Football betting site Betway

January Transfer Window 2020

Comments

• Borja, Carroll, McKay and John all gone.

Carlsberg don't do transfer window departures, but.....
    For once we agree Gary !!! It frees up finance and might help the academy.Not to mention watching this has got to be better than watching that other departure stuff which happened at 11.
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Dyer Kaplan and levin and it would have been a full house.

Mark_Jack_London
  • Fantastic window. Wish all 4 departed players best wishes but glad they’ve gone.
  • gutted it didnt work out for Borja. but he's not the first, and wont be the last player I liked but it didnt work out for. 

Hope he finds his form again. because not once did he throw his toys when he wasnt picked or poorly treated (by Bobbly and Clement).
    moorlandsChris_SharmanArch_Stantondeekay
  • Jack Evans gone to Mansfield on loan.
  • Any accountants out there who'd like to do a return on investment on this bunch?  Never mind: too depressing.    :'(

• it will also be interested in knowing who did the negotiating. how much Leon was involved - hopefully learning a lot from the Chairman.

also, what, if any role, Scott played in finding moves for these players.
  • Let’s be fair this is the best transfer deadline day we’ve ever had and we haven’t signed anybody! Oh and happy brexit day everyone oh Tommy Tommy!
  • Tommy tommy tommy Tom Carroll 
  • Any accountants out there who'd like to do a return on investment on this bunch?  Never mind: too depressing.    :'(

TC only cost £4.5m. (3.5 year deal)

Borja £15.5m (4 year deal)

Clucas is anyone's guess, as it was undisclosed. We also gave them Kingsley. unconfirmed reports stated £16.5m. None say if that figure included Kingsley or not. And no confirmation on what add-ons there may have been. Whatever the actual figure was, it was too much. It was reported by the BBC Hull had turned down a £12m offer from us. (4 year deal)

Mesa cost £11m. (4 year deal)

Add in the wages - all will have been on £35m+ which is a minimum of £1.8m per season, per man in wages.
  • Jack Evans has gone on loan to L2 side Mansfield. 
  • 16.5m for clucas don’t get me wrong a decent championship player but ffs whoever thought of that price can he come and value my house at the same time!is  is it me or can anyone still believe we payed 16m for clucas.hes no pace he can’t twist or turn drop the shoulder create in the box he’s all left foot. I’m convinced huw thought he was going to be the next lampard!and that’s huw for you bless him!
    garetharogers
  • Neal warnock on transfer deadline day absolutely love the guy talks so much sense  tells you all the little niggles that goes on behind the scenes love him or hate him he’s box office!
  • he scored against us with his right the other week. a bloody good shot from outside the box. so not quite all left foot. 

But, he's not worth £16m in anyone's money. 

Burnley got it right when they offered us £8m for him, when we got relegated. then pulled out!
  • Mark I couldn’t care iff he done a bicycle kick I’ve said he’s a decent player and not hopeless like someone said I’ve seen enough off him to think he’s a championship player and a good one at that.
  • So as predicted MacKay  gone on loan, Borja gone, John gone, Carroll released. Cullen still with us.
    4 from 5 predictions, not bad

• I cant help thinking Aston Villa are going down the same route as we did when relegated, they have made signings desperate to stay in the Premiership, the 4 they signed wont do it, no disrespect to Borja but he wont hit the 10+ goals they need by May  
  • So how much went into Carroll's pocket to make him walk away?
  • edited February 1
    It looks like we've made some good savings on wages whilst trimming the squad of players who were not getting game time. However, I don't think the savings are quite as high as appears.
    I think the only one pure saving is for Borja as he has been permanently transferred - if he was on £40k per week then this is the big one.
    I can't imagine Fleetwood and Sunderland paying Barrie McKay and Declan John's full wages  - I'd say we were still paying a portion of their wages, and of course they could potentially return in the Summer.
    A deal was done with Tom Carroll so although we are saving his wages, I'm sure we would have paid up some of that, so that wouldn't be a 100% saving.
    It's difficult to know whether we've saved anything on Cian Harries's wages because maybe his loan club were picking up the whole of that, him being a younger player than the others. We have also received a fee from Bristol Rovers for him but the amount is undisclosed.
    Also a bit of a saving on Jack Evans's wages for a few months but that won't be much - good experience for him too.
    And there's also Liam Cullen's new contract which will have probably nibbled away a little bit on those savings.

Good luck to them all.

• I was thinking the same about Mckay and John. They’ll be back in the summer. Especially Mckay, “ stealing a living “ as someone described him, sums him up. 
    Didn’t really see enough of DJ, but he certainly had pace going forward, and in the right set up, perhaps could do well. 
    It will be an interesting sideshow, to see if all of our perceived “deadwood” floats or sinks without trace ?

garythenotrashcougar
  • edited February 1
    J4cka said:
    I was thinking the same about Mckay and John. They’ll be back in the summer. Especially Mckay, “ stealing a living “ as someone described him, sums him up. 
    Didn’t really see enough of DJ, but he certainly had pace going forward, and in the right set up, perhaps could do well. 
    It will be an interesting sideshow, to see if all of our perceived “deadwood” floats or sinks without trace ?

this hating on one of our players is low and uncalled for. ok so McKay didn't pull up trees but is it really necessary to get your kicks by disparaging him? i despair at the human race sometimes. 
    moorlandsgarythenotrashcougarBob
  • Presumably with Borja gone Liam Cullen will be looking to make the bench?
  • Good morning.

Excuse my ignorance, but why did Borja go on a ‘free’? Surely we could’ve received a small fee?

personally, I’m very happy to see the squad trimmed.

I still think John had something to offer but as my dad is a Sunderland supporter, I’ll keep an eye on his performances. 

Looking forward to the rest of the season now, if keep most of the squad fit. 
  • Good morning.

Excuse my ignorance, but why did Borja go on a ‘free’? Surely we could’ve received a small fee?

personally, I’m very happy to see the squad trimmed.

I still think John had something to offer but as my dad is a Sunderland supporter, I’ll keep an eye on his performances. 

Looking forward to the rest of the season now, if keep most of the squad fit. 

Phillip said:
    So as predicted MacKay  gone on loan, Borja gone, John gone, Carroll released. Cullen still with us.
    4 from 5 predictions, not bad

Villa have taken over his contract for the rest of the season which should mean we would not have had to pay any monies (i.e loyalty bonus et al) to let him go but only on agreement of free transfer. 
    DenmarkJack
  • If you remove one game at Anfield from my memory, then I think Carroll just gave me more pleasure yesterday than he did in his whole time playing for us. Especially under Clement, I can't think of a Swans player who has been forgiven substandard performances and still picked so many times. Obviously that opinion takes into account where the club are and the quality of the players not getting picked.
    garythenotrashcougarJackareme
  • Well that was an interesting transfer window some in-comings and many outgoings. My thoughts are that from a first team point of view the team is definitely stronger (even more so when Rodon and VDH return from injury) but it's very small squad of 22 players (23 if you include Liam Cullen) and very inexperienced with the likes of Cabango & Carrick.

Also 6 of those 23 are loanees and 5 more (VDH, Naughton, Mulder, Dyer & Routledge) have contacts expiring, So come the end of the season we may have just 13 players!!

So whilst I think it's been a decent window and I am encouraged by the players that have departed ,it is just a start and we need to continue to have good transfer windows going forwards. 

Will be interesting to see how the loan players get on and hopefully John and Mckay do enough to get permanent moves. Interesting to see how Jack Evans gets on and that Benda continues to develop well as those two I think will be needed in the squad next season.

Of the other loaned out players I think Asoro and Peterson may still have something to offer (but both need to show more of the potential the have).

So overall this has been a good window but the summer window is massively important for the future our club. I am encouraged and feel we are moving in the right direction and trust we will continue the good work in the summer.

Ins

Rhian Brewster - on loan from Liverpool.

Marc Guehi - on loan from Chelsea.

Conor Gallagher - on loan from Chelsea.

Outs

Sam Surridge - recalled by Bournemouth.

Kristoffer Nordfeldt - permanent move to Genclerbirligi.

Kristoffer Peterson - loan move to Utrecht.

Cian Harries - permanent move to Bristol Rovers.

Declan John - loan move to Sunderland.

Barrie McKay - loan move to Fleetwood Town.

Tom Carroll - Contract terminated

Borja Baston - permanent to Aston Villa

Jack Evans - Loan to Mansfield

• Too early to tell. Gallagher should be good, but Brewster and Guehi carry a lot of question marks given that it's their first loans and the former has missed a lot of football over the last few years, since the u17s hype was at its peak. A lot of pressure on him to deliver for us with only Cullen and Ayew as alternatives.
  • edited February 1
    If you remove one game at Anfield from my memory, then I think Carroll just gave me more pleasure yesterday than he did in his whole time playing for us. Especially under Clement, I can't think of a Swans player who has been forgiven substandard performances and still picked so many times. Obviously that opinion takes into account where the club are and the quality of the players not getting picked.
    Some wont accept it, you seem one, Colin, but TC and Ki - two players slaughtered on here (some of it justified), were instrumental in keeping us up in Clement's first (half) season. It wasn't just the Liverpool game. 

We were dropping like a stone until Fer got injured at Watford, and 3 "footballers" were thrust together (Leon being the other). 

That triumphant kept hold of the ball, and passed our way to safety, with some to spare in the end. 

The next season Clement reverted to type, and we all know what happened. 

So very easy to have a pop at individuals. But if you dont put complimentary players together, and use the right tactics to utilise their skills, then a lot of players will look crap.

whatever the reasons, there is a better player in there than we ever saw. not the first time we've seen that though.
    Jeff_CowbridgebarryWyn
  • Carroll and Ki were shite...end of