Football betting site Betway

Next season...

Good morning. 

After recent results, and more importantly performances, I am feeling more optimistic for next season under Cooper than I was a month ago. 

I know we do not know which division we will be in next season but I’m basing future planning on the premises we’ll be in the championship again. (Which I won’t be disappointed if that’s the case.)

What players from the current crop could you expect to see starting? 

Out of the loan players, I’d be happy if they all returned.

Personally, I don’t think any of the loan players are good enough for the premier league yet. 

So I’d love to have Brewster, Gallagher, Guehi, and Woodman again. 

Do we stick with the 3 4 1 2 formation? I’ve thought it’s definitely brought out the best of Bidwell,Ayew and Grimes. 

barry

Comments

• Can see us keeping Gallagher, Guehi, for next season. Woodman might sign as a permie.

Brewster, perhaps at least until Christmas.

Even if they go Chelsea and Liverpool will be happy to loan us more of their most promising stars as they can see they have been will get game time here and develop.

DenmarkJackFyldeJack
  • Where's the money coming from to keep them Barry?

Maybe you know something I don't, but we've got several permanent players leaving this summer, and those loan players don't come cheap on PL money. 

With parachute money dropping as well, how do we justify bringing back expensive loans like that when we have huge gaps to fill in the squad elsewhere?
  • Hopefully our promising young players will get a chance before we bring in so many from more fashionable clubs in their positions. Neither Guehi nor Wilmot established themselves ahead of Cabango. We could spend big money on Woodman and have Benda rot on the bench. Gallagher came in to a squad chock full of potential 10s.

We'll need a striker. 
    ColinNorthampton
  • From our U23 squad I think only Rushesha, Oli Cooper and Cam Evans are near to being given their first team opportunity next season and for some reason Cam has yet to be given an extended contract.
    DenmarkJackgarythenotrashcougar
  • edited July 19
    @Colin_swansea

Head on the chopping block - you see them more than I do - how ready are those three for Championship football next season? 

Would they represent a high/medium/low risk if they became a regular part of the squad (which I suspect they will have to, with money tight)?
  • From our U23 squad I think only Rushesha, Oli Cooper and Cam Evans are near to being given their first team opportunity next season and for some reason Cam has yet to be given an extended contract.
    Not sure about Cameron myself, bit small for a centre half and might find himself trying to progress without a "natural" position (Regan Poole had a similar problem). His brother's the more talented footballer, and despite not getting the chance at Mansfield (none of it his fault from what I've heard, just poor timing with their form picking up and the season ending early) is capable of being involved with us next season imo. Squad lacks a natural holding mid to backup or play alongside Grimes and he's as good we're likely to find on loan unless someone like Ampadu felt like slumming it.

Cameron, Dan Williams and Mason Jones-Thomas all got extensions to August 4th, hopefully an extra year is in the pipeline for all of them.
    DenmarkJack
  • I dont see us buying Woodman. no chance, unless we sell Ayew and Rodon for big money. And I am not sure we'll see either of those things happening either.

Joe, mainly because of his injury record over the last 2 seasons will have lowered his suitors or helped increase his value.
  • @Mark_Jack_London Bruce said about a month ago he was going to give Woodman another 1 year extension and loan him out again
  • With regard to holding MF - a lot will depend on the ability and forward progress of Jack Evans. I hear great things but am not qualified to give an opinion - thoughts?
  • I have posted on many occasions that Jack is ready to progress and imho was the outstanding player this season for the u23's. Very disappointed that he has been denied that opportunity. Hopefully he will get his chance next season.
  • @Colin_swansea

Head on the chopping block - you see them more than I do - how ready are those three for Championship football next season? 

Would they represent a high/medium/low risk if they became a regular part of the squad (which I suspect they will have to, with money tight)?
    The best thing for Rushesha, Cam and Oli is a season out on loan but with the increase in the number of substitutes next season either player could well make the bench.

The one player who I forgot is Joe Lewis a natural left footer who can play anywhere across the back and who had good reviews last season at Torquay United. 
    garythenotrashcougarDenmarkJack
  • Where's the money coming from to keep them Barry?

Maybe you know something I don't, but we've got several permanent players leaving this summer, and those loan players don't come cheap on PL money. 
    The money
    With parachute money dropping as well, how do we justify bringing back expensive loans like that when we have huge gaps to fill in the squad elsewhere?
    The money?Good point.We made 30m on Siggy alone .Questions need to be asked and I thought the Trust was there for that.However,they seem impotent.An utter irrelevance .No way should we be so skint.

The lack of feedback and interaction between the Owners and fans is staggering .

After 60 yrs as a fan,I feel the time is drawing near when I will simply watch the flowers grow instead of watching a gormless cretin ,hands in pockets,gurning chatting to a disinterested Marsh and a hapless Tate.

It is entirely possible we could be 2 leagues apart from cardiff very soon.

And to think we took the ****** out of them.

• Wilmot will be needed by Watford if they are relegated, possibly even if they stay up with a new manager coming in.

Brewster might be allowed to stay but doubt it as Liverpool will need him to step up, prediction, he goes to a newly promoted or mid table team.

Keeping Gallagher is more than optimistic, he has proven himself in Championship, predict he goes to Leeds his work rate would fit in well.

Doubt Newcastle would want to keep Woodman but would hope to sell, that rules us out unless dead cheap.

Kalulu and Guihi can go, they are no better than average with injury doubts on both.

Rodon, Celina, Ayew will be sold.

We have 5 loaned out coming back with only the goalkeeper worth a shout.

Naughton, VDH, Dyer and Routledge out of contract so gone unless Naughton will stay for 3K a week.

That leaves Bidwell, Roberts, Cabango, Grimes, Fulton and Byers, That's a  total of 6 more or less regular players to start with. Could call them seasoned professionals as apart from 1 they are all over 24 with Roberts having a sale value.

That's the reality of not getting promotion, the best we can hope for is all the players we loaned out come back different players.  As for new loan players, we have already exhausted all Coopers under 17 England squad and doubt whether he could get more, he has had his rabbit out of the hat chance.

6 regular first team players is no platform for success.

I fear they take the last parachute, sell a few more either sell or put us in administration.

We will of coarse have all the denier's, they never took a penny, they lost their investment and so did the 27, they did the best they could. They will forget the 2016 statement " They have serious money to invest to take us to the next level".

Only a miracle play off place and promotion will stop the inevitable, the luck, the cost cutting, the sales, the TV money is coming to the last seasons end.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell of these owners staying, without outside funding ( TV Money) (Transfer Sales). If it starts off badly next season and they know promotion is impossible, we will be in administration by April.

The instalments would have finished, the loans taken out against them have been spent on what who knows, administration with owners in America is staring us in the face because they have not signed any personal guarantees.

So next season if not all of it, will definitely be the Yanks last, ridicule me all you like but that's what next season holds   

• cecil said:
    Where's the money coming from to keep them Barry?

The money
    The money?Good point.We made 30m on Siggy alone .Questions need to be asked and I thought the Trust was there for that.However,they seem impotent.An utter irrelevance .No way should we be so skint.

The lack of feedback and interaction between the Owners and fans is staggering .

After 60 yrs as a fan,I feel the time is drawing near when I will simply watch the flowers grow instead of watching a gormless cretin ,hands in pockets,gurning chatting to a disinterested Marsh and a hapless Tate.

The question of where the Gylfi money went is incredibly easy to answer if you look at our transfers that season. Ayew, Clucas, Bony, Roque Mesa, massive loan fee for Sanches. Abraham wasn't cheap. We're skint because we were spending all our income on inflated wages (the highest wage to turnover % in the division when we went down), nothing was being put aside for a rainy day except in the form of academy investment.

The Championship in general is spending way too much on wages as well. To even keep our promising young players we're having to hand out deals that aren't really sustainable on an EFL income. Even the well-run clubs at this level spend more than 100% of their income on wages and recoup the difference in player sales. The ones that stick to their budget tend to get relegated. It's a sad state of affairs.
  • Phillip said:
    Wilmot will be needed by Watford if they are relegated, possibly even if they stay up with a new manager coming in.

Brewster might be allowed to stay but doubt it as Liverpool will need him to step up, prediction, he goes to a newly promoted or mid table team.

Keeping Gallagher is more than optimistic, he has proven himself in Championship, predict he goes to Leeds his work rate would fit in well.

Doubt Newcastle would want to keep Woodman but would hope to sell, that rules us out unless dead cheap.

Kalulu and Guihi can go, they are no better than average with injury doubts on both.

Naughton, VDH, Dyer and Routledge out of contract so gone unless Naughton will stay for 3K a week.

That leaves Bidwell, Roberts, Cabango, Grimes, Fulton and Byers, That's a  total of 6 more or less regular players to start with. Could call them seasoned professionals as apart from 1 they are all over 24 with Roberts having a sale value.

That's the reality of not getting promotion, the best we can hope for is all the players we loaned out come back different players.  As for new loan players, we have already exhausted all Coopers under 17 England squad and doubt whether he could get more, he has had his rabbit out of the hat chance.

I fear they take the last parachute, sell a few more either sell or put us in administration.

We will of coarse have all the denier's, they never took a penny, they lost their investment and so did the 27, they did the best they could. They will forget the 2016 statement " They have serious money to invest to take us to the next level".

Only a miracle play off place and promotion will stop the inevitable, the luck, the cost cutting, the sales, the TV money is coming to the last seasons end.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell of these owners staying, without outside funding ( TV Money) (Transfer Sales). If it starts off badly next season and they know promotion is impossible, we will be in administration by April.

The instalments would have finished, the loans taken out against them have been spent on what who knows, administration with owners in America is staring us in the face because they have not signed any personal guarantees.

So next season if not all of it, will definitely be the Yanks last, ridicule me all you like but that's what next season holds   

Oh Dear,We may as well pack up after the last whistle on Wednesday.All is lost apparently.
  • Interesting post Phillip. 

I agree mostly with your points on the loan players. I think Gallagher would be a good fit for Leeds. 

Are there any players out on loan will be returning to us that could be become part of the squad?

Peterson is the obvious ‘big name’ but I’m not sure where he’d fit in if we stick to the 3 4 1 2 formation. 

I think John as back up to Bidwell is a good option. 

I hope McKay and Asora will get sold. 

• Phillip said:
    Wilmot will be needed by Watford if they are relegated, possibly even if they stay up with a new manager coming in.

Im taking a knife to my veins after that
  • moorlands said:
    Phillip said:

Oh Dear,We may as well pack up after the last whistle on Wednesday.All is lost apparently.

Moorlands, I do understand where you're coming from here, it is a bit speculative from Phillip and a bit 'doom and gloom' but does this sort of response really help the quality of debate on the site?

In the same way it is completely reasonable to look at the positives, like you and Pablo tend to do, there is also room for the more cynical view based on a entirely justified suspicion of our owners. Pooh-poohing views like this without attempting to engage or construct a counter argument seems a little bit unreasonable to me.
    SeaJack
  • Hi Gary,
    I accept your chiding on this.

You could be right,I may be guilty of a little sarcasm,which is probably unfair on Philip as a lot of work and feeling went into the post.Frankly life is too short for me to get involved again in comment on unshakeable and regularly expressed views.
    As for suggesting  a more cheerful outlook --that is quite legitimate I think.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • There is room for the doom and gloom outlook with our club. But it’s always good to add a sprinkling of romanticism as well to temper it. Whilst a lot of what Phillip says resonates with me, especially on my gloomier days when thinking about the Swans, I do have a great deal of optimism with regards to the club as well. My thoughts on administration is that it’s on a knife edge but is by no means inevitable. As for Damocles’s sword, that one hangs over this coming Wednesday in my books. If we somehow make the playoffs then by all means put the doom and gloom to one side for a spell and celebrate it in full.
  • cecil said:
    Where's the money coming from to keep them Barry?

The money

We made 45.7M on Siggy, (The whole sale price) we bought him part exchange for Davies and Vorm with Spurs paying the difference . Ayew was sold for 21.5 M bought for 18M there was no sign on fee when he came here.
    As for expensive loans, none are on more than 10K a week, when lent to a championship side as they havent broke into the first team. Tammy was on 19K double what he got at Bristol City.
    Yes we have lost a little on Baston, Messa Clucus but we did get something. Clucus cost us the most 7M ( Bought for 13M in exchange for Kingsleigh then sold for 6M. but we also made huge profits since relegation
    The wages are always somehow exaggerated, last year people were saying all the under 23s were on 10K a week.  James was on 3K Roberts 3K and Ollie until they gave him 10K 
    They always put total wages in the accounts, obviously the players make up the vast majority by far.  Yet 2015 accounts show 59M then the first season the new owners took over it went to 99M, to get that extra 40M increase we would have needed an extra 8 players on 100K a week, what we did get was 16o extra staff which makes it look good on paper.  We did take an extra 7 PR people and 40 extra stewards, they were also counting gate men, cleaners etc, following year wages went down 2M. Now we dont have a clue.   As stated before a squad all on 10K a week only comes to 13M Ayew takes it to 18M.   Our Income this year or last season was 90M ( Sales) Parachute and tickets.  This year our minimum income will be 43M plus any sales.  People need to wake up we have been done like a kipper.   Total wages have never exceeding income and Transfers are 70M profit possibly more.   
  • Fag packet maths at their finest.
    moorlands
  • jasper_T said:
    Fag packet maths at their finest.
    Be nice to see the owners give their version because they rely on DOF to just give the same old shit, we are losing money, we have over invested, we needed loans, any of that ring a bell or are they just fag packet statements.  I have tried to provide logical reasoning based on summary figures the club have provided.  Its just the summary figures never give actual breakdowns.   Even if they just published first team squad wages apposed to total wages which hides a multitude.  Just answer 1 question, why did the total wages go up from 59M to 99M the year they took over? that's one hell of an increase 
  • edited July 20
    Phillip said:
    jasper_T said:
    Be nice to see the owners give their version because they rely on DOF to just give the same old shit, we are losing money, we have over invested, we needed loans, any of that ring a bell or are they just fag packet statements.  I have tried to provide logical reasoning based on summary figures the club have provided.  Its just the summary figures never give actual breakdowns.   Even if they just published first team squad wages apposed to total wages which hides a multitude.  Just answer 1 question, why did the total wages go up from 59M to 99M the year they took over? that's one hell of an increase 
    Where do you get that £59m figure from because the 2017 accounts show total wages went from £81.8m in 2016 to £98.7m. It was £82.5m the "year" before but that was 14 months due to the change in financial year end. £63.2m in 2014. A bargain £48m in the 12-13 season.
  • jasper_T said:
    Phillip said:
    jasper_T said:
    Where do you get that £59m figure from because the 2017 accounts show total wages went from £81.8m in 2016 to £98.7m. It was £82.5m the "year" before but that was 14 months due to the change in financial year end. £63.2m in 2014. A bargain £48m in the 12-13 season.
    My mistake wages and salaries was 72M in 2015, it was 56M in 2014 we also had total overdrafts/ loans and interest of  23M ( it doesn't show for what   but a dividend of 1M taken on profits?  wages and salaries were the same for 2016 as accounts were submitted the day they took over but the 23M was gone in one hit, we have to presume money owed in transfers but way before siggy, possibly Williams by showing a deficit and getting paid straight after accounts closed. 2017 and the accounts were submitted a year late, it shows  debts owed by participating interests 24M which is inclusive of interest, seems the same money written of in 2016 is back, the wage bill goes up 13M 2018 wage bill drops 13M but the 24M is now 34M money owed to participating parties ? Transfers don't seem to figure, as they are included when we buy but deferred on sales to the  next year. Depreciation by amortization is just another way of legally doing double accounting, most clubs do it  as a depreciated asset.  Perhaps that's why football clubs make their accounts so complicated and no transparency to avoid scrutiny.  Thats all I know is that total sales exceeded total purchases. Total income always exceeded wages and salaries, however it looks like operating costs which should be accounted for are in the 20 millions which obviously cant happen now, so it would be brilliant if we can know how they will disappear
    deekaySeaJackjasper_T
  • Phillip, Bullshit baffles brains, the Trust, for all its perceived faults see the figures monthly, they would not allow anything to slip and if your figures Phillip, were even the slightest bit close to the mark, don't you think the Trust would be all over them like a rash?, on top of that, the Supporters Director, who is an accountant himself, meets with the clubs head of finance weekly as well as Trevor Birch, another chartered accountant.
    The only way the owners can take money from the club is by way of a dividend, for that to happen, the club has to be in profit, its not, also, the Trust would get 21% of any dividend paid out, as far as I'm aware, its not.
    The Trust could nail these conspiracy theories easily but have decided not to defend the owners, and why should they.
  • Both articles are excellent and required reading if your worried about our financial situation. Not dealing with Phillips owner theories but for those buying his administration pitch you should read a detailed analysis of our most recent seasons numbers. We are in superb shape pre-covid and anyone thinking we could go to admin after reading the analysis is smoking the happy stuff. Stoke's dire situation is provided for comparison. Perhaps Phillip would like to have seen, done to us, what the Coates family did at Stoke and the money mess they are in now.

Swans

https://financialfootballnews.com/swansea-citys-2019-finances-relegation-pains/

Stoke

https://financialfootballnews.com/stoke-citys-2019-finances-cold-wet-and-windy/
  • jollyboy said:
    Phillip, Bullshit baffles brains, the Trust, for all its perceived faults see the figures monthly, they would not allow anything to slip and if your figures Phillip, were even the slightest bit close to the mark, don't you think the Trust would be all over them like a rash?, on top of that, the Supporters Director, who is an accountant himself, meets with the clubs head of finance weekly as well as Trevor Birch, another chartered accountant.
    The only way the owners can take money from the club is by way of a dividend, for that to happen, the club has to be in profit, its not, also, the Trust would get 21% of any dividend paid out, as far as I'm aware, its not.
    The Trust could nail these conspiracy theories easily but have decided not to defend the owners, and why should they.
    Politics getting in the way of keeping supporters properly informed. They benefit from letting the conspiracy theories demonising the owners run rampant as you say. Unavoidable consequence of the organisation holding a financial stake in the club, I suppose.

There's enough to criticise without the nonsense on top, trying to claim tens of millions have gone missing. We don't have massive debt and the consequences of relegation on a club's income are well documented. 
  • Is Petersen back with us? 

The Dutch league never resumed so I presume he’s our player again? But haven’t heard him mentioned or on the bench? 
  • I'm long past the point where I thought the owners were up to something illegal. By now, they'd have surely been pulled on it by the relevant authorities.

That said, it remains a very strange course of action to deny the Trust's Supporter Director access to full accounts without signing an NDA, a position they've now maintained for coming up to 2 years. You don't do that to a fellow Director if you've got nothing to hide. Only they will know what it is. 

And, we also have to bear in mind, as someone has posted before - may well have been Phillip actually - there are many, many legal ways of getting money out of one entity and into another. Pre-relegation, we all know how much the non playing wage bill swelled, appoint of an overpaid CEO who delivered nothing, purchase of land, lease etc. There was largesse everywhere you cared to look. Well, everywhere except where it mattered, on the pitch.

So, no, they're not crooks this lot, but they are professional obfuscators who (unfortunately for us) know exactly what they are doing.