Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Stoke City - Championship 2020/21

edited October 28 in Swansea City

This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Stoke City Championship game on Tuesday 27 October 2020 at 7:45pm.

Referee Andre Marriner will be assisted by Scott Ledger and Simon Long, with Kevin Johnson the 4th Official for the game.

A live stream of the game (for non-season ticket holders) can be bought from the Official Swans TV Live service for £10.

Have a browse of the Swansea City v Stoke City Head to Head Stats since the first meeting at the Vetch Field in 1925.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and your score predictions in this discussion thread.

Comments

• After hearing SC is as keen as me on analysing the refs before the game and how my analysis has led to 2 accurate predictions out of 2 for penalties to be awarded during the Huddersfield and Bristol matches. I thought I'd do a midweek special for the Stoke match.

So our ref of the day is Andre Marriner. That is good in a number of respects, even though he has trouble identifying a straight line for offsides. We need to be careful or some offside tonk (he is from the West Midlands) will get a winner against us.

First of all his name on Andre so he will naturally favour our Ayew and our Andre will get special consideration and protection, resulting in many free kicks in our favour. Secondly as he is a Marriner, he will feel comfortable by the sea in Swansea and have a natural bias in our favour as we are Swans.

Being slightly more prosaic he normally refs in the PL and doesnt slum it in the Championship very often, generally he doesnt give as many freekicks as most refs so expect the match to flow more, unfortunately Connor's well known inner ear problem will probably get less freekicks than normal. Generally he doesnt issue many yellow cards (about 2 per match) or red cards (about 1 even 12 matches). Its the same for penalties last season about 1 in 12 matches.

However, and this is a big however, it may be down to rule changes or VAR but of his stats the only one that has changed this season, is awarding penalties. Here is the bad news, he is averaging one penalty per match so far this season.

Sad to say therefore I am predicting another penalty to be awarded tomorrow.

One final point Andre is a cricketing aficionardo and learnt some of his rules from his knowledge of cricket, therefore in case I havent mentioned it: he has difficulty distinguishing his off-side from his on-side!

SeaJackPablo
  • Stoke unbeaten in 7 games but despite looking easy winners over Brentford at one point on Saturday the game stats show different.

Stoke

Possession 33%

Shots 7

On Target 4

Corners 2

• Will probably award a penalty for the first slip in the box then😃

JackRaven
  • McClean to score , him and Fletcher on good form .

• The match is featured on Sky, so there are 3 options in the uk, as a Swans fan, if you want to see the match.

1. Pay for Sky.
    2. Watch the match in one of the dark regions internet.
    3. Pay £10 to Stoke City and use their streaming service.
  • Think you can watch it through the usual club station if a STH.

https://twitter.com/SwansOfficial/status/1320693699408502784?s=19

• Indeed now the website also says non season ticket holders in the uk can buy the stream. I'm sure it didnt say that earlier

• But can they do it on a wet October Tuesday night in Swansea ?

• Don't worry probably Clucas will come back and haunt us again

Jackareme
  • I’m not feeling particularly confident about this one. A 1-1 draw is on the cards I feel. My guess is JR that the we will be downed by a penalty call in favour of the Potters. Such is life in the Swans lane.

• So they had 7 shots and 4 on target with 33% of possession that's more than we have had in 2 games, we will have to up our game, this will be the hardest test yet

• edited October 26

@SeaJack

We need SC to get the blend of players and style right so we can start winning at home. Frankly this season and the backend of last season, I'd prefer us to be playing away matches and no home matches.

Perhaps SC should view this as an away match!!!!

• @JackRaven

They all seem like away matches in these times .

JackRaven
  • Not having watched any game so far,and having relied on BBC Radio Wales commentary and the Highlights from the Club Website,I'm not sure having read the majority of analysis from the vocal regulars on here that it's worth planning to watch this one on TV.

Atalanta v Ajax may be a better way to while away the evening.Assuming that is that the negativity being expressed here is even handed.

Pablo
  • You will certainly see better football in the atalanta v Ajax game - depends what is in your heart @moorlands

• Not the same when your team isn't playing , there is only one Swansea City .

JackRaven
  • Given the way both teams usually play, I find it a bit odd Sky have picked this one up for live coverage but there we are. I can only think because until recently it was a regular PL fixture and therefore retains an element of 'glamour'.

Stoke are one of only a handful of teams where for once I will go as far as saying I don't really care about the performance as long as we win - can't bloody stand them!

SeaJackGingergitFyldeJack
  • I agree I just want our players to lace up their assisting & scoring boots and get a few goals.

• My picks for the match tonight if we are playing 3-4-1-2

..........................................Woodman............................................

..................Cabango...........Bennett.............Guehi.......................

Naughton..................Smith...............Grimes.................Manning

..............................................Palmer..............................................

........................Lowe.......................................Ayew.......................

and if we are playing a 4-2-3-1

..........................................Woodman............................................

Naughton..............Bennett.................Guehi....................Bidwell

................................Smith...............Grimes...................................

...........Ayew........................Palmer..........................Lowe..............

........................................ .Gyokeres...............................................

In both teams I'd encourage The left back Bidwell or Manning to get forward and for Naughton to just keep the right side of midfield solid as Andre will be drifting all around the pitch.

A bit early but COYS

SeaJack
  • I like the look of the first line up you've chosen

Might be tempted to go for Fulton in place of either Grimes or Smith, probably Smith as he has had injury problems and may not stand up well to 2 games per week

Gyokeres is a good late sub with Garrick

Longer term I'd like to see a MF that really get hold of the ball and bosses possession

Until January no MGW but still strong with Smith Grimes Fulton Byers and Palmer

Looking forward to seeing Byers show how good he can be, if he's given a chance

Gingergit
  • I hoping that Steve Cooper takes a sneaky look at the guestbook and goes with your first team JR. Connor definitely needs to be rested enough for him to reflect on his falling down antics and how detrimental it was to the win on Saturday. As much as I think he’s a great player it seems that, like Ayew, he has his own foibles that let the team down on occasion. We’ll miss his free kick taking however. Can Ayew do a job in this department I wonder?

• Don’t mind Byers when he’s in an attacking mind set and actually attacking the goal, but for some reason he spent most of his time defending and killing games in my opinion, he spends to much time telling others what to do during games just wish he’d look at what he does himself, we lose to much possession through him and I can’t think of many players that win as many tackles as him but not walk away with the ball. The way Grimes is playing we could end up with two liability’s in midfield.

• Stoke are a more senior team than us, are off a quick turnaround and are travelling.

Cooper should make a minimum of 4 changes and send the team out to play with high intensity.

Naughton Manning Gyokores and Palmer should all start as a minimum

I would rest Cabango Bidwell Lowe and Smith/Grimes.

JackRaven
  • An important match tonight, we need to start some momentum with home results. A win puts us back in the mix at the top

• Don’t know about resting Lowe jackareme. Hardly seems wise after he scored a beaut on Saturday, but I guess there has to be rotation at some point. Bidwell is in good form too but whether fatigue forces a change. One thing is Palmer should come in as we played 3 holding midfielders against Bristol. SC has some nice options. You never know Dhanda might also be a consideration. Wonder if George is ready for the bench.

• Stoke, followed by Blackburn, then Brentford and finally Norwich before yet another International break.

Blackburn have scored 16, Brentford 12 but they also concede a few, Stoke 9 but conceded 7. According to the stats we have the joint 3rd best defence but are only 9th in the scoring charts.

After the break we have Rotherham and SW who will be fighting for survival but low scorers

In fact I cant see an easy game to win this season, they are all very physical sides, Wat, Card, Midd probably the worst and Reading the only ones just going for it and playing free flowing football.

We cant mix it physically so we need to Get the scoring bit right and we will do well, more adventure going forward and far more shots goes without saying, so is Palmer the answer to link defence and attack, hopefully

8 points from 12 before the break would be fantastic

• If that McLean is playing, look out bcos this guy will kick anything above a blade of grass. For all u oldies on here. What song was played when Stoke would run out on the VETCH. The Allchurch era.

• Manning and Dhanda start

• And naugthon... for Bidwell Smith and Cabango

• No Allen. No Clucas.

No Adam to score a dodgy penalty.

We could even keep a clean sheet tonight!

SeaJackDarren