Since that miraculous result against Leeds we've only beaten Charlton (19th), Wigan (23rd), Boro (17th, were in the relegation places at the time), Luton (24th) and Cardiff (13th). 

He's an archetypal British manager. Apart from the set piece defending what else has improved?
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Face up to it lads,Toshack,Martinez and Laudrup only appear very rarely .Possibly only once in a lifetime --I can vouch for that.
    deekay
  • So, they only appear once in a lifetime, yet you've already had three in yours.  :D
  • So Birch is at it again, load of hot air, and states complete opposites in the same sentence, he is a master of it. 

For example.....The club is not looking for a buyer.......then says....there are not many looking to buy a football club at the moment

Looks like Ayew will stay.......only because we can not find anyone to buy him.

We are looking to come away from loans......yes, because they do not even want to pay for loans, they want to use under 23 players on peanuts, flog them on if any good, rinse and repeat, until they can get shot of the club.

And most on here hang on his every word, gullible is not strong enough really, he must be laughing, he throws the old kipper, and everyone is waiting to catch it. Next thing you know, he will be buying a round.

Chris_Sharmanmoorlands
  • Wyn said:
    Mixed bag. 

The good:

The bad:

I agree with you up to a point Gary. The fundamental problem perhaps is that there aren't that many Swansea Way managers out there, let alone available when we have a vacancy. If you look at the Championship and even the Premier League, how many managers have a strong commitment to play a brand of possession-based, close-passing, triangular football? In the Championship you have Parker at Fulham, Bielsa up to a point (although he's much more attack-minded than most possession-based managers), Franck at Brentford, and that's about it. Even managers from the continent, who you might expect to be more interested in playing a possession game, don't seem to be that possession focussed - think Lamouchi and Cocu. In the Premier League you have plenty of managers who aren't remotely Swansea Way,  Dyche, Hodgson, Bruce, Pearson and Moyes for starters. 

They are out there if you're prepared to look hard enough Wyn, Potter was proof of that. The golden thread where we appointed Roberto, Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup consecutively also backs up that if you're looking in the right places and speaking to the right people, it can be done.

I get your point about acknowledging the effectiveness and many will point to our position in the table on that. But as Jasper has pointed out, since the opening month we haven't really beaten anyone of note, and as I keep saying, if you believe (as I do) that we lucked out in August, 7 wins in 22 league games since would suggest that it isn't very effective at all actually. 

I don't blame Leon, Curt and Birch for appointing Cooper, he must have done a belting interview and convinced them he is something that he is not. That happens in interviews in all walks of life. The hardest thing as a recruiter is admitting you've made a mistake and rectifying it as soon as possible. They've not arrived at that point yet - but they will.
  • deekay said:
    So, they only appear once in a lifetime, yet you've already had three in yours.  :D
    Dead right Deekay,I have been very lucky,but it has been 62 years ;)
    deekay
  • I thought there was a lot of common sense in the forum. You have to balance the books, so it loans and younger players for now but some of the youngsters are experienced players. More home grown players is the way forward.